Icarus & UTI

Old January 23rd 05, 01:59 AM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
news:zHBId.3137$8Q.2424@okepread06...
A couple of weeks ago we had really bad flooding due to rain. I guess I
figure if the weather is going to come it's going to come. It was a little
tough to drive in but I did have to go to work. The snow in the high
country was pretty bad but still the news showed that nobody was willing to
let it stop them. In fact some people actually welcomed the snow storm and
went out and played in it.

We play in the snow here in New England, too. Just don't go driving around
when it's coming down 3 inches an hour. OK, well some dipsh*ts do, but it's
really not smart.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 23rd 05, 02:53 AM
Cat Protector

Well we usually get a few idiots willing to ignore the flooded area signs
and decide to drive through it only to get stuck.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old January 23rd 05, 03:02 AM
Cat Protector

Yes, I did ask about letting the other cats have it and the vet said it
would not harm the cats. I mixed it with the other dry to get Icarus to eat
it as I have read that cats take the new food a lot easier than not touching
it at all. Icarus wouldn't touch the prescription food when he was seperated
last night but when I mixed it with the old food he started eating it. I
also have been exchanging emails with others whos cats also had a UTI and
that's what they did as well with no ill effects.

--

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Cat Protector" wrote in message
That's how I got the Hills Special Prescription Diet was at the vet.
Icarus has to eat it for 3 weeks. But I am also giving it to the other
cats as a preventative. I think you might be able to get Hills at
Petsmart but I went with what the vet prescribed at first since he only
needs a cup a day of the dry food. I mixed it with the old food so they
can easily transition over to it.

Did you ask the vet about mixing the prescription food with the old for
Icarus? I'm not sure that's a good idea. I thought the whole deal with
the Rx food is it is specially formulated to stop the crystals from
formulating. If mixed with regualr food, it won't be as effective.

Old January 23rd 05, 08:46 AM
Cat Protector

My vet suggested that Icarus get plenty of water on top of the dry and
canned food.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
Hills c/d is usually the first they try. There are a couple of other
brands
from the vet too. The whole "dry food" thing is still debated by some
vets.
They are beginning to come around to the fact that high quality wet food
is
important, but it is not universal. They will definitely admit that water
intake is inmportant and cats being desert animals are used to getting
water
through their food (live prey) so, unless Mingy drinks a LOT of water, I
would sure consider a very high quality wet food, with c/d as support
(Since
I don't recall seeing c/d in a canned version, but there may be one. Hills
usually has both even for their prescription foods. You should definitely
ask). My cats have the Eukanuba dry as a supplement to their wet food
rather
than the Hills c/d.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:03 PM
Jean B.

Cathy Friedmann wrote:

Although it's upsetting for you to think of him being unhappy at the vet's,
don't take unnecessary risks, going to get him if the roads are really
awful tomorrow. In the end, more important that you get there & back safely
w/him - even one more night at the vet's won't make a difference - in the
long run.

Cathy

Now this is a moot point, since the (other) vet who called this
morning said they will take out the catheter this afternoon and
observe him overnight. (I have no idea why they are not removing
the catheter this morning, as had been discussed--was too
shell-shocked to ask at the time, and sort-of assumed, since
nothing negative was said, that this is just what this second vet
thinks is best.) I muttered something which I hoped would invoke
a response re giving him some antianxiety med, and I got no such
response. I am, frankly, more worried about his mental state than
his physical state, except to the degree that his anxiety can't
help him physically. I know he is in good hands, otherwise.

Anyway, since it appears that it will be snowing all day, with
predictions now of up to three feet, I probably would not have
been able to get him today anyway. And it is better for him to be
there if he has a setback or needs some kind of prompt attention.

BTW, are they going to be smart enough to have IB fluids running
through him to see whether he can urinate after the catheter is
removed? He may very well not eat or drink anything while he is
there.

Relatedly, if he doesn't eat or drink anything there, and they
just give him IV fluids, is his liver in
danger???????????????????????

--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 03:08 PM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

That's how I got the Hills Special Prescription Diet was at the vet. Icarus
has to eat it for 3 weeks. But I am also giving it to the other cats as a
preventative. I think you might be able to get Hills at Petsmart but I went
with what the vet prescribed at first since he only needs a cup a day of the
dry food. I mixed it with the old food so they can easily transition over to
it.

Right. I asked about mixing it at first, maybe not optimal from
some points of view, but better in some ways too. I will also do
research on foods for his condition, whether that turns out to
JUST be struvite crystals or whether there turn out to be other
issues. I want him to have whatever food (actually I would prefer
FOODS) are best for him, preferably wet and dry. I may get a new
fountain for him too. I got one a few years ago, and it leaked.
Maybe they are better now. And I will lay in a supply of ice
cubes. He drinks a lot when he has ice floating in his water.

--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 03:09 PM
Jean B.

KellyH wrote:

You can only get Prescription foods at the vet.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net
"Wake up, and smell the cat food" -TMBG

Now why is that? Surely there must be good foods that do no
promote crystals that are available elsewhere. It's not like
these foods are drugs! But then I am just beginning this journey.
--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 03:10 PM
Jean B.

KellyH wrote:

Did you ask the vet about mixing the prescription food with the old for
Icarus? I'm not sure that's a good idea. I thought the whole deal with the
Rx food is it is specially formulated to stop the crystals from formulating.
If mixed with regualr food, it won't be as effective.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net
"Wake up, and smell the cat food" -TMBG

I asked, and the initial response was favorable. That may change
when I go to pick Mingy up. I would just do that to try to avoid
intestinal upsets from an abrupt transition.
--
Jean B.