Is this unusual?-What is the reason for this behavior?

Old December 4th 03, 05:26 AM
Kuisse0002

Default Is this unusual?-What is the reason for this behavior?

My indoor-outdoor cat sleeps in her well protected and insulated cat bed/tunnel
just outside the main house on my patio.

It rained very heavily the other day and the next day I did the usual, always
clean out her bed & blanket to air it. But to my disgust, she left her poop
(intact & firm - not mushy & no ordours!) in her bed!

She has never done this before! Could it be that it was raining and she didn't
want to get wet in the rain to get to the flowerbed to poop and so she did it
in her bed! But that is most unusual for most animals because they usually
don't go near their poop.

Is this a major cause of concern or should I just dismiss it as her not wanting
to get wet and she couldn't hold herself anymore?
Old December 4th 03, 05:42 AM
Cathy Friedmann

If it's a one-off thing, I wouldn't worry. But if she does this sort of
thing again, then I'd start thinking about it more, investigating into
seeing if it's medical or behavioral, & the possible whys for either. Maybe
the rain kept her inside; that part I can't guess at.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old December 4th 03, 07:13 AM
Kuisse0002

Maybe
the rain kept her inside; that part I can't guess at.

Thats what I don't understand either. It is most unusual. At the moment I am
not too worried becasue judging by her poop, she's appears to be in good
health. Isn't it wierd. How do you explain such behavior?

Old December 4th 03, 11:54 AM
Sherry

Like Cathy said, if it's a one-time occurance, I wouldn't worry. Does she have
an indoor litter box?
I agree it's very weird behavior. Cats generally won't soil their own dens.
I've heard of cats who wouldn't even use litterboxes if they were too close to
their feeding station. Keep us posted

Sherry

Old December 4th 03, 04:20 PM
Mary

[...]

Get her a cat box! Of course she didn't want to get wet. I think she
left it in her own bed so as to disturb you and your things as little
as possible. Also, using your flower bed as a toilet is not really a
good thing for her to do.