Hills Science Diet Dental

Old August 12th 03, 01:38 AM
Joe Canuck

Old August 12th 03, 08:11 AM
Milinda Lommer, DVM

"Julie Koretz" wrote:
My vet said that my ca, Jessie,t is now showing signs of slight
gingivitis(she's 13 years) and is now going to have her teeth cleaned
annually.

She has been on a wet diet for all these years, and latterly a senior wet

diet
- well mixed senior and adult as she won't eat senior everyday!!! The vet
said she must have dry crunchy food and we should get a mix of dental and
senior. When we went along to the pet shop we were told 'forget the

senior
diet it is a waste of time'. The pet shop owner claimed to have been a

feline
nutritionist for years and that vets go to him for advice.

Anyone able to give advice, have you used the dental, have you been

advised
against? What do you think?

Dear Julie,

Science Diet Oral Care Diet for Cats is not a substitute for professional
care, but can be very helpful in prolonging the time between visits,
especially if you are unable to brush Jessie's teeth daily (and provided she
doesn't swallow the kibble whole). Feel free to contact me at
petdentistatyahoo.com should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Milinda Lommer, DVM
Diplomate, American Veterinary Dental College

Aggie Animal Dental Service
San Francisco, CA

Old August 12th 03, 04:18 PM
GAUBSTER2

I just want to give cat food which is nutritious (not too high in salt as she

has a slight asymptomatic heart murmur) and which doesn't do anything too
drastic to her teeth!!! Is this too much to ask?

Go w/ what your vet recommends. Who do you trust more? The person who has the
education behind them, the person you took your beloved pet to in the first
place? OR some stranger (and I'm being kind here) in a pet store that claims
to know more than vets (who deal w/ real life problems on a daily basis).
Since your cat needs something that isn't high in salt you could go w/ a diet
like Hill's t/d. It has a senior nutrient profile and will attack the
periodontal problems as well. (there are differences in senior diets,
regardless of what the pet store employee told you--he certainly isn't a feline
nutritionist if he doesn't know that basic fact)

Old August 12th 03, 04:19 PM
GAUBSTER2

My vet said that my ca, Jessie,t is now showing signs of slight
gingivitis(she's 13 years) and is now going to have her teeth cleaned
annually.

Do you have any idea how many homeless people you can feed for the
price your spending on that furry, broken-down abomination?

Yeah, homeless people that are drug addicts and alcoholics.

snipped profanity from the troll From: "Lou Gehrig fan"

Old August 12th 03, 04:22 PM
GAUBSTER2

A dental diet will do nothing to help your cat's gingivitis, and a wet
diet is much healthier.

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. For example,
Hill's t/d is effacious for treating gingivitis and periodonal disease. It's
been clinically proven.

Expecting a food to do the job is ridiculous and
it irks me that companies promote these products and lead consumers to
believe that that is enough and that taking an active role in ensuring
the cat's dental health is unnecessary.

That is actually one of the ways a client can take an active role in their
cat's teeth--feeding a diet like t/d. It's certainly not "ridiculous". I
would call it responsible.