Offensive Spayed and Neutered Comments

Old October 18th 04, 08:20 PM
KellyH

"kaeli" wrote in message
I'm close to Chicago, IL. NW suburbs.

Ah.. totally different area. We're in NH.

But I'm not ready right now, unfortunately. I'm very full. 3 cats and a
small
dog in a one-bedroom (albeit a very large one) condo is already a bit
much. A
Bengal would not be happy in my small home nor would Rowan accept another
adult cat in close quarters.

I'm glad you are taking the time to consider what's best for the cats and
not just you. I know you would, having read your posts for quite a while,
but many people are of the mindset that *they* want another cat, kitten,
dog, whatever, even if it's really not the best thing for their existing
pets.

More than likely, I won't get another cat until Rowan passes. Long story
short (okay, not that short), she's had a tendency to be a sickly furbaby
(recurrent URI, esp. when stressed) and I don't want to push her at all.
She
got quite sick the last time I added a cat and I nearly lost her. She's
the
one the vet said had FIP and was ready to put down, but I decided against
it
and nursed her back. Guess it wasn't FIP after all, but it's something
that
comes up once or twice a year (I suspect herpes/rhinotracheitis) and she
has
to be medicated and stuff. Rowan is a spoiled princess because of all this
and acts it. *LOL*

Poor Rowan :-( Yes, best to maintain the status quo for her.

How do you know she's purebred, BTW?

I don't know 100% for sure. The woman who turned her in purchased her from
a breeder but did not bring her papers. The Aby that came from the same
owner did have papers, so I can only assume that if she went to the trouble
and expense of purchasing a purebred Aby, she also got a purebred Bengal.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

In article FYRcd.279957$3l3.153837@attbi_s03,
enlightened us with...

Hi Kaeli,

What area are you in? We have a purebred Bengal at our shelter right
now!
I know you said you weren't quite ready, but I just thought I'd let you
know. She's very sweet, social, and not all that happy about being in a
cage. She came in with a purebred Aby.

~kaeli~
Support your local medical examiner: die strangely!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old October 18th 04, 10:17 PM
kaeli

In article %HUcd.492364$8_6.470447@attbi_s04,
enlightened us with...

I'm glad you are taking the time to consider what's best for the cats and
not just you. I know you would, having read your posts for quite a while,
but many people are of the mindset that *they* want another cat, kitten,
dog, whatever, even if it's really not the best thing for their existing
pets.

I wanted one of the barn kittens, too, but I had to say no there as well. I
get to see him every week and he's the biggest love...I wish I had a bigger
house! *LOL*

I'd also LOVE to have a big German Shepherd, but I don't have a nice yard for
it and no time for exercising such a large dog. My little poodle mix gets all
she needs just running in my house. She's smaller than Jeffrey. *LOL*

I learned the hard way about making rash decisions when I got Sam (lab mix,
we think). They (the shelter people) told me she was going to be 30-40 pounds
and was a Sheltie mix. They were wrong about the size, at least. She got to
be the size of a small lab, 60 pounds, with all the boundless energy of one.
She looked kinda like a lab/greyhound cross. My home was much too small for
her - the poor dog was miserable. As much as it hurt me (I really loved that
dog), I had to let her go live with my colleague, who had two other dogs and
a house with a nice big yard (and a doggie door). I really vacillated over
that decision. In the end, I decided her happiness was more important than my
guilt. So, since my colleague was looking for another addition (and had met
and liked Sam already at a picnic), I adopted Sam to her and I adopted a toy
poodle mix (we think a silky/poodle from her looks) from the city shelter. I
figured that way, I was at least saving a life as well as looking out for my
dog's happiness. Happiness all around. Madison is 8 whole pounds at 8 months
of age. *g*

I don't want to ever have to rehome another pet. Ever. I have never felt so
awful in my life as when I had to leave Sam. She's a happier dog now, though.
Though I still get guilty "you dumped your dog" feelings every so often, I
know it was for the best for her, if not for me.

(by the by, I learned LATER that if a puppy is 8 pounds at 8 weeks of age, it
will be a large dog - info that could have saved me a lot of heartache later,
in case anyone can make use of it)

~kaeli~
Local Area Network in Australia:... the LAN down under.

Old October 22nd 04, 07:40 AM

I don't know about all states but I do
know that in Minnesota even if you
wanted to get 'fixed' you have to be 21 or
have 4 kids.

Cite? I've never heard of such a law here and I also know someone who
had a tubal at 20 and had no children. The only thing I've heard of is
that if you want a tubal ligation and use medical assistance there is a
30 day waiting period.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke