Cat Fountain - Spring Water - NOT!

Old July 21st 04, 04:14 PM
jmcquown

Default Cat Fountain - Spring Water - NOT!

Persia has one of those Drinkwell fountains. I take it completely apart and
clean it religiously once a week. Get down to the nitty gritty with an old
toothbrush and even pipe cleaners for the tiny crevices in the flow control
valve. Remove the whatchamacallit from the motor (looks like a propeller)
and clean that, too.

Last trip with John, we were given a case of spring water by another
exhibitor who said he found out he cannot abide spring water. John gave me
several bottles to take back with me as the trip would involve a long
layover in Atlanta. I had 2 bottles left.

Take it from me, the water in Memphis is just fine, thank you. It comes
from a natural acquifer, plus I have a filter. So I decided when I refilled
Persia's fountain a few days ago I would use some of this bottled water in
it.

Gotta tell you, it gunked up in days. I had *just* cleaned it! I took it
apart this morning and even the new charcoal *filter* was sort of like...
how can I describe it? exploded and pink and slimy. Normally you can wash
these filters and reuse them for several weeks. This was just GROSS.

Someone please tell me again why we should drink bottled spring water?

Jill
--
Take into account great love and great achievements involve great risk.
--Dalai Lama

Old July 21st 04, 04:20 PM
TBird

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

Those are minerals (normally filtered out of our tap water) that are
actually good for us. We just filter out so much stuff, the good goes out
with the bad.

TBird ---- hi

Jill

Old July 21st 04, 04:34 PM
Sherry

Someone please tell me again why we should drink bottled spring water?

Those are minerals (normally filtered out of our tap water) that are
actually good for us. We just filter out so much stuff, the good goes out
with the bad.

TBird ---- hi

Yup. Our water has lots of minerals, too; and coffeemakers/tea makers don't
last long.

Sherry

Old July 21st 04, 04:58 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Where I'm at, we've always had "hard" water: it has a LOT of minerals in it,
the most prevalent being lime (dissolved limestone - Empire State Building,
Washington Monument, Pentagon & most of the historic buildings in Washington
DC are made, or at least faced, with Limestone quarried in southern
Indiana).

The best thing to clear away lime & other mineral deposits is vinegar. To
clean a mineral stained coffee pot, boil a water/vinegar solution (about
half & half) in it for a few minutes, then let it set for 1/2 hour or so,
then wash as normal. To clean coffee/tea MAKERS, run a cup of straight
vinegar thru it (just like you were going to make coffee/tea, just don't add
the coffee/tea), then run a couple of times with distilled water.

Another thing: instead of using store bought "Jet Dry" or it's equivalent in
your automatic dishwasher, use vinegar! Also use 1 cup vinegar in your
laundry, then your laundry detergent does a better job (it 'softens' the
water).

It may not smell as nice, but the acidic qualities of vinegar sure does cut
through that "hard" water.
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Clyde in Hot Water Bev Cat anecdotes 14 May 15th 04 07:50 PM
How do your cats let you know Spring is here? Tanada Cat anecdotes 6 March 5th 04 04:12 PM
Water question TJ and The Dust Cat anecdotes 10 February 18th 04 05:51 AM