First Marlo pic, and a hissing situation

Old February 23rd 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default First Marlo pic, and a hissing situation

Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
"furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
this the safe room and bolt the

http://74.72.179.181/marlo

As for the hissing question, Espy is not taking this very well at all.
Marlo has only been in the house for four days so maybe this is just
going too quickly.

Yesterday I let Marlo roam out of the CIR for a bit, and Espy had
several major hissing fits and what sounded suspiciously like a growl.
Nipsy is no threat; he is a big wuss and would never have a
confontation while flight is still possible, but Espy is concerning me
a bit.

I can't keep Marlo in that room for much longer; she is clearly
getting bored and, being an outdoor cat, isn't used to such
confinement. It isn't like I got her from a cage somewhere. Yet she
isn't like little Jackie, who famously slugged Espy when he hissed at
her.

I have sprayed feliway around just in case it helps. I've rubbed Marlo
and let Espy sniff my hand. I've had her in the carrier while the boys
checked her out.

I'm likely to let her out again tonight for a few hours unless folks
think that this is a major mistake.

Old February 23rd 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:59:15 GMT, dgk wrote:

Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
room.

Aw, THAT GIRL! That girls is so pretty!!

I don't have any suggestions for you on the rest of your post... I can only
wish you well. That's completely outside of my experience.

--
Lynne
Old February 23rd 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 23 Feb, 13:59, dgk wrote:
[...]

she is so pretty!!!! that box spring behind looks in the same state my
bed is in now.

let's face it, intro are going to be hard, cats rarely take to each
other straight off be keep persisting. i am so glad you are taking her
in and giving her a chance of a home

can see onthe photo where she has had to be shaved for the needle to
go in for the anaesthetic, bless her little heart.

bookie

Old February 23rd 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

She's beautiful!! Hissing and growling are a natural part of integrating
cats. Yes, let her out for awhile later and supervise. Do not intervene
unless there is actual fighting. I think they will be fine in time. Just
give it time and patience.
Gail

Old February 23rd 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:20:03 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

She's beautiful!! Hissing and growling are a natural part of integrating
cats. Yes, let her out for awhile later and supervise. Do not intervene
unless there is actual fighting. I think they will be fine in time. Just
give it time and patience.
Gail

Thanks to all. Espy never did really become friendly with Jackie but
the hissing went away. I guess I just keep it up.

I was actually going to take off today to let her out and see what
happens since I'm going to be pretty busy over the weekend. Instead
they woke me up at 3am when Nipsy decided to start making whining
noises (how like him) out in the hall by the CIR door. So I let her
roam around a bit at that time instead.
Old February 23rd 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"dgk" wrote in message

[...]

I want her! She's adorable! She has an incredibly appealing face and I
think Marlo is a fabulous name for her. I'm so glad you took her in.
You're both lucky!

Can you confine Espy and Nipsy for a couple of hours periodically so that
she can explore? Maybe confine them in her room and let them explore it
while she's exploring their space. I think with introducing cats, the
slower the better. I rushed things a bit for Sophie, a cat that was dumped
on our property. She, too, had been an outdoor cat, was extremely
outgoing, and highly resented being cooped up in the bathroom. She never
was one to hide under the bed! After only a day or two (after being tested
and all) I gave in and let her have the run of the house. She was quite
aggressive toward the other cats and they all still hate her. She is doing
better now (2 years later) but still is a bit of a pariah. If I were doing
it over again I would have done things differently.

I don't remember who it is on this newsgroup, possibly MaryL? but she
previously posted pictures of a screened door where the cats could see and
smell each other but with no physical contact. With some cat introduction
it can take weeks.

Have fun! The more the merrier!

Bonnie and her seven

Old February 23rd 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:51:49 GMT, "22brix"
wrote:

Can you confine Espy and Nipsy for a couple of hours periodically so
that she can explore? Maybe confine them in her room and let them
explore it while she's exploring their space.

That sounds like a fantastic idea!

--
Lynne
Old February 23rd 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:51:49 -0800, "22brix"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks. I think I might lock Espy somewhere for a little while, but
I'm also trying to give him lots of treats. I think that when he falls
asleep on the cable box I'll just shut the door. He probably won't
even wake up.
Old February 23rd 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote in message

Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
"furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
this the safe room and bolt the

http://74.72.179.181/marlo

Oh, my mistake! She is definitely a Marlo.

What an adorable face!!

Old February 23rd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Maybe you're doing this already, but take a blanket or towel or
something that has her scent on it and put it in the same room with the
other cats. The same for them -- I think it helps to them all get used
to each other's smell before they spend much time face to face.

She is a pretty cat, the white is so white!

Rhonda