Cat perch *outside* the window

Old April 29th 05, 04:39 AM
surfingnoreen

Default Cat perch *outside* the window

Hi Everyone:

I have a friend who is a cat lover but travels too often to own a pet.
There are many neighborhood cats near her home and she was wondering if
those cat window seats can be installed *outside* her office window on
the ground floor. From what I've read about the cat window seats, some
designs use velcro to hold things in place which wouldn't work too well
with rain, etc.

Okay,now she's rather set on this idea so do you have any suggestions
on where she could buy a cat window seat which would attach outside the
window?

Thanks,

Noreen

Old April 29th 05, 06:08 AM
John Doe

"surfingnoreen" wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I have a friend who is a cat lover but travels too often to own
a pet. There are many neighborhood cats near her home and she
was wondering if those cat window seats can be installed
*outside* her office window on the ground floor. From what I've
read about the cat window seats, some designs use velcro to hold
things in place which wouldn't work too well with rain, etc.

Okay,now she's rather set on this idea so do you have any
suggestions on where she could buy a cat window seat which would
attach outside the window?

Is she feeding the cats? I don't see any other way they would come
to a cat seat on the outside of a window. If she is feeding the
cats, is she also making sure they are neutered or spade and have
shots?

Thanks,

Noreen

From: "surfingnoreen" heavlin astreet.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Cat perch *outside* the window
Date: 28 Apr 2005 20:39:14 -0700

Old April 29th 05, 03:10 PM
surfingnoreen

John Doe wrote:

Is she feeding the cats? I don't see any other way they would come
to a cat seat on the outside of a window. If she is feeding the
cats, is she also making sure they are neutered or spade and have
shots?

The cats are in good condition, owned by other people. I'm not sure
whether she's feeding the cats or not. I gather she has enough cat
visitors to her backyard she wants to provide a nice bed for them to
rest, if they choose to do so.

The question is, though, do those window perches work *outside* or are
they designed to be in-door only.

Noreen

Old April 29th 05, 11:28 PM
MaryL

"surfingnoreen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone:

I have a friend who is a cat lover but travels too often to own a pet.
There are many neighborhood cats near her home and she was wondering if
those cat window seats can be installed *outside* her office window on
the ground floor. From what I've read about the cat window seats, some
designs use velcro to hold things in place which wouldn't work too well
with rain, etc.

Okay,now she's rather set on this idea so do you have any suggestions
on where she could buy a cat window seat which would attach outside the
window?

Thanks,

Noreen

The only cat perches I have seen are designed for inside the home. The
problem with using them outdoors is that the carpet would get soaked with
rain water and probably would *not* dry quickly. However, you could look at
the basic design and probably come up with something very similar for
outdoors. In fact, if you get one of the perches with a solid ledge (not
the hammock style), you could probably use one of the commercial perches but
replace the indoor carpeting with outdoor carpeting (the kind often used
used on steps or porches). Or, you could simply use a flat wood panel and
eliminate the carpeting altogether -- which might be a better option because
it would not get soiled so quickly and could easily be cleaned.

MaryL

Old April 30th 05, 01:26 AM
surfingnoreen

Thanks, MaryL. I would imagine I should suggest she consider what
material the perch is made out of, too. Thanks for the idea about the
outdoor carpeting. Who knows if she can get cats to sit on the sill
outside her window or not.

Noreen

Old April 30th 05, 04:12 AM
William Hamblen

On 28 Apr 2005 20:39:14 -0700, "surfingnoreen"
wrote:

Okay,now she's rather set on this idea so do you have any suggestions
on where she could buy a cat window seat which would attach outside the
window?

Put a seat on a window box for plants?

Old April 30th 05, 05:59 AM
Rhonda

Yep, I think plywood on metal supports against the house would work
best. Make sure to tilt it slightly so rainwater runs off. You want it
to dry quickly so it doesn't rot.

Ours is enclosed with hardware cloth for cats from the inside, and we
just lay a towel on the plywood and they love it. We remove the towel
and shut the window when it starts raining.

Rhonda

Old April 30th 05, 07:48 AM
John Ross Mc Master

MaryL wrote:

The only cat perches I have seen are designed for inside the home. The
problem with using them outdoors is that the carpet would get soaked with
rain water and probably would *not* dry quickly. However, you could look at
the basic design and probably come up with something very similar for
outdoors. In fact, if you get one of the perches with a solid ledge (not
the hammock style), you could probably use one of the commercial perches but
replace the indoor carpeting with outdoor carpeting (the kind often used
used on steps or porches). Or, you could simply use a flat wood panel and
eliminate the carpeting altogether -- which might be a better option because
it would not get soiled so quickly and could easily be cleaned.

MaryL

I have a sundeck out back. It would be under, oh, $200 or so to
enclose it with screen or hardware cloth. You have my brain working.
Thanks!
Old April 30th 05, 05:06 PM
Rhonda

Wow, they would love that!