Icarus & UTI

Old January 23rd 05, 09:36 PM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
news:eLTId.4979$8Q.1847@okepread06...
I would loved for them to have done that right from beginning but it seems
normal they give you a starting bottle. I am going to call the vet and see
if they can write the prescription and also see if they can recommend a
different prescription food for a lesser price. The reason I am feeding
them all the same food is to prevent a UTI in the other cats. The vet said
that was not going to harm them at all. Most likely it is probably better
for them anyway.

For those that are curious, Icarus seems to be getting better. He isn't
too keen on the canned food but when mixed with a little gravy from the
regular canned he actually will eat some of it. The other cats certainly
have no problem eating it. I gave them a little bit so Icarus might see
that isn't so bad. He is using the litterbox a little more with less
strain so obviously the meds are working.

There is no different prescription food. It's pretty much Hill's or
nothing. The Hill's Rx foods are about the same price as premium brand
foods. I think there are some IVD brand Rx foods, but I imagine they would
be about the same price as Hill's. It's really not that expensive, when you
look at it like you are preventing a $300+ vet visit.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 23rd 05, 09:42 PM
Cat Protector

Not really. The Clavamox drops which is the antibiotic cost me $31 which is
only like 15ml. It is amazing that the meds become more the more expensive
part of the bill besides the food.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
I thought animal meds were supposed to be relatively cheap--but
then I have not analyzed the bill yet!

--
Jean B.

Old January 23rd 05, 09:45 PM
Cat Protector

But you can get Hills or something comparable to it at Petsmart right? The
small bag I got at the vet was about $12.50 which seems kind of expensive
for such a small bag.

Old January 23rd 05, 09:54 PM
Jean B.

Cathy Friedmann wrote:

"Jean B." wrote:
Many (most??) animal meds are the same as human meds - it's just that the
dosage needs to be adjusted. In fact, I've had to go to the human pharmacy
a couple of times in the past to obtain prescriptions for one of my cats
that the vets didn't have on hand in their practice's pharmacy.

Cathy

Well, I guess I may have more first-hand info on this soon. Or
maybe not. I had just heard this, but I gather it must vary
depending on the med.
--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 09:55 PM
Jean B.

Karen Chuplis wrote:

I think they are doing really well! A lot of vets wouldn't think to give him
a box. It was an excellent idea.

I have to say I am much happier knowing he is, according to them,
at least relaxing!
--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 09:58 PM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

But you can get Hills or something comparable to it at Petsmart right? The
small bag I got at the vet was about $12.50 which seems kind of expensive
for such a small bag.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

I have to say I am not concerned about the price (I may live to
regret that); I just want to be as sure as possible that Mingy has
the best possible food(s) (preferably plural) to keep him healthy.

--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 10:04 PM
KellyH

But you can get Hills or something comparable to it at Petsmart right? The
small bag I got at the vet was about $12.50 which seems kind of expensive
for such a small bag.

No. You can only buy the prescription diet from a vet, and the price is
fairly uniform at all vet's. You can buy Hill's Science Diet at Petsmart,
but that's not the prescription formula.
Welcome to the world of feeding quality food. My food bill for my 7 cats is
about $80 - 100 a month. That might be low, I don't keep track of it that
well. Better food DOES equal healthier cats.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:05 PM
Cat Protector

Well saving a little money and still getting the right food would be best. I
would like to get the food equivelant to what Icarus is eating now at a
place other than the vet. I checked out Petsmart's Web Site online and they
have Science Diet but not the kind I got from the vet.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:08 PM
Cat Protector

Good thing Icarus only has to be on the prescription food for another couple
of weeks. I am going to check with the vet to fill the prescription for his
meds elsewhere as those are pretty expensive for such a small amount.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:16 PM
KellyH

"Mrschief44" wrote in message
My Hannah has had on going FUTD since we adopted her last June, I had
noticed
that she would sit in the litter box for quite a while with very little
urine
out put.

First, thank you for adopting and keeping a cat with a medical issue. So
many other people would have returned her.

She's now on Science Diet C/D both canned and dry and her urine out
put is good. They'll do another urine test next month. Now the thing is I
asked
my Vet just how long she will be on the C/D and he said for LIFE, I
mentioned
other high quality foods and he said NO. Is there anyone out there who has
cat that has to be on the C/D for life.

snip
I also have a 10 month old kitten and I had asked the Vet if the C/D would
hurt
her, he told me the kitten can not have the C/D. He told me that would be
like
me taking someone elses prescription when I really didn't need it

I don't want to contradict your vet, he may have a reason for what he is
saying, but personally I've never heard of a vet being so extreme. He might
not be recommending the C/D food for the kitten because she's still growing.
But once she's an adult, it shouldn't be a problem. I took my cat Bartleby
off the C/D food when he had a second blockage and I did my own research. I
admit my mistake was not including canned food after the first incident, but
my vet didn't recommend it either. I had to learn about the importance of a
mostly canned diet from this ng. I believe Bartleby has stayed
blockage-free because he eats a high-quality, canned diet, with a little bit
of premium dry, and also drinks plenty of water.
You may want to call another vet for a different opinion.