Where is Everyone?

Old September 12th 15, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Where is Everyone?

dgk wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Ugh! Those waterbugs creep me out. There are lizards around here, too,
but I've never had one get inside the house.

I found it this afternoon. It was a lizard. Quite dead and I feel bad
about it. I like those lizards. They're all over the place here. And
it's inevitable that some get in the house. I saw one in the bathroom
this morning but it crawled under a cabinet and disappeared. They
never understand that I'm just trying to get it outside where it can
hunt juicy bugs.

And stay clear of your cats!

I've only seen one waterbug since I moved in 2 months ago and Marlo
had found it first so it was quite dead. They're still disgusting but
at least they aren't moving once they're dead.

Well, I hope not! If they are moving, you've got a problem.

--
Joyce

"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old September 13th 15, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
are you doing?"
We're expected to be in bed from 12-6 and if you aren't
and are out and about outside those times, the police will spot you and
ask
you why.
I think it's a good idea, tbh. My brother might not agree.
He got majorly fed up by being stopped by the police in the early hours
when
he was on his way to work. Luckily they finally realised he wasn't a
burglar.

It must be kind of boring waiting in a police car here for something to
jump
on.

Your brother didn't have a milk truck? Something that would make it
obvious that he was working? Did he use his own car to deliver milk??

He had a car which didn't say on the side "It's ok, I'm a milkman so it's
fine for me to be about at 2 a.m on the way to work"
I actually think it's good idea for police to look at you if you are out and
about at silly hours. If you have nothing to worry about, it's not a
problem. When I rushed Boyfie to the vet at midnight with his intestines
poking out, I thought, please do not let the police stop me..

Now that was one of the worst times of my life. I drove very carefully and
to the speed limit but I wanted to hurtle like crazy.

Old September 15th 15, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Joy

I've been lucky so far that I've not been in hospital but always
think that patients must look forward to getting visitors.

Judith

Ain't that just the truth.

Old September 15th 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 10:09:10 AM UTC, jmcquown wrote:
I know real life interferes at times but this ng has suddenly gone quiet.

Still around just not much to report

Spirit's overgrooming was possibly a flea allergy- couldn't see any but she stopped it after a dose of Frontline and a month on hypoallergic food. She's still a tad bald at the rear end as she's waiting to grow her floofiness back up but she's curled up on my lap purring right now

Bonnie is curled up on the bed

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 16th 15, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I know real life interferes at times but this ng has suddenly gone quiet.

Jill

I don't want it to be me all the time keeping it going. The simple thing
is
that there is no route to usenet now unless you already have it and usenet
groups are dying. So use it or lose it.
Facebook rspca is not for me. By the time I've noticed something it's
moved
on and I cannot get back to it.

I requested to be added to the fb group and was ignored. So screw 'em.

That attitude doesn't help your case.

What was I going to do? Beg? Nope.

Old September 16th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I know real life interferes at times but this ng has suddenly gone
quiet.

Jill

I don't want it to be me all the time keeping it going. The simple
thing is
that there is no route to usenet now unless you already have it and
usenet
groups are dying. So use it or lose it.
Facebook rspca is not for me. By the time I've noticed something it's
moved
on and I cannot get back to it.

I requested to be added to the fb group and was ignored. So screw 'em.

That attitude doesn't help your case.

What was I going to do? Beg? Nope.

I don't think Facebook is the be-all end-all of anything. I tried it
once. Suddenly I was getting "friend" requests from people all over the
place. Those I did know asked their friends and relatives to friend me
and I don't want to talk to all those people. I don't have anything in
common with them.

Here in RPCA most folks talk about their cats. That's what I want to do.

Jill
Old September 16th 15, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

I don't think Facebook is the be-all end-all of anything. I tried it
once. Suddenly I was getting "friend" requests from people all over the
place. Those I did know asked their friends and relatives to friend me
and I don't want to talk to all those people. I don't have anything in
common with them.

Here in RPCA most folks talk about their cats. That's what I want to do.

Jill
I'm on a bunch of cat and animal rescue FB groups and I really enjoy them.
People post tons of pics, which I love.
The rec.food.cooking FB page is fine too.
Idk what's wrong with the admins of this groups FB page.

Old September 16th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 12:34:14 PM UTC-4, news wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

I don't think Facebook is the be-all end-all of anything. I tried it
once. Suddenly I was getting "friend" requests from people all over the
place. Those I did know asked their friends and relatives to friend me
and I don't want to talk to all those people. I don't have anything in
common with them.

Here in RPCA most folks talk about their cats. That's what I want to do.

Jill
I'm on a bunch of cat and animal rescue FB groups and I really enjoy them.
People post tons of pics, which I love.
The rec.food.cooking FB page is fine too.
Idk what's wrong with the admins of this groups FB page.

If we don't recognize you from the original RPCA, you might not get in. But, if you tell them that you are on this list, under this user name, you should get in. I am not an admin on there, but don't see why you wouldn't get in.
Old September 16th 15, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 4:19:12 PM UTC, jmcquown wrote:

I don't think Facebook is the be-all end-all of anything.

It's like anything else it's a tool- I use to keep in touch with people I know who for various reasons have moved away. For example I used to meet some friends at a particular venue it closed down- people moved away. Then Ken started an FB group for people who used to go there- Saturday we had our 7th reunion party

I also recently met up with a very old friend who moved to Australia and I wouldn't have known he was in the UK without FB (And another old friend of ours came from Denmark to meet up with us after reading from Lee that he would be in the UK via FB))

I have a few friends on FB that I don't know-but we have so many mutual friends that we swap information about gigs as we share a taste in music, basically if I get a friend request from someone I don't know I check how many mutual friends we have and who they are.

Put it his way I have 600+ FB friends and they can be broken down into

A few people whom I've never met but we have the same friends so I know (as they do) that we share a mutual musical interest and will meet up sometime at a gig

Loads of people I've known from the rpca ng since about 2007- never met them (apart from Marcia) face to face but still consider them real friends (put it this way- I forget my nephews birthday but I send Adrian A a birthday card every year)

People I know but without FB wouldn't be able to stay in touch with like Lee and Tony (The guys from Oz and Denmark I met up with recently)

Family members- I can use FB to talk to my aunt, uncle, several cousins once again we're scattered all over the place

Friends from my photography forum including Fen who I've met several times in the real world

Real World friends i.e. people I meet face to face on a fairly regular basis- we use FB to arrange meetings and pass on news. Of my 600 FB friends I've physically met just under half of them and as I say I consider rpca members as close friends as well

Old September 17th 15, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

I don't think Facebook is the be-all end-all of anything. I tried it
once. Suddenly I was getting "friend" requests from people all over the
place. Those I did know asked their friends and relatives to friend me

Actually, I'm pretty sure the people you know did *not* ask their friends
and relatives to friend you. Facebook software does it all. They make it
look like a person requested to friend you, but FB is just looking through
your friends' pages and sending you messages on behalf of the people in
*their* friends page. Those people have no idea they sent you a friend
request.

--
Joyce

The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel