Can a cat be taught the meaning of 'no'?

Old August 6th 03, 11:48 PM
Calvin Rice

Default Can a cat be taught the meaning of 'no'?

I don't mean yelling at the cat, but just saying 'no', and the cat obeying.
Is it possible to teach a cat to stop doing what it is just starting to do
if you merely say 'no'?

-cr
Old August 7th 03, 12:11 AM
Judy

"Calvin Rice" wrote in message
m...
I don't mean yelling at the cat, but just saying 'no', and the cat

obeying.
Is it possible to teach a cat to stop doing what it is just starting to do
if you merely say 'no'?

-cr

Matilda has learned to obey this word. Her training started with the ole
water pistol method accompanied by the word "no". It's said in a low tone
and a bit drawn out. Within a couple of months she got the message and I was
able to toss the pistol. Now if I say "no" or "Matilda" in that low drawn
out tone, she usually stops what she's doing. On occassions when she's being
willful, I'll stair her in the eye, say the word and make as if I'm going to
approach her. Doing this usually sends her up to her room. LOLOL

I don't know how old your cat is Calvin, so this may or may not work. I used
this method with my previous and Matilda the day they arrived as kittens in
our home.

Good luck with your cat training! :c)

Judy & Matilda

Old August 7th 03, 01:11 AM
Andr0meda

Yes,
and I strongly believe that they understand most of we are saying to them.
I have proofs of that.
Andr0

Old August 7th 03, 05:52 AM
Mira

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:29:12 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

Mine know it. If they are scratching on something I shouldn't, I don't even
have to raise my voice. I just say No. and they stop. Friends are impressed.
I of course, immediatelly redirect them to an appropriate place and they go
to with gusto. We've only recently had to start this again as I got new
dining chairs. But they listen and learn.

They do. It is reciprocal. You listen to them and learn from them,
too. Like, "Don't touch my ears that way, it makes them itch because
they are furry inside. Scratch my head but stay the BLANK away from my
back feet! I hate it when you touch my feet! Clean my box at a time
when I can watch. I love to supervise. If you do, you will find less
unwelcome presents arount the house!" Etc.

Point is, it is not an "either/or" proposition. You compromise.

Karen