Halogen ovens (OT)

Old December 7th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Halogen ovens (OT)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 12/5/2012 9:51 PM, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Worst thing I ever did was to get an electric oven. I got rid of a
free standing gas one when I had a new kitchen. N was here at the

time, she
called it Stove. "please don't get rid of Stove"
She was right. I wish I had Stove back again.

(snippage)
My new electric cooker has already failed.
Stove would still have been cooking my food now but my new posh built

in
oven is only half working. It's supposed to heat top and bottom, now

only
the top is heating.
As I like to cook this is a nuisance.

There is a gas stove and oven in my apartment. (In the US, "stove" means
"cooker".) I love it. It has a pilot light, so it doesn't depend on
electricity. So if there was a power failure, I could still have hot
food.
I just wish the heat was also gas heat - that's electric.

I've ever only had one gas stove (cooker). That was in an apartment I
lived in when I was hmmm, 23? I loved it! Any subsequent apartment I've
lived in, it was always electric. You get used to it when it's pretty
much all you've lived with. I can't have a gas stove in this house; no
gas lines.

Jill

Old December 7th 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

That's a pity. Even in the wilds of Germany they were able to get gas.
And I mean in the wilds.
Germans are just so perfect at doing things like this. I found when I was
there, that they could do anything better than we can.
Tweed

Old December 7th 12, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Uh... okay. No comment on German ingenuity. I live on a very small
southern US coastal island and it's just not that easy to run gas lines
through marshes. I have a propane tank for a fireplace in my living
room but it's never been filled. They'd have to dig up the foundation
of my house to run a propane line for a propane stove. Then I'd have to
worry about whether or not there was enough propane in the tank to cook
a pot of soup. No thanks. I'll live with electric.

Jill
Old December 8th 12, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Worst thing I ever did was to get an electric oven. I got rid of a
free standing gas one when I had a new kitchen. N was here at the
time, she
called it Stove. "please don't get rid of Stove"
She was right. I wish I had Stove back again.
My new electric cooker has already failed.
Stove would never have let me down.
I will try and get my electric oven repaired but if not he will be
ripped
out and a gas one in. I never liked him. He takes so long to warm
up.
I was used to Stove who warmed up quickly with his gas flame. I
should have
kept him but I was getting a new posh kitchen then. I regret
letting him
go, but I daren't tell N?le I have regrets. She told me to keep him.
should have listened.

Why wouldn't you tell her she was right? Is she one of those people who
would say "I told you so" and never let you forget it? I hope not!

No, she isn't. She is brilliant.
I'm sending her the Fawlty Towers DVDs for Christmas. "Don't mention the
war" we've spoken about it and I'd like her to see it where that phrase
came from.
We do mention the war now and again and discuss what it meant for for our
parents and grandparents. It won't be an elephant in the room for us.
Mainly we talk about our chickens and dogs.

She visited me several times and I've visited there too. Not what I was
expecting. More than rural. I nearly saw some wild boar but was off to the
house when I heard them coming. Dammit for being a wuss.
Germany is a big place and a lot of it is wild. Forests and things..
N tells me they have wolves again. Reintroduced.
I haven't mentioned we've got beavers reintroduced.
Germany and Britain get animals back that had died out.
Why do we need beavers again and why does she need wolves?
We don't. It's a silly idea to go back centuries and try and make it like
it used to be.
As for lynxes, the first one that appeared here looking at my chickens would
get a piece of lead in the ear..

Old December 8th 12, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't want to rely on it for everything. If you had a power cut and
you are all electric you are in a serious position. Your heating is off and
you can't cook anything.

Old December 8th 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Au contraire! I own a charcoal (natural wood lump) grill/cooker. I
know how to cook outdoors without electricity. BTDT. The big worry
would be using up items from the fridge before they go bad. I can cook
nearly anything with my cast iron griddle and pans on a grill. Some
folks call this BBQ

Jill