Icarus & UTI

Old January 22nd 05, 10:51 PM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

I'd carry the cell phone and get the litterbox. No need to worry about the
weather as you can't stop it or change it.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

That's what I ended up doing. No call--unless she just didn't
leave a message on my machine here.

--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:52 PM
Jean B.

Cheryl wrote:

I've never had a cat with a blockage, but I put water around in
various places to encourage drinking, as well. Only problem is that I
used coffee cups because they love drinking out of them, and Bonnie
is very used to using them. Rhett has discovered that they knock over
easily. In the last month I've given up on coffee cups and moved
to big pyrex casserole dishes. Ah, but they are more fun to play and
splash around in! lol

--
Cheryl

Maybe, too, you could put the cups in something bigger? Mingy
likes drinking out of cups too--need to encourage that too.
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:56 PM
Jean B.

Karen Chuplis wrote:

It will probably work out just right. By the time the roads are clear he
will be ready to come home. Grant was in about 48 hours. Hang in there.

Was he totally blocked or partially blocked? The vet did say it
might be the next day. As far as strategy goes, that would be
good, because then I wouldn't feel so guilty if I couldn't get
there. BUT he's going to just hate it. One thing I haven't
absorbed here--is it bad to hope they keep him on valium? Would
they do that if they saw he was totally scared????????????????
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 11:03 PM
Sherry

Before all this happened the dominance and spraying issue seemed plausible.
Even the vet said this was a possibility before the tests. If it turned out
not to be UTI, then that was the most logical explaination. With the
exception of blood in the urine the behavioral issue has similar symptoms.
The holistic route is actually a nice route to go and can actually be a good
preventative for UTI. I took Icarus in because I read other Sites about UTI
and figured a vet call was needed to rule out the problem. I learned a
lesson, caught it early and now Icarus can move towards healing.

--

I'm really glad you got him to the vet. Icarus is so young to already have
urinary tract problems. I hope with switching the food he stays healthy.

Sherry
Old January 22nd 05, 11:10 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
Cathy Friedmann wrote:

Makes me wonder if you've ever been snowed in... Or been driving in the
middle of a white-out.

Cathy

I did go get a new litterbox and litter. I wonder whether it
should be in a different place too?

I hate driving in the snow, but it wasn't too bad yet--most of it
was still being blown away by the traffic. BUT tomorrow will be
an issue.
--
Jean B.

Just to clarify: I was directing that question at CP, not you. ;-)

Cathy

Old January 22nd 05, 11:19 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Jean B." wrote in message ...

Well, I do have the two abandoned foster cats, so I can spend some
extra time with them. I'd better go look outside. More later.

--
Jean B.

I was just about to ask you about them. They're very long-term fosters,
aren't they? But the more the merrier, I say (though my mother would
disagree, since she's the one taking care of my cat). Has your daughter
warmed up to them, yet?

Hope Mingy is doing well, and will be back in time for your birthday! Happy
Birthday, btw!!

rona

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We had
people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the energy to go
back. We call them Canadians."
---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Old January 22nd 05, 11:22 PM
Jean B.

Karen Chuplis wrote:

Grant was totally blocked. They probably won't keep him on valium but there
is another med they will probably give him ( I know forget the name) and it
will make him very sleepy. He will probably rest the whole time he is gone
and probably when he comes back too. He will probably pee small short pees
at first as well. They may give you a med for him to take for a day or so
called amatryptiline. It will help the swelling from the trauma and the
catheter but will make him sleepy too. It's a good thing it is a 24 hour
emergency vet because it will be staffed and that is a GOOD thing. They
really do know when people are helping. I think Mingy will be fine while he
is there.

Thank you for the reassurance. Would they give him that med so he
would not disrupt the IV and the catheter?

I did ask about staffing tonight, worried that they would not have
a vet there, and no one would be able to get in. It sounds like
there will be at least one there. I do wish his vet had called me
tonight, as she said she would. I will call there later for an
update. I am trying not to be too whingy about it, but it is very
hard not to call.
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 11:45 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago we had really bad flooding due to rain. I guess I
figure if the weather is going to come it's going to come. It was a little
tough to drive in but I did have to go to work. The snow in the high

country
was pretty bad but still the news showed that nobody was willing to let it
stop them. In fact some people actually welcomed the snow storm and went

out
and played in it.

One can enjoy the snow, but it *can* have an impact safety-wise. There are
times when the state closes roads, the county closes roads, & only emergency
related traffic is allowed. There are times when - unless you *have* to go
out, it is just plain stupid to try to drive.

Cathy