Would you eat it?

Old September 2nd 10, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Would you eat it?

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:06:10 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

"moonglow minnow" wrote in message
In article ,
"CatNipped" wrote:

This morning DH was late waking up to feed the cats their breakfast. I
didn't want to wake him by yelling for him, so I managed to climb up the
stairs and fixed myself a chicken sandwich (traditional breakfast foods
tend
to make me nauseated for some reason). After pouring a glass of tea I
brought it all downstairs. I set the paper plate, with my sandwich, on my
bed while I was putting Splenda packets, one at a time and testing each
because it tends to go from tasting no sweet to cloyingly sweet in just
one
or two packets. When I looked up I saw Archer licking my sandwich.

How many of you would have eaten the sandwich anyway, how many would go
back
and fix another sandwich?

I'd eat the sandwich anyway. Everything has cat hair in it already
anyway, which contains dry cat spit, so why be bothered by a little
fresh cat spit?

Then again, I've been known to let the rats eat off my plate before I'm
done eating, so...

--
minnow ^..^

http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/

LOL! I figure that I, when I was a child, and also my children, ate all
sorts of nasties and survived to tell about it* so, like you, I figure
what's a little cat spit going to harm?

This is also why I believe that there are *SO* many more children now-a-days
with allergies and illnesses because their childhood has been so antiseptic
that their bodies never get the chance to create antibodies for a wide range
of things (not to mention causing viruses to build up defenses against so
many antiseptics and antibacterial to the point were we may end up having a
pandemic disease not treatable by any drug we have today).

There is a theory that several autoimmune diseases are becoming more
prevalent because kids don't crawl in the dirt any more and ingest
worms. Apparently having floors can be a bad thing.
Old September 2nd 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Happy" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 21:09:12 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
typed:
Adrian wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
This morning DH was late waking up to feed the cats their
breakfast. I didn't want to wake him by yelling for him, so I
managed to climb up the stairs and fixed myself a chicken sandwich
(traditional breakfast foods tend to make me nauseated for some
reason). After pouring a glass of tea I brought it all downstairs.
I set the paper plate, with my sandwich, on my bed while I was
putting Splenda packets, one at a time and testing each because it
tends to go from tasting no sweet to cloyingly sweet in just one or
two packets. When I looked up I saw Archer licking my sandwich.

How many of you would have eaten the sandwich anyway, how many
would go back and fix another sandwich?

I probably would have eaten it.

It depends. There are two forces competing for dominance within my
psyche: hypochondria and laziness. If I were feeling nauseated, or if
I were seriously ill and easily nauseated, I would not eat it. If my
system were that fragile, I'd be too worried that it wouldn't be able
to defend itself from any stray bacteria coming from the cat's mouth.
If I were feeling fine, though, the laziness principle would no doubt
win out and I'd just eat it as is.

On the other hand, if I were trying to gain weight, I would not be
using Splenda to sweeten my food!

Any and all artificial sweeteners make me very very ill. Whilst perhaps
Im
not as paranoid as my health-freak type friends who swear that they are
poison and cause everything from cancer to alzheimers, I still couldn't
in
good faith recommend them for long-term use. Fructose is a natural sugar
and has twice the sweet-per-gram that sugar has, but doesn't (at least
doesn't for me) react in my gut the same way artificial sweetners do.

Yowie

The problem is, I can *eat* anything I want, but I can't *drink* anything
with sugar in it because it makes me deathly ill for hours afterwards. I
tried stevia, and just can't take it - my body seems to require artificial
rather than natural.

Have you tried organic raw cane sugar? Because it is not processed it
retains a slight molasses coating (cannot taste it, at least I can't)
and because the crystals are bigger - kinda like seasalt - you need
less. Maybe it's in the processing as to why you can't tolerate table
sugar in your beverages?

Sophia

P.S. I just finished (I know too late at night - LOL) a delish coffe
sweetened with organic cane sugar (just a smidge) and Almond Breeze
Vanilla drink - a "mild" made from almonds. Can also use vanilla soy
"milk" or Vanilla Rice Dream "milk". yummy!

I've never seen organic cane sugar in any grocery here, so do you know what
specialty store (like GNC) which might sell it?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old September 2nd 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message

The problem is, I can *eat* anything I want, but I can't *drink*
anything with sugar in it because it makes me deathly ill for hours
afterwards. I tried stevia, and just can't take it - my body seems
to require artificial rather than natural.

How strange and unique our individual biological systems are!

What happens to you if you have sugar?

If I have sugar in my food, it stays in my stomach long enough to be
partially processed. However, if I drink something with sugar in it the
sugar goes straight to my intestines. This causes nausea, light-headed
feeling like I'm going to die but not quickly enough (like you). This will
last for a couple of hours. It may be something like hypoglycemia, but I
don't know for sure.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

If I have artificial sweetner, about 2-3 hours afterward, I start to feel
bloated and light headed, then the godawful cramps start. About half an
hour after the cramps start, the gas production unit starts sending test
flares. Once the gas proportion is ejected, then the solid portion is
ejected in a rather explosive manner, leaving me praying for death upon
the porcelain throne. It is not a pleasant experience, although thankfully
I have a few hours between eating/drinking whatever it was and the after
effects, so if the situation is such that I *must* eat the contaminated
food or drink, i can usually find a safe and appropriate place to feel
like dying without appearing to flake on the event. I've even had to book
myself into hotels for the night to cope - a public restroom is really not
suitable for such an event.

Yowie

Old September 2nd 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLBriggs

wrote:

[...]

Therefore, the old saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
Best wishes. MLB
Old September 2nd 10, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Adrian wrote:

I remember once when I was a kid my dad made me a sandwich, he cut his
finger in the process and dripped some blood on the sandwich. He said,
"I'll make another one" I said "don't bother" picked it up and ate it.
The look on his face was priceless. :-)

A few years ago I had a friend over for dinner. I was in the kitchen,
making salad, when I (GROSSNESS WARNING) sliced off a small piece of my
thumb. Just the skin. But that sucker really bled! I started to get
lightheaded, not from loss of blood (LOL), just from the squeamishness
factor. But with my friend's help, I managed to get some ice on it and
keep my hand up and put pressure on the wound, and then put a bandage
on it. This was one of those injuries that seemed a lot worse than it
actually was.

Anyway, once I resumed dinner-prep activities, I found the small, perfectly
circular dome of thumb skin sitting on the cutting board. So I asked my
friend if she would be grossed out knowing that her food was prepared on
the same cutting board, and she said, "No, as long as the thumb isn't in
the salad."

Joyce

--
Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
Old September 2nd 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

In article ,
wrote:

moonglow minnow wrote:

MythBusters, on the other hand, showed that bacteria transfer the same
in less than 5 seconds as they do with significantly more time, at least
according to the petri dishes. Also: your keyboard is dirtier than your
toilet, your toilet has far worse nasties, and your cell phone is
absolutely disgusting. Different episode.

Wait, which is worse - the toilet or the keyboard? Sounds like you're
saying the keyboard is worse, and then saying the toilet is worse.

I can vouch for my keyboard being dirty - I just cleaned it out,
*partially*, because the space bar was sticking. It was *full* of
crumbs!

Joyce

The keyboard has lots and lots of bacteria but they're mostly not the
really nasty stuff. The toilet seat has very few bacteria but what grows
there can (potentially) make you pretty darned sick. I wouldn't want to
lick either.

That reminds me, it's probably about time to give my laptop the old
turn-over-and-shake (while it's off, of course) followed by a once-over
with a disinfectant wipe. I'm the only one who uses it so my system is
used to all the bacteria on there, but it's getting a little gucky
looking.

Old September 3rd 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I agree with this. Have always told my daughter her son has to eat a little
dirt to be stronger. She disagreed until he is now 18 and every allergy
known to man.

Old September 3rd 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
CatNipped typed:
"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

IIRC, they were trialling hookworm to treat asthma, IBD, Crohn's and even
coeliac disease, the logic being that we evolved with these parasites in our
gut, and therefore our immune system has been specifically tuned to function
with them present. Take them away, and our immune system is 'out of tune' so
to speak.

Here's an article:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2006/4/30/91945/8971

Its gross.

I do not endorse this method of treatment, but merely link to it out of
curiousity.

Yowie

Old September 3rd 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

If TuTu wanted my sandwich that badly, I'd let her have it and make
another for myself. What TuTu wants, TuTu gets! MLB