Excessive Vocalization

Old September 6th 05, 10:04 PM
LauraM

Default Excessive Vocalization

My kitty, Hobbes, has always been a talker. But lately, it's constant!
He follows me around constantly and meows all the time. He's a main
coon-type cat...large and fuzzy and so lovable. He has a repertoire of
sounds ranging from yowling when he roams around the house (occurs in
the early evening) and half-meows, trills and full meows. I thought
this was very cute at first, but now that his companion has been gone
for about two months now, he's gotten so much worse. They were
together all their lives and now he's by himself.

He sticks to me like glue except when he's sleeping. I hate to say
that it's bugging me but it is. I love him so much, don't get me
wrong. I cuddle him and pet him and talk to him constantly. But it's
never enough. He's extremely needy. He always has been, but it's now
increased ten-fold. Does anyone have experience with kitty grief? I'm
beginning to think his grieving is the cause of his excessive
vocalization.

Old September 7th 05, 12:38 AM
JQ

Hi, my cat is the same exactly!! I have heard cats do this who have
hypertension. However my cat doesn't. He's always been vocal, very
much!! But since his brother died he also wont let me out of his site.
I cuddle him as much as possible. When he screams I just reassure him
I'm there. And try to wean him off me. I try to ignore him a little
when I know he just wants too much attention. You don't want to make
him feel abandoned but just like a baby you can't let him always get
his way. Once he finds that screaming works he'll do it all the time.
Just give him space, pretend you're not interested and don't babyhim,
Just comfort him when necessary.
Good luck,
JQ

Old September 7th 05, 01:35 AM
LauraM

Hi JQ - I'm so glad there's someone else out there who understands! I
think I'll try not to baby him too much. I'm definitely guilty of
that! It's hard to resist. It's getting dangerous, though, because
he's getting under my feet so much I almost fell down the stairs.
Thanks for the advice!

Old September 7th 05, 01:47 AM
JQ

And one thing I also noticed - if I ever say my deceased cat's name
Simba really gets disturbed. Very confused and starts howling again.
Something to consider. They definately have feelings!! Take care
JQ

Old September 7th 05, 02:21 AM
LauraM

Oh my gosh, I noticed that too! I once called Emma's name out loud
and Hobbes was looking everywhere for her. There's a small stuffed
raccoon laying in a basket here in the tv room. Emma used to carry it
around the house and sleep with it. Hobbes goes over there and licks
the toy. Maybe I should get rid of it. So sad. BTW, I love the name
Simba. Very cute.

Old September 7th 05, 09:09 PM
LauraM

Hey JQ - After one day of not babying my kitty, he's vocalizing less.
I think my talking to him constantly added fuel to the fire. Thank you
so much for the advice!

Old September 8th 05, 12:14 AM
JQ

Good to hear it. They're like our little babies eh - we gotta listen to
their signs and take care of them.
Glad I could help a little.
Take Care, JQ