I guess she's NOT a snow kitten!

Old December 2nd 04, 03:44 AM
Dan M

Default I guess she's NOT a snow kitten!

Yesterday Harri didn't get to go on her daily kitten-walk. We were
driving through northern Utah and western Wyoming, and the temperatures
were ranging from 10 degrees to minus 10 degrees (F, not C). With ice
and snow all over everything and temps that low, I decided it would not
be in her best interest to try to go for a walk.

Today we were able to head south, planning to deliver in the LA area
Thursday morning. As we got near Kanaraville, UT I spotted a rest area
with less snow cover than we had been seeing, and the temp was all the
way up to 22 degrees, so I figured it would be worth a try. I parked,
got Harri all harnessed up, and headed over to the pet area. I found a
reasonably snow-free area and put her down, and she went charging down
the hill. Straight into the snow. Snow drifted deeper than she is tall.
She made it about 6 feet until she bogged down in snow that came up to
her tummy, then struggled back a couple of feet. I picked her up and put
her on another fairly clear patch of ground, and she again bounded into
snow up to her tummy.

When I picked her up and put her on clear ground again she turned around
and made a beeline for the truck. She never does that! When we go
walking I always have to pick her up and carry her, with her crying all
the way back. "Please, Paw, just 5 more minutes!". This time there was
no hesitation at all - straight to the truck, and stand on her hind feet
trying to reach the steps herself. She does NOT like snow!

We finally drove out of the snow around St. George. When we got to
Nevada the temp was actually up into the 50s so I found a truck parking
area and we went for a real walk. Since it had been a couple days I let
her keep us out an hour and a half instead of our usual hour. She found
close to a dozen lizards to chase (didn't catch any), and was so
exhausted when we finished our walk that she slept for the next 3 hours.

Dan
Old December 2nd 04, 05:41 AM
Marina

Dan M wrote:

When I picked her up and put her on clear ground again she turned around
and made a beeline for the truck. She never does that! When we go
walking I always have to pick her up and carry her, with her crying all
the way back. "Please, Paw, just 5 more minutes!". This time there was
no hesitation at all - straight to the truck, and stand on her hind feet
trying to reach the steps herself. She does NOT like snow!

LOL! Poor baby. Warming purrs coming over. Nikki doesn't mind plowing
through snow up to her tummy, but then she likes rain, too. Frank hates
the icky white stuff.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old December 2nd 04, 11:33 AM
O J

Dan M wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
We finally drove out of the snow around St. George. When we got to
Nevada the temp was actually up into the 50s so I found a truck parking
area and we went for a real walk. Since it had been a couple days I let
her keep us out an hour and a half instead of our usual hour. She found
close to a dozen lizards to chase (didn't catch any), and was so
exhausted when we finished our walk that she slept for the next 3 hours.

What I'm curious about is how you show kitten walk time in your log
book. Is it just part of your required rest hours or do you mention
the kitten? G

My girl Misty (RB) rode with us through twenty-two states. How does
Harri measure up so far?

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old December 2nd 04, 01:43 PM
Dan M

Aww, that image of her standing on her hind feet, trying to reach the
steps is so cute. Did she shake her back paws vigorously, trying to get
the icky stuff off of them?

Joyce

As soon as she was clear of the snow. SHe was much less persistent about
it than Amelia is about rainwater off her paws. Amelia does
step-shake-step-shake until each paw has been shaken at least a dozen
times. Harri just paused long enough to shake each hind paw once. I
guess she knew she was going to be wrapped in a nice dry towel as soon
as she got in the truck!
Old December 2nd 04, 01:44 PM
Dan M

What I'm curious about is how you show kitten walk time in your log
book. Is it just part of your required rest hours or do you mention
the kitten? G

I need the Feds to authorize a 5th line on the grid - "Kitten play time"

My girl Misty (RB) rode with us through twenty-two states. How does
Harri measure up so far?

SHe has a ways to go yet! So far she's travelled with me through IL, MO,
WI, SD, WY, IA, NE, UT, NV, AZ, and CA. That's probably as many as she's
going to get for a while, since I'm still in the CA regional fleet.

Dan
Old December 2nd 04, 01:47 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Dan M wrote:
What I'm curious about is how you show kitten walk time in your log
book. Is it just part of your required rest hours or do you mention
the kitten? G

I need the Feds to authorize a 5th line on the grid - "Kitten play
time"
My girl Misty (RB) rode with us through twenty-two states. How does
Harri measure up so far?

SHe has a ways to go yet! So far she's travelled with me through IL,
MO, WI, SD, WY, IA, NE, UT, NV, AZ, and CA. That's probably as many
as she's going to get for a while, since I'm still in the CA regional
fleet.
Dan

Wow - that's one well travelled kitten. Since she's still a kitten, aren't
you afraid that you'll get in trouble for "transporting a minor across state
lines" ?

--?
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)© email me at
nalee1964 (at) insightbb (dot) com

Old December 2nd 04, 06:43 PM
SUQKRT

In article , Dan M wrote:

We finally drove out of the snow around St. George. When we got to
Nevada the temp was actually up into the 50s so I found a truck parking

area and we went for a real walk. Since it had been a couple days I let

her keep us out an hour and a half instead of our usual hour. She found

close to a dozen lizards to chase (didn't catch any), and was so
exhausted when we finished our walk that she slept for the next 3 hours.

Dan

I agree with Harri. Snow yuk! Would someone please buy me a house in Florida.
Joanne would come along. She hates snow too.

PS Her back is improving.
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
PK (Pre Kitten) Update - The Money Shot (Long, sorry) Stacey Cat anecdotes 10 August 20th 03 03:37 AM
Petra kitten is dead, advise for her sister Dan Mahoney Cat anecdotes 4 August 15th 03 10:43 PM
Kitten fever Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 5 August 12th 03 06:23 AM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM