Declawing etc Illegal in Rome

Old November 11th 05, 12:21 AM
meee

Default Declawing etc Illegal in Rome

"Phil P." wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

wrote in message

I find most things done for religion odd.

Just think, in 1 or 2 thousand years, the people will look back at us

and
our religions the same way we look back at the ancient Romans and

Greeks
and
their religions with all their gods and goddesses and wonder how we

could
have been so stupid.

Given that religion is supposed to be a positive thing for humans,
what really gets me is violence done in the name of God. And
lest we think that Muslim extremists invented this, we can
remember what we learned in school about the Christian
Crusades of medieval times.

Of all the religions, only the ancient Egyptians had the right idea- they
worshipped the CAT! (and the cats never forgot it).

lol! and the crocodile, and the baboon, and the ibis, and the frog, and the
snake, and the river, and whatever else happened to cross their path....
funny people those egyptians.

Old November 11th 05, 12:49 AM
Wendy

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Wendy" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote

Of all the religions, only the ancient Egyptians had the right idea-

they
worshipped the CAT! (and the cats never forgot it).

Speaking of someone who worships the cat, does the practice
of ear tipping bother you or am I just being overly sensitive?

What would you suggest as an alternative?

Why does the fact that it bothers me necessarily imply that I have
an alternative?

Nothing - just asking if you had a better way to mark the cats who have been
neutered already.

In a perfect world it wouldn't be necessary and I would hope that no cat
would end up with a tipped ear. However, the cats ears are being tipped
while people are attempting to control a problem and as a result provide
better life for the cat in the long run so I have no problem with it.

And you are entitled to your opinion. It still really bothers me.

Bothers you to see the poor kitties with tipped ears or morally bothers you?
I hate to see their beautiful ears messed with but understand the necessity
so accept it. That might have been a more accurate way to describe my
thinking on the matter.

Old November 11th 05, 12:56 AM
cybercat

"Wendy" wrote

Bothers you to see the poor kitties with tipped ears or morally bothers

you?

Both, if I understand what you're asking. When I say "bothers me" I mean
"bothers me," I don't mean "it should not be done." I understand that it
is helpful to the process of neutering ferals and spays and that therefore
in its proper context the greater good is being served. However, I am
not convinced that the mutilation is *necessary.*

I hate to see their beautiful ears messed with but understand the

necessity
so accept it. That might have been a more accurate way to describe my
thinking on the matter.

It's a reasonable approach. I guess mine is that I just wish there were
another
way to mark them than cutting part of them off. I am not arrogant enough to
think that just because I can't think of one, nobody can, so I am not yet
convinced that it IS *necessary.*

Old November 11th 05, 04:36 AM
whitershadeofpale

cybercat wrote:

It's a reasonable approach. I guess mine is that I just wish there were
another
way to mark them than cutting part of them off. I am not arrogant enough to
think that just because I can't think of one, nobody can, so I am not yet
convinced that it IS *necessary.*

I have to admit this is the first of heard of this.

I assume males are not tipped? is that the word?
seeing that their nuts are gone.

well, if the cat has been under the knife, (asleep)
why not use one of them chips I hear about on here.

Or some other micro implant.

I'd be willing to bet my pc that an implant is used by some.

Old November 11th 05, 05:03 AM
Phil P.

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote

Of all the religions, only the ancient Egyptians had the right idea-

they
worshipped the CAT! (and the cats never forgot it).

Speaking of someone who worships the cat, does the practice
of ear tipping bother you or am I just being overly sensitive?

Sure it bothers me. I think a large tattoo on the inside of the pinna would
be sufficiently noticeable. Tattoos aren't popular because the registration
number becomes illegible with time and the registries change or go out of
business. These reasons do not apply to ferals since the tattoo would only
need be
a mark to identify the cat as being neutered, vaccinated and managed. A
large "M" or even "X" tattooed on the inside of the pinna would be
sufficient and clearly visible from a distance- albeit not as noticible as
tipping.

Microchips aren't popular for ferals either because the cats must be trapped
to be scanned.

I don't agree with some of the policies of a lot of feral organizations.
Unfortunately, eartipping has become the 'accepted' policy for identifying
managed ferals.

Old November 11th 05, 06:29 AM
-L.

whitershadeofpale wrote:

I have to admit this is the first of heard of this.

I assume males are not tipped? is that the word?
seeing that their nuts are gone.

Any neutered cat is tipped - male or female. It's just a visual cue to
anyone who knows what it means that the cat has already been neutered.
It's a universal sign that the cat has been neutered. The very tip of
the ear is clipped off while the cat is under sedation. It doesn't
even need suturing, the wound is so minor.

well, if the cat has been under the knife, (asleep)
why not use one of them chips I hear about on here.

Too expensive - and you have to be able to trap a cat to scan it -
scanning a feral in a trap is nearly impossible. Tipping is done for a
number of reasons - one main reason is that if there is a feral hanging
out some place that people want trapped and neutered, you can tell if
it has already been neutered just by looking at it, so you don't waste
time, energy and money re-trapping cats that have already been through
the system.

Or some other micro implant.

I'd be willing to bet my pc that an implant is used by some.

Not likely. Chips cost a minimum iof $25 or so. Most TTVNR (trap,
test, vaccinate, neuter, release) or TNR (trap, neuter, release)
programs are run by volunteers who pay for everything from their own
pockets or through donations, which are scarce.

What do you think is a better use of $100 - neutering 4 cats or
neutering and chipping 2?

-L.

Old November 11th 05, 06:31 AM
-L.

whitershadeofpale wrote:

oh and uh

maddam butterfly she's loves me to sleep

(at least I imagine it)

You know Madam Butterfly was a dude, don't you?

-L.

Old November 11th 05, 08:40 PM
cybercat

"Phil P." wrote :

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

So you think the pinna tattoo would work just as well as the ear tipping
for allowing the cats to be identified at a distance? If you're right then
cutting off the tip of the ear is indeed NOT necessary. It is, as I
suspected,
just the easiest and most expedient thing for the trappers to do. That is
what
I feared.

Old November 11th 05, 08:53 PM
Wendy

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote :

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Think what you want but I don't think any tattoo on the inside of a cats ear
is going to be terribly visible at 10:00 at night to a Volunteer trapper.
These people aren't on the clock. They are taking their personal time to try
to help the cats. Lighten up a bit. Gees you act like the rescuers are jack
the ripper or something.

Old November 11th 05, 09:47 PM
cybercat

"Wendy" wrote

So you think the pinna tattoo would work just as well as the ear tipping
for allowing the cats to be identified at a distance? If you're right

then
cutting off the tip of the ear is indeed NOT necessary. It is, as I
suspected,
just the easiest and most expedient thing for the trappers to do. That

is
what
I feared.

Think what you want but I don't think any tattoo on the inside of a cats

ear
is going to be terribly visible at 10:00 at night to a Volunteer trapper.
These people aren't on the clock. They are taking their personal time to

try
to help the cats.

I feel sure many would love to do so without cutting off part of the cats'
ears, don't you?

Lighten up a bit. Gees you act like the rescuers are jack
the ripper or something.

That seems like a pretty dramatic interpretation of what I said above.
But to each her own.

Personally I think it would be great if a big, distinctive tattoo that would
be visible from a distance and at night could be used instead of cutting
off part of the cat's ear. That is not the same thing as saying that
rescuers
are "jack the ripper." In fact, isn't it the vet (I hope) who cuts off the
ear
tip? If the vet had a simple tool that would mark the ear indelibly and
clearly, that would be great.

Hooray Rome! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 8 October 25th 05 11:52 PM
Article: Cat who put owner in hospital from bite wounds to be destroyed. kaeli Cat health & behaviour 126 May 17th 04 02:26 PM
Laser declaw? Huh? stlibf Cat health & behaviour 160 January 23rd 04 04:41 PM
Unbelievable BS! WRT declawing from the SFVMA [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 6 September 29th 03 04:04 PM
OMG! One more reason to NOT declaw... Sherry Cat health & behaviour 374 August 22nd 03 08:38 PM