Ping Helen S [OT]

Old May 25th 05, 01:59 PM
CatNipped

Default Ping Helen S [OT]

I'm now up to 10 miles a day on my granny, one-speed bike. That's with the
wind, and against the wind, up hill and down hill (or, being it's Houston,
up incline and down decline ;). I do this in about 50 minutes. I'd
probably bike longer, but the heat is just too bad (up to 95F yesterday) to
go any longer.

Questions:

How long did it take you to work up to a century? How long does it take you
to do a century? Is that just an occasional thing, or do you do this often?
How many stops do you make, and how long can you go without stopping?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old May 25th 05, 02:39 PM
wafflycat

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I'm now up to 10 miles a day on my granny, one-speed bike. That's with
the wind, and against the wind, up hill and down hill (or, being it's
Houston, up incline and down decline ;). I do this in about 50 minutes.
I'd probably bike longer, but the heat is just too bad (up to 95F
yesterday) to go any longer.

Excellent. How you need to be getting a lighter bike with more gears... drop
handlebars... carbon frame... clipless pedals... bladed spokes on the
wheels... ;-)

Questions:

How long did it take you to work up to a century? How long does it take
you to do a century? Is that just an occasional thing, or do you do this
often? How many stops do you make, and how long can you go without
stopping?

Oh-err-missus! This means using my brain! Last summer did first one - in
France. Because I Had To! Cycling away from Gite de Flea et Cockroach, back
down to Bordeaux & out of Bordeaux again to find new accommodation... wasn't
exactly planned for but as bike was only transport - had to do it! And I was
on my heavier bike with full panniers. Doing centuries is very much an
occasional thing for me.

Stops - I can manage 30'ish miles comfortably without stopping - dependent
upon terrain & weather. Norwich & back (along back roads) is 55-56'ish miles
on gentle undulating roads & I can manage that easily. As a general rule, I
can comfortably cycle up to two hours without stopping (but I will be taking
sips from my drink bottle whilst riding).

Indeed, I can keep going all day (without checking mileage) as long as I
keep hydrated, keep the blood sugar levels up and take it at my own pace
(slow). The thing I find a killer for cycling any distance is wind. Rain I
can cope with, but wind really saps the strength - unless it's a tailwind,
which is hardly ever!

I rarely plan my cycling in such detail - I just get into my kit, get bike
out & ride. How far I go depends on where the wheels take me :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old May 25th 05, 03:39 PM
O J

CatNipped wrote:

I'm now up to 10 miles a day on my granny, one-speed bike.

If you'd like a cooler name for your bike, in LA it would be known as
a 'strand cruiser', named for folk who just want to cruise up and down
the bike path that runs along the beach for much of LA county.

That's with the
wind, and against the wind, up hill and down hill (or, being it's Houston,
up incline and down decline ;). I do this in about 50 minutes.

That's not bad, not bad at all. I used to commute about 8 1/2 miles
per day to work and about 30 miles home a couple of days a week. I
was doing this on a twelve speed road bike though.

I'd probably bike longer, but the heat is just too bad (up to 95F yesterday) to
go any longer.

Make sure you have a water bottle holder and keep yourself hydrated.

Questions:

How long did it take you to work up to a century?

It depends on the person. You'd want to switch to a real road bike to
do centuries. You're coming along nicely though. Generally speaking
if you can do 50 miles on each of two successive days and suffer no
ill effects, you can do 100 on one day.

How long does it take you to do a century?

With hills, and rest stops, averaging 20mph for a beginning century
rider is excellent time -- you'd have to work up to that.

Is that just an occasional thing, or do you do this often?

Some people plan one every weekend. That's a tough crowd to hang
with. When you think you're ready, you can be like most people who
ride centuries and do an occasional organzed charity ride where the
entry fees go to a charity after deducting the ride's expenses.

How many stops do you make, and how long can you go without stopping?

Most ride organizers would have three to four rest areas for a
century. You can fill up on light fare like peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches or fresh fruit and refill your water bottle. How long you
stay at the stop is up to you. Some folks take a nice rest. Some
treat the stop as if it was something to get over as quickly as
possible and back on the road. These are the folks who are
clock-watchers and are concerned about their overall time.

My last century, I broke two spokes and had to had to replace them
with spares (needed a wrench from a gasoline station that fortunately
was handy), re-true the wheel, and I still finished in the middle of
the pack. Remember, it's only a race if you make it one.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old May 25th 05, 04:00 PM
CatNipped

"O J" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

I'm now up to 10 miles a day on my granny, one-speed bike.

If you'd like a cooler name for your bike, in LA it would be known as
a 'strand cruiser', named for folk who just want to cruise up and down
the bike path that runs along the beach for much of LA county.

That sounds good, I think I'll use it! ;

That's with the
wind, and against the wind, up hill and down hill (or, being it's Houston,
up incline and down decline ;). I do this in about 50 minutes.

That's not bad, not bad at all. I used to commute about 8 1/2 miles
per day to work and about 30 miles home a couple of days a week. I
was doing this on a twelve speed road bike though.

OK, I gotta ask, how do you go 8 1/2 miles *to* work, but 30 miles home - do
you live in a motor home and your significant other moves it on you??? LOL
;

I'd probably bike longer, but the heat is just too bad (up to 95F
yesterday) to
go any longer.

Make sure you have a water bottle holder and keep yourself hydrated.

Yep, I bought that at the same time I bought the bike. I got so used to
drinking bottled water that it comes with me everywhere, and especially when
I'm exercising in this heat!

Questions:

How long did it take you to work up to a century?

It depends on the person. You'd want to switch to a real road bike to
do centuries. You're coming along nicely though. Generally speaking
if you can do 50 miles on each of two successive days and suffer no
ill effects, you can do 100 on one day.

Well, I'd do 6 miles on my stationary bike and then an additional 1.3 miles
on my treadmill at home in 45 minutes. But I'm finding that riding a real
bike is more work than a stationary bike. It's not really getting tired out
that stops me so much as the heat.

How long does it take you to do a century?

With hills, and rest stops, averaging 20mph for a beginning century
rider is excellent time -- you'd have to work up to that.

DH clocked me at 20 - 25 MPH a few days ago, but that was on an even stretch
with no wind resistance. I'm figurin that if it takes me 50 minutes for 10
miles, we looking at about 8 1/2 to 9 hours not including rest stops. I
don't know if I could do that for *quite* some time yet (if ever - I've
started this pretty late in life!). However, I've been reading that even if
you start exercising late in life you still get as much benefit from it as
someone who has exercised all their lives (regared helping to retain bone
mass, heart and lung health, and cancer prevention) - so I'm going to keep
at it.

Is that just an occasional thing, or do you do this often?

Some people plan one every weekend. That's a tough crowd to hang
with. When you think you're ready, you can be like most people who
ride centuries and do an occasional organzed charity ride where the
entry fees go to a charity after deducting the ride's expenses.

I might be able to do it if I had the benefit of someone "on call" with a
truck so I had the security of knowing I could stop if it got too rough.

How many stops do you make, and how long can you go without stopping?

Most ride organizers would have three to four rest areas for a
century. You can fill up on light fare like peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches or fresh fruit and refill your water bottle. How long you
stay at the stop is up to you. Some folks take a nice rest. Some
treat the stop as if it was something to get over as quickly as
possible and back on the road. These are the folks who are
clock-watchers and are concerned about their overall time.

My last century, I broke two spokes and had to had to replace them
with spares (needed a wrench from a gasoline station that fortunately
was handy), re-true the wheel, and I still finished in the middle of
the pack. Remember, it's only a race if you make it one.

Hope this helps.

It helps a lot, thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old May 25th 05, 04:05 PM
CatNipped

"wafflycat" waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I'm now up to 10 miles a day on my granny, one-speed bike. That's with
the wind, and against the wind, up hill and down hill (or, being it's
Houston, up incline and down decline ;). I do this in about 50 minutes.
I'd probably bike longer, but the heat is just too bad (up to 95F
yesterday) to go any longer.

Excellent. How you need to be getting a lighter bike with more gears...
drop handlebars... carbon frame... clipless pedals... bladed spokes on the
wheels... ;-)

I'm too cheap for that! ; Besides, I firmly believe that a bike like that
would get me killed - I'd be furiously back-pedalling trying to stop the
bike and run right into an oncoming car! I just can't get used to hand
brakes, especially in a panic-inducing situation (like going into the path
of a vehicle). I almost killed myself the other day just trying to avoid a
squirrel! ;

[...]

Wow, you must be in fantastic shape! I too find going against the wind is
as bad as riding uphill!

I rarely plan my cycling in such detail - I just get into my kit, get bike
out & ride. How far I go depends on where the wheels take me :-)

Cheers, helen s

Sounds like fun. I haven't gotten up the courage to go very far from home
yet - I just go to the park and go 'round and 'round the walking path (1/2
mile) until I get up to 10 miles. I'm afraid to go near any major traffic*,
so that limits me.

*Drivers here in Houston are total idiots and I'm sure I'd be run over!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 25th 05, 04:10 PM
wafflycat

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

LOL - you don't back-pedal to brake - such brakes are for wee'uns - you need
Proper Brakes - you are a woman, not a wee'un ;-)

[...]

Sadly, no, I'm not in fantastic shape - yet ;-) Working on it though!
Definitely more toned than I was before regular exercise.

I rarely plan my cycling in such detail - I just get into my kit, get
bike out & ride. How far I go depends on where the wheels take me :-)

Cheers, helen s

Sounds like fun. I haven't gotten up the courage to go very far from home
yet - I just go to the park and go 'round and 'round the walking path (1/2
mile) until I get up to 10 miles. I'm afraid to go near any major
traffic*, so that limits me.

*Drivers here in Houston are total idiots and I'm sure I'd be run over!

What you need is a cycle training course of some kind. Perhaps there's a
cycling club in the area you could find a "bike buddy" in? Now, there *are*
road cyclists in Texas.... I know of one at least. Lance something or other
he's named ;-) Seriously - I know such schemes exist on your side of the
pond, but if there's any near you I'm not sure. The thing with road riding
is to be confident and practise safe, assertive cycling techniques. Like any
skill - the more you do it, the better you become.

Cheers, helen s

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 25th 05, 04:11 PM
Cheryl

CatNipped wrote:

Sounds like fun. I haven't gotten up the courage to go very far from home
yet - I just go to the park and go 'round and 'round the walking path (1/2
mile) until I get up to 10 miles. I'm afraid to go near any major traffic*,
so that limits me.

*Drivers here in Houston are total idiots and I'm sure I'd be run over!

One of the reasons I have very rarely ridden a bike since I became an
adult is that the last time I tried, I became convinced that certain
drivers in Halifax & Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, deliberately aimed their
cars at cyclists!

The other reasons have to do with hills, rain and snow, and high winds
in my present home (plus a suspicion that the local drivers are no
better than the ones in Nova Scotia were years ago).

Astonishingly, there are people who bike and jog outdoors here.

Cheryl
Old May 25th 05, 04:35 PM
CatNipped

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...
CatNipped wrote:

Sounds like fun. I haven't gotten up the courage to go very far from
home yet - I just go to the park and go 'round and 'round the walking
path (1/2 mile) until I get up to 10 miles. I'm afraid to go near any
major traffic*, so that limits me.

*Drivers here in Houston are total idiots and I'm sure I'd be run over!

One of the reasons I have very rarely ridden a bike since I became an
adult is that the last time I tried, I became convinced that certain
drivers in Halifax & Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, deliberately aimed their cars
at cyclists!

Yep, people with cars are more dangerous here than people with guns!

The other reasons have to do with hills, rain and snow, and high winds in
my present home (plus a suspicion that the local drivers are no better
than the ones in Nova Scotia were years ago).

Astonishingly, there are people who bike and jog outdoors here.

Here too, they're much more trusting than I am! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheryl

Old May 25th 05, 05:31 PM
Katz

CatNipped wrote:

That's not bad, not bad at all. I used to commute about 8 1/2 miles
per day to work and about 30 miles home a couple of days a week. I
was doing this on a twelve speed road bike though.

OK, I gotta ask, how do you go 8 1/2 miles *to* work, but 30 miles home - do
you live in a motor home and your significant other moves it on you??? LOL
;

LOL. I wondered the same thing.
I'm so impressed w/you guys & your biking. I'm a lazy sod! And I'd be
terrified to bike on the street. I rent a bike when I go to the New
Jersy shore, b/c it's flat & has a wide shoulder. And I also only ride
a -ahem- strand cruiser. I never learned to use gears, although I drive
a standard transmission car. LOL

Old May 25th 05, 06:02 PM
wafflycat

"Katz" wrote in message
ps.com...
CatNipped wrote:

That's not bad, not bad at all. I used to commute about 8 1/2 miles
per day to work and about 30 miles home a couple of days a week. I
was doing this on a twelve speed road bike though.

OK, I gotta ask, how do you go 8 1/2 miles *to* work, but 30 miles home -
do
you live in a motor home and your significant other moves it on you???
LOL
;

LOL. I wondered the same thing.
I'm so impressed w/you guys & your biking. I'm a lazy sod! And I'd be
terrified to bike on the street. I rent a bike when I go to the New
Jersy shore, b/c it's flat & has a wide shoulder. And I also only ride
a -ahem- strand cruiser. I never learned to use gears, although I drive
a standard transmission car. LOL

To a cyclist, the obvious answer is 8 miles to get to work by quickest bike
route - 30 miles on way home to de-stress and enjoy a lovely bike ride via a
more scenic route :-)

Cheers, helen s

PING: Helen Wheels Yowie Cat anecdotes 1 January 17th 05 12:26 PM
Ping & Weeble visit TED (long) Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 22 November 11th 04 01:35 PM
Ping Helen Wheels badwilson Cat anecdotes 4 July 6th 04 02:44 AM
[OT] PING - The Poster formerly known as Wafflycathcs - re bites gone ugly Lorraine Cat anecdotes 27 May 27th 04 03:59 AM