possible temporary home needed for LA Maine Coone

Old August 6th 03, 06:59 PM
Debbie Trujillo

Default possible temporary home needed for LA Maine Coone

This cat belongs to our next-door neighbor Bob. On June 15, I got
suspicious when I noticed the newspapers piling up outside Bob's door
because he would always let someone know when he was going away and his car
was here. I mentioned my suspicions to another neighbor named Sunday so we
went in and found him sitting in his pajama bottoms in his downstairs
bathroom. He had throat cancer last year but has been cancer-free since
December. His problem turned out to be a bacterial infection of the blood
and he has been in the hospital since then getting surgeries for gallstones
and a heart valve replacement. The poor cat had not eaten in 3 days because
Bob had been too weak to even get up. Sunday and I were taking turns taking
care of this cat - however, I asked someone else here to take over for me
starting July 16 because my husband had to go into the hospital for prostate
cancer surgery and I've had my hands full since then.

I tried to bring this cat - named Kitty - over to our house the day we found
our neighbor (I should add we had just received confirmation 5 days before
that my husband had cancer). However, Kitty and our cat Natasha right away
got into a fight. We could not deal with this with everything that was
going on so I put Kitty back into her own home and we agreed it would be
best for someone to go over there morning and night to feed her, play with
her, and clean her litter box. We don't know at this point when Bob is
coming home as he may have to go into a convalescent home for a while.

Would anybody in the LA area be able to temporarily take this cat? I should
add that Sunday (who has been staying somewhere else because she is having
her house fixed up after a fire last winter) has offered to take Kitty when
she is moved back in. However, Sunday has 2 cats and Kitty doesn't really
do well with other cats (I have her bite mark on my temple to prove it - she
went crazy when she saw another cat while I was carrying her) so I have my
doubts about that working out. This is why I am asking.

--
Debbie Trujillo

Please visit my website at http://mysite.verizon.net/res21yh8/index.html.

Old August 7th 03, 01:53 AM

Debbie Trujillo wrote:

Kitty doesn't really do well with other
cats (I have her bite mark on my temple to
prove it - she went crazy when she saw
another cat while I was carrying her) so I
have my doubts about that working out.

The cat's response to the other cat was an absolutely normal one and it
certainly doesn't mean she can't get along with other cats. Exposing her
to your cat right away was a huge mistake. When you bring a new cat into
the house you need to keep it in a separate room for a week or so and
then start doing a *very* slow introduction. Here are instructions:
http://www.catsinternational.org/art...roduction.html

You can also see a photo diary of a very slow introduction (six weeks)
by clicking on my photo album link below and then clicking on the album
tiled "Duffy- The Introduction."

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 8th 03, 11:51 PM
Debbie Trujillo

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:53:54 -0500 (CDT)

Debbie Trujillo wrote:

Kitty doesn't really do well with other
cats (I have her bite mark on my temple to
prove it - she went crazy when she saw
another cat while I was carrying her) so I
have my doubts about that working out.

The cat's response to the other cat was an absolutely normal one and it
certainly doesn't mean she can't get along with other cats. Exposing her
to your cat right away was a huge mistake. When you bring a new cat into
the house you need to keep it in a separate room for a week or so and
then start doing a *very* slow introduction. Here are instructions:
http://www.catsinternational.org/art...roduction.html

It was a mistake. I should have shut her in the back bedroom - however, at
the time we were concerned about our neighbor and I thought it best to get
her out of there at least until the paramedics took him to the hospital.
Plus, with everything going on I was a bit overwhelmed and just wasn't
thinking of that.

Old August 8th 03, 11:51 PM
Debbie Trujillo

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Old August 14th 03, 08:17 AM
Debbie Trujillo

I'm happy to report my neighbor will be coming home tomorrow or the next
day. Another neighbor took the cat to get groomed today so she'll be nice
and clean for her papa. Thank you everyone who responded!