For anyone battling flea dermatitis + bathing

Old July 8th 03, 07:30 PM
Karen M.

Default For anyone battling flea dermatitis + bathing

As I've mentioned a few times on this group, my dog Bubbas has
allergies up the wazzoo - flea, food, and outdoor pollen etc....
Recently he got worse, was losing hair on his lower back and tail, so
we went to an actual dermatologist for some further diagnosing.

Now, Bubbas has been on Advantage since I've had him + is the
recipient of frequent baths for his skin. I've told three previous
vets about this. No concerns. Well, was told by the dermo clinic that
Advantage *washes off* if you use anything stronger than a mild baby
shampoo! If you're having to bathe your pet frequently, you need to
use a topical like Frontline, which actually goes into the oil glands
themselves and is replenished with the oil from the glands.

So for two years, my dog has only had protection from fleas about 1-2
weeks out of every month, which of course has made his problems worse!
GRRRRRRRR.... So if you have a pet with flea problems and you're
bathing them frequently, don't use Advantage!

On a happy note, we're already starting to see some improvement!

Karen
Old July 9th 03, 02:12 AM
Cheryl

Karen M. wrote:
As I've mentioned a few times on this group, my dog Bubbas has
allergies up the wazzoo - flea, food, and outdoor pollen etc....
Recently he got worse, was losing hair on his lower back and tail,

so
we went to an actual dermatologist for some further diagnosing.

Almost went that route, I'd be interested to hear follow-ups later.

Now, Bubbas has been on Advantage since I've had him + is the
recipient of frequent baths for his skin. I've told three previous
vets about this. No concerns. Well, was told by the dermo clinic

that
Advantage *washes off* if you use anything stronger than a mild baby
shampoo!

That's funny since the shampoos I've looked at say it won't wash off
flea treatment. I've used both an oatmeal and a hydrocortosone
shampoo.

If you're having to bathe your pet frequently, you need to
use a topical like Frontline, which actually goes into the oil

glands
themselves and is replenished with the oil from the glands.

So for two years, my dog has only had protection from fleas about

1-2
weeks out of every month, which of course has made his problems

worse!
GRRRRRRRR.... So if you have a pet with flea problems and you're
bathing them frequently, don't use Advantage!

On a happy note, we're already starting to see some improvement!

Karen

Glad there is an improvement. Shamrock's only improvement is the
steroid shots. Did the bath thing with him, too but he doesn't go out
and fleas are really not an issue but I only used Advantage because
the vet insisted it was flea allergy (at first!!). He didn't mind
that much... for a cat

--
Cheryl
"If you work hard enough, if you want it bad enough, dreams do come

Eric's tribute: http://www.petitmorte.net/envision