Marlo's drooling

Old November 19th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Marlo's drooling

"dgk" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:43:05 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote

So I still don't know what the tests showed.

What have you found out?

Perfect CBC and chems. Her teeth aren't great but there doesn't appear
to be anything obvious. I guess I count myself lucky for now and keep
an eye open for anything unusual. Of course, I always watch for them
to do something odd.

Hmmm. I'm glad she's okay now. Our Boo needs a dental, and soon. I am
dreading it, as I hate to risk the anesthesia. (She has heart trouble,
thyroid problems, and is 14.) You really might want to keep an eye on
Marlo's teeth. As I recall she is a young cat. You might be able to ward off
worse problems by having her teeth checked.

Old November 19th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

On Nov 19, 6:19*am, dgk wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Drooling can be anything from eating an noxious
bug to something very major. It appears in this case to be nothing
much.- Hide quoted text -

That's wonderful to hear!

DWMeowMix
Old November 20th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:41:33 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"dgk" wrote

So I still don't know what the tests showed.

What have you found out?

Perfect CBC and chems. Her teeth aren't great but there doesn't appear
to be anything obvious. I guess I count myself lucky for now and keep
an eye open for anything unusual. Of course, I always watch for them
to do something odd.

Hmmm. I'm glad she's okay now. Our Boo needs a dental, and soon. I am
dreading it, as I hate to risk the anesthesia. (She has heart trouble,
thyroid problems, and is 14.) You really might want to keep an eye on
Marlo's teeth. As I recall she is a young cat. You might be able to ward off
worse problems by having her teeth checked.

I'm thinking about brushing her teeth. She isn't the best candidate
for that since she is so hyper, but I was at the last Cat Show at MSG
and watched a demonstration on teaching a cat to accept it. You start
by just letting them eat food and (cat) toothpaste off the brush, and
work your way up to the actual brushing. Sounds pretty easy, and she
will eat almost anything. Picky is not a description for Marlo.
Old November 20th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote
I'm thinking about brushing her teeth. She isn't the best candidate
for that since she is so hyper, but I was at the last Cat Show at MSG
and watched a demonstration on teaching a cat to accept it. You start
by just letting them eat food and (cat) toothpaste off the brush, and
work your way up to the actual brushing. Sounds pretty easy, and she
will eat almost anything. Picky is not a description for Marlo.

I've done this with my cats very early on with limited results. The good
thing is, the toothpaste is enzymatic, so you just have to get some ON the
tooth for it to work.

My point was--there was a reason Marlo was drooling. I am surprised your vet
did not thoroughly check her mouth. It is probably a dental problem. Just as
with humans, these can lead to serious health problems for cats, not to
mention pain. Your cat did not drool for no reason.

Old November 24th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:05:48 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote
I'm thinking about brushing her teeth. She isn't the best candidate
for that since she is so hyper, but I was at the last Cat Show at MSG
and watched a demonstration on teaching a cat to accept it. You start
by just letting them eat food and (cat) toothpaste off the brush, and
work your way up to the actual brushing. Sounds pretty easy, and she
will eat almost anything. Picky is not a description for Marlo.

I've done this with my cats very early on with limited results. The good
thing is, the toothpaste is enzymatic, so you just have to get some ON the
tooth for it to work.

My point was--there was a reason Marlo was drooling. I am surprised your vet
did not thoroughly check her mouth. It is probably a dental problem. Just as
with humans, these can lead to serious health problems for cats, not to
mention pain. Your cat did not drool for no reason.

One of my cats drooled a few years ago and we never found the cause.
The list of possible candidates is very long. The vet did check her
mouth and saw nothing unusual. Short of X ray I don't know if there is
anything else to do. And, I would think, X ray means sedation?

All I can really do is keep an eye on her and there has been no change
in her behavior. There wasn't even a change while she was drooling.