another question-this time about getting a dog

Old July 26th 03, 02:48 AM
-L.

Arjun Ray wrote in message . ..
In ,
(-L.) wrote:

| General rule of thumb is two cats are better than one, and three
| better than two, but sometimes the two just never get along. I have a
| male and female adopted 7 months apart (female first) and they
| tolerate each other, at best. OTOH, my Mom always had oodles of cats,
| which all got along. Go figure.

I now have four - three boys and then a girl - and they all get along
pretty well (links below). There have been others - a 6 mo feral female
I started to socialize and then adopted out, and a pair of kittens I
fostered for 3 months - and with each new combination in the apartment,
the overall dynamics changed.

When Marie came to stay (she was left temporarily by an indigent friend
who has now taken a job out of the country) the mellowness factor went
up appreciably. Even the two adults (full grown toms when I trapped
each of them) who just tolerated each other, became downright friendly!

| My general experience is that two males get along better if adopted as
| kittens - not necessarily at the same time. The majority of the mixes
| I have seen that didn't work out were male/female pairs.

Kittens, like all children, are more flexible and accepting. My foster
kittens were a brother-sister pair, and they got along very well with
each other. I had trapped them separately (the girl held out for an
incredible five days), and took the trouble to reintroduce them rather
than putting them together at once just because they were littermates
(they were about 11 weeks old at the time, and hadn't seen each other
for close to two weeks.)

Great pics of your cats! I love the pile of cats on the windowsill...

-L.
Old July 26th 03, 02:48 AM
-L.

Old July 29th 03, 01:33 AM
Kalyahna

"kate" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone!
Also good advice about going over the volunteer's head for an
adoption. I think she may have been the director, though. There was a
volunteer I spoke with first and she look as baffled as I was about
the refusal. Some things just aint meant to be...

The likelihood of the director doing an adoption counselling is pretty low.
There's enough to do every day to keep a director of any humane society far
too busy to show animals to potential adopters. Of course, turnover at
shelters is quite high, so you might have had a run-in with someone on their
way out. -Especially- if it came to the office manager or director's
attention that the person was denying perfectly good homes for the sake of
her pride.

I do keep looking at shelters, though. we may end up getting an older
cat after the aby is settled. I kow many think its better to get the
cats at the same time, and that may be true, but I would rather have
areally strong bond with my kitty first, instead of having her bond
with the other cat over me.
Is a female/female mix with cats any better than a male/female?

My two owned cats are both girls, mother and daughter, and would be
considered a bonded pair. They were barn cats who were surrendered. Now
they're inside cats. The mom, Pandora, sleeps on my pillow and monkeys on my
shoulder all over the apartment. The daughter, Persephone, burrows under the
blankets with me, and otherwise sleeps on my lap. A cat won't bond with you
if it doesn't have any interest in human affection. If you go to a local
shelter, try to get a hold of the people that work with the animals most
closely. Let them know what you're looking for in a cat. If you want a
mellow lap cat, or a playful, more distant, companion... if you want two,
some places have social-cat rooms, or have pairs on display. Just let them
know that you're having a baby soon, and someone who works with the cats
could probably tell you pretty quick which cats would work and which ones
absolutely would not.