Two Feral Cats

Old October 27th 04, 04:13 PM
Steve G

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message lid...
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:32:07 -0700, Steve G wrote:

Some of the ng regulars have had their cats declawed in the past.
They realised their mistake and did not repeat it.

ceb2 claimed to have "researched" the subject *before* mutilating his
kittens.

Yes. But the realities might take a while to percolate thru' the
cortex...

(...)

The thought of him adopting another cat appals me. I sincerely hope he
never does.

With his current views, maybe so. However, change is possible and
railing endlessly against him at every opportunity ain't going to help
any change along. Just seems pointless, unhelpful and unpersuasive.

(...)

My comment was on the choices that occured to ceb2. I found them quite
revealing. It wasn't about helping the cat; it was about how he could be
*seen* "helping". That is, it wasn't about benefit. It was about credit.

Might be so, but this is not a generous interpretation. Perhaps
highlighting the other choices would have spurred him into action -
who knows? And if he chose to ignore said choices, then more grist for
your mill anyway.

(...)

The info would be lost on him.

You don't know that. There's nothing to lose by providing some useful
suggestions (indeed, as included in your last post).

(...)

Calling the Humane Society is not a "choice" to make a difference. But
it's the kind of thing that would occur to a ceb2. He fits the mold of
the middle manager type in corporations. People who "manage" problems
rather than solve them (which means: getting someone else to take care of
them.)

I have nothing to say to such people, devoid as they are of imagination
and good sense.

Well, not every cat can be saved, and not everyone has the desire to
save cats personally. I don't think this makes the non-saver a bag of
devil's arse chunks. 'tis better that ceb2 at least thinks how to
assist the cats in some way, rather than not.

The Human Soc is some sort of option. It would realistically lead to
the cat's euthanasia, I suppose, but if the eyeless cat was in chronic
pain and facing a potentially worse death, then euthanasia is - IMO -
acceptable.

Steve.
Old October 27th 04, 05:43 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

I did leve some treats in the shelter and they disappeared fairly
quick. Unfortunately, I got my closest look at 'one-eye' last night.
She needs help. Her eye is clearly infected. Not only missing, but
that side of her face is swollen. She isn't crying in pain, and does
cat like things like grooming herself, playing, stalking, etc, but it
has to be hurting her. I will wait to hear from the people I've called
and try not to otherwise interfere to much with their routine. I will
give them some food, but it looks like they are being fed.

Will she come to you if you have food?
If you take her to the vet as a stray, they'll most likely help her, even if
it's to get in touch with the shelter themselves and work out what to do. She
needs help ASAP. Many vets are kind-hearted and won't refuse to help a badly
injured stray cat. Sometimes the techs even adopt them. You never know. See
if you can entice her into a carrier and bring her in as a foundling.

If it IS infected, she'll likely die without help. Not a nice death, either.
Cats are so stoic; she's in more pain than she shows.
(our old Tommy, he got his tail crushed in the door and we didn't even know
until the end fell off - talk about feeling guilty!)

Thank you Kaeli, for your well thought out advice.

Welcome.
Do post a follow-up and let us know how it goes, okay?

~kaeli~
Synonym: the word you use in place of a word you can't
spell.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old October 27th 04, 07:29 PM
Phil P.

"ceb2" wrote in message
om...

I have a call in to the closest Humane Society and a nearby "no-kill"
shelter, but so far no call backs.

Don't sit by the phone. Call the shelter and ask if you can borrow a live
trap. Most shelters have a few Tomahawks or Havaharts that they'll loan out
( if they have both, take the Tomahawk). You may be asked to leave a
$50-$100 deposit which is returned when you return the trap. Worst case
scenario, buy one (~$100) - you might find TNR very rewarding.

Set the trap up where the cat hangs out, spray the trap with Feliway to mask
your scent and reduce the cat's anxiety about entering the trap. Put some
food in the trap and wait. Bring a blanket over the trap after you trap the
cat to help reduce the stress of trapping and transporting.

You may not catch the right cat the first time - but which ever cat you
trap, have him/her neutered. If you have a decent client-vet relationship
the vet should give you a substantial discount.

Unfortunately, I got my closest look at 'one-eye' last night.
She needs help. Her eye is clearly infected. Not only missing, but
that side of her face is swollen.

All the more reason not to delay.

Old October 27th 04, 08:39 PM
ceb2

"Mary" wrote in message . com...
"ceb2" wrote

Thank you Kaeli, for your well thought out advice.

--

Kaeli's great. You however are still a jackass.

And as usual, you are considerbly less than helpful.

Old October 27th 04, 08:58 PM
Mary

"ceb2" wrote in message
m...
"Mary" wrote in message

. com...
"ceb2" wrote

Thank you Kaeli, for your well thought out advice.

--

Kaeli's great. You however are still a jackass.

And as usual, you are considerbly less than helpful.

I have no desire to be helpful to you. However, I am anxiously awaiting your
next scintillating question. I imagine it will be along the lines of "Duh,
I saw a kitten on the median of a busy highway but I wasn't sure what the
right thing to do was. Anyone have any suggestions?"

Old October 27th 04, 08:58 PM
Mary

"ceb2" wrote in message
m...
"Mary" wrote in message

. com...
"ceb2" wrote

Old October 28th 04, 01:20 AM
Annie Wxill

"ceb2" wrote in message
om...
.... I got my closest look at 'one-eye' last night.
She needs help. Her eye is clearly infected. Not only missing, but
that side of her face is swollen. She isn't crying in pain, and does
cat like things like grooming herself, playing, stalking, etc, but it
has to be hurting her. I will wait to hear from the people I've called
and try not to otherwise interfere to much with their routine. I will
give them some food, but it looks like they are being fed.

Have you considered trapping the injured cat and taking her to a vet for
treatment?
Maybe the people who are feeding her would be willing to donate some money
to the vet for her care.
After she recovers, it might be possible to release her back in her old
territory. A rescue organization or someone who does rescues might be able
to advise you on how to trap her and how likely it is that the other cats
will let her re-join the colony.
Annie