Icarus & UTI

Old January 22nd 05, 11:53 PM
Cat Protector

A couple of weeks ago we had really bad flooding due to rain. I guess I
figure if the weather is going to come it's going to come. It was a little
tough to drive in but I did have to go to work. The snow in the high country
was pretty bad but still the news showed that nobody was willing to let it
stop them. In fact some people actually welcomed the snow storm and went out
and played in it.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
I did go get a new litterbox and litter. I wonder whether it
should be in a different place too?

I hate driving in the snow, but it wasn't too bad yet--most of it
was still being blown away by the traffic. BUT tomorrow will be
an issue.
--
Jean B.

Old January 22nd 05, 11:53 PM
jamie

Cat Protector wrote:
He gets both a liquid and a pill. The liquid medication he has to take twice
a day and the pill only once a day. You need to wrap the cat in a towel like
a burrito and then administer the meds. Icarus is pretty tough so it took a
couple of tries to get the pill in his mouth.

You might see if he likes Pill Pockets. My vet sells them but they're
easily googled up on the web. They are a chicken or salmon flavored
treat, soft like soft fudge, shaped like a small pouch that you put
the pill in and pinch closed. They have a sticky consistency, so the
pill won't squirt out if the cat chews it. I think various places
on the web sell them for about $6 for a packet of 40.

They were great for getting Gideon to take Tapazole, before his
surgery last year, because it's a foul-tasting, uncoated pill.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old January 22nd 05, 11:54 PM
Cat Protector

I hope it all works out and your cat is finally able to come home.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
That's what I ended up doing. No call--unless she just didn't
leave a message on my machine here.

--
Jean B.

Old January 22nd 05, 11:57 PM
Cat Protector

Actually the cat might sleep plenty when at home and on medication. I know
Icarus has been sleeping a bit more while on the meds. Of course he is also
a little lively as well.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
I think he will sleep through a lot of it. It is hard not to want to know!
Hopefully they will still call.

Old January 23rd 05, 12:43 AM
Jean B.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

"Jean B." wrote in message ...

Well, I do have the two abandoned foster cats, so I can spend some
extra time with them. I'd better go look outside. More later.

--
Jean B.

I was just about to ask you about them. They're very long-term fosters,
aren't they?

Yes, they are. Their mom has pretty much abandoned them. Today I
was wondering what would happen if they needed emergency care,
since I had to sign something that said I was Mingy's legal owner.

But the more the merrier, I say (though my mother would
disagree, since she's the one taking care of my cat). Has your daughter
warmed up to them, yet?

No. In fact, she has been behaving cooly toward Mingy recently,
and that drives me crazy. I just don't understand how she went
from adoring him on day to ignoring him the next. I hope this
will remind her she loves him.

Hope Mingy is doing well, and will be back in time for your birthday!

Well, if they say he can go home, the good news is I can go get
him any hour of the day or night, so as soon as I get dug out I
can rescue him. He is very unhappy--they think because of the
surgery, but I am sure he is also unhappy to be there. He cannot
stand anything different/new people. At least they have his cage
pretty much covered, and I think he is off in a quiet(er) spot.
Still.........

Happy
Birthday, btw!!

Thanks. Hard to think about that til Mingy is back though....

Nice to see you, rona.

--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 12:50 AM
Jean B.

Karen Chuplis wrote:

I think he will sleep through a lot of it. It is hard not to want to know!
Hopefully they will still call.

The vet finally called. They have had a lot of emergencies, so
they couldn't call earlier. Mingy sounds like he is very unhappy,
she thinks because of the surgery, but it is hard to say what
percentage is that and what percentage is his being there. His
cage is somewhat covered, and he is somewhat better when he
doesn't see anyone....

The vet said there were a lot of struvite crystals. I said I
guessed that meant we'd have to change his diet and asked whether
we could segue into the new stuff. She seemed to be saying he
should eat dry food, but I thought wet food was better for such
things. (Actually, FBOFW, I let Mingy graze on dry food and then
feed him wet food at night. He likes chunks with gravy and only
licks the gravy off the chunks.) She did seem to say, Mingy could
lick the gravy off his usual food and just switch his dry food.
She mentioned Hill's ?CDS?. I am going to have to do some
research on that and various other foods that might be good for
him now that we know he has this problem................

My main concern now is that he is so upset!!!!! That can't be
good for him! At least I can pick him up any hour of the day or
night, so as soon as he can get home and the roads are the least
bit drivable (for my more-intrepid friend), I will go rescue him.
--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 12:56 AM
Jean B.

jamie wrote:

You might see if he likes Pill Pockets. My vet sells them but they're
easily googled up on the web. They are a chicken or salmon flavored
treat, soft like soft fudge, shaped like a small pouch that you put
the pill in and pinch closed. They have a sticky consistency, so the
pill won't squirt out if the cat chews it. I think various places
on the web sell them for about $6 for a packet of 40.

They were great for getting Gideon to take Tapazole, before his
surgery last year, because it's a foul-tasting, uncoated pill.

Mingy doesn't even like treats! I think any pills would have to
be placed in his mouth. Someone elsewhere mentioned some goo you
could put the pill in before it is placed in the cat's mouth.

--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 12:57 AM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

I hope it all works out and your cat is finally able to come home.

I hope he can come home tomorrow afternoon (the earliest possible
time, I guess)--and we can get to him. He is most unhappy. (I
wish I didn't have that confirmed.)

--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 12:58 AM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

Actually the cat might sleep plenty when at home and on medication. I know
Icarus has been sleeping a bit more while on the meds. Of course he is also
a little lively as well.

Mingy now sleeps much of the say anyway, so that's a good bet. I
wonder if he'll get any sleep at the hospital? He is so upset, he
may not be able to.

--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 01:01 AM
Cat Protector

My vet prescribed both dry and canned food. He is eating Hills s/d dry and
c/d canned and of course a/d. He doesn't like it too much but the other cats
were willing to eat it.