Kittens

Old September 8th 03, 06:13 PM
Rain It Pours.... =-\\

Default Kittens

About 2 weeks ago, I found 3 kittens under a friend's trailer. Nobody
knows what happen to the mother, so I have been bottle feeding them.
They just begun to use the potty. And it amazed me when these little
guys actually used the litter box. I simply set them in there, and used
one of their front paws to show them they can dig. I didn't think at
this age they would learn, but they did. They can drink on their own
now. But i'm having trouble.. I've never had kittens before. Not raised
them anyway. How can I get them to eat solid cat food?

Or better yet, what can I feed them? Should I soften the cat food using
a lil bit of warm milk? They can't chew it. And I do not want them to
choke. Or should I use canned cat food? I've been told I should give
them canned food. But I also been told if I give it to them it could
kill them. I've been smashing solid food up, and they can eat it like
that, but I don't think it's satisfying them.

Could someone clear this up some?

Old September 8th 03, 07:22 PM
Cheryl Perkins

They are going to need more nutrition than they can get from milk soon, if
they don't already. There's a lot of discussion about cat food, but
generally either the dry or the wet will do, and the stuff labelled for
kittens is best for them. It's easy to say that you should only buy the
certain brands or types, but sometimes cats have very definite ideas about
what they like to eat. I like varying the food I feed mine so they
don't get fixated on one brand and flavour, but I have found that they
don't like some types at all. Other people say variety is not needed.
Pick a few different brands and flavours to try. The canned food is
easiest to eat, and seems most popular with cats and kittens, but one
of mine likes it so much she eats it really fast and hurks it back up.
Anyway, kittens are quite capable of eating dry food, and it doesn't have
to be softened with water or milk. You can, if you want to, of course.
Mine didn't care for it, so I only tried once or twice. Many people feed
their cats some of both canned and dry food.

Cheryl
Old September 8th 03, 08:34 PM
whayface

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:13:58 -0400 (EDT), (Rain
It Pours.... =-\\) wrote:

[...]

First about how old are they and have you taken them to the vet yet to
be checked over?

Start with canned food. Whoever told you it could kill them is a
little of their rocker, unless of course you shove it down their
throat. I bottle raised a litter of 5 and when they were ready to eat
solid (Canned) food they did. I just rubbed a little on my finger and
rubbed it on their mouth / lips and like I said when they were ready
they ate it. I also left a small dish of dry food for them but make
sure it is small bits so they can eat it when they are ready. By
about 7 weeks they were al eating some canned food but I still bottle
fed them for a while if they wanted it even though a couple were
drinking out of a bowl. Remember when they are ready to do whatever
they will. Do not try to force them!!

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Good luck.

Old September 9th 03, 11:26 PM
JSmith4973

BABY FOOD! They will probably lick it off a small spoon. We use ham, chicken
and turkey. Vet said to stay away from red meat.

Jeanne