Any good & cheap weighing scale?

Old September 1st 05, 10:35 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

"Kiran" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:

: a fish scale...You put the cat butt first into a bag....Then you just
: put the plastic bag loops on the hook and hold up the fish scale...

Thanks but I need something tame and mundane. As she's likely to try to
jump out or grab something with her paws, I would rather avoid hooks
and other pointed or sharp objects.

If you can't afford a Tanita 1583, here's a pretty good and inexpensive
Health-o-Meter Infant -Baby-Toddler beam scale.

http://tinyurl.com/dhswx

Phil, isn't a beam type of scale rather awkward to operate with a
squirming cat?
-mhd

Not really. The cat shouldn't be squirming because there's no need to even
touch the cat. Condition the cat to jump on the scale by herself.. The
first day you have the scale, don't try to force the cat onto it. Let her
sniff and investigate it on her own in her own time- like she investigates
every other new thing you bring home. After she becomes familiar with the
scale, say 'wanna treat, wanna treat' and toss a few treats on it- do this a
few times. Make her associate only good things with the scale- never force
her or try to hold her on it. After a day or two, she'll jump on the scale
on her own when she see the treats and hears you say 'wanna treat'.

Here're a couple of pictures of two of my cats on the scale- its a digital-
but the technique applies equally well for a beam scale. You might need an
extra minute or two when using a beam scale, so, after the first treat, let
her wait a bit for the next one. That should give you enough time to get a
measurement.

http://www.maxshouse.com/album/Titi-on-scale.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/weighing_a_cat_made_easy.htm

Phil

Old September 1st 05, 11:45 PM
223rem

Phil P. wrote:

http://www.maxshouse.com/album/Titi-on-scale.jpg

The measurement is inaccurate as her tail is resting on the floor!
Old September 2nd 05, 12:08 AM
Upscale

"223rem" wrote in message
http://www.maxshouse.com/album/Titi-on-scale.jpg

The measurement is inaccurate as her tail is resting on the floor!

And I'm guessing he forgot to take into account the fleas who are along for
the ride.

Old September 2nd 05, 01:41 AM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
It is alleged that Kiran claimed:

I can't afford the premium brands right now, can anybody recommend a
good & cheap scale for weighing a cat?

If you only care down to the pound or half-pound, just hold the cat and
step onto your bathroom scale and measure. Then put the cat down on
the floor and weigh just yourself. The difference is the cat's weight.

If you want down to ounces, I don't have an answer.

I have an answer. Get a scale that weighs down to ounces! I have seen
bathroom scales heavily discounted, digital, that weigh to .2 to even
..1 pounds! .1 pounds is less than 2 ounces, that is, 1/10th of a pound.
Don't know how accurate, but I would guess they should be good to 1/2 a
pound. Some cheap ones are accurate; some are not that I have tried
out. THe cheap 0.1 pounds is probably asking too much if dirt cheap.

Old September 2nd 05, 01:45 AM

"Phil P." wrote:

After a day or two, she'll jump on the scale
on her own when she see the treats and hears you say 'wanna treat'.

Not my guys. They would immediately learn that it is a table to eat
off of :-)

-mhd
Old September 2nd 05, 01:58 AM

Kiran wrote:
I can't afford the premium brands right now, can anybody recommend a
good & cheap scale for weighing a cat?

If you look on eBay, you can find postal scales that weigh to 5 grams
or 0.1 ounces for around $20 including shipping. They have a HOLD
button. So if you get the cat on the scale, using treats, hit the HOLD
button and you can see the weight later. Most likely the cat's butt
will be in the way while she is on the scale. You can also place a
large tray, hit the TARE button, then the HOLD button for the same
effect. These scales do 36 to 50 pounds so your 4.5 pound cat is not a
problem. I have a scientific scale that does 5 pounds but is not much
better than 0.1 ounces or 2 grams.

Or if you look in office supply stores, they have postal scales for
around $30. This might be a better option so you can see what you are
getting. Some are the spring type. I think the digital will be better
because of the TARE and HOLD buttons and digital is pretty accurate.

Also since it's postal, they really should at least get down to the 1
ounce level which should suffice for your immediate needs. A postal
scale that does not do 1 ounce bins accurately is going to be a major
problem with the post office returning packages.

I think this is an excellent alternative to the $130 scales as I may
have mentioned before.

In fact, I think I will get one too.

I think I discussed this all with Phil P. in another thread. Pay
attention

Old September 2nd 05, 02:06 AM
John Doe

troll

From: "Phil P." phil maxshouse.com
Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Any good & cheap weighing scale?
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:54:11 -0400

"John Doe" jdoe usenet.love.invalid wrote in message
You put the cat butt first into a bag. Always remove or place a
cat butt first.

Then you just put the plastic bag loops on the hook and hold up
the fish scale with the cat underneath.

Put a cat in a plastic bag and hang if from a hook??? Are you a stark
raving lunatic or just a complete moron???

I don't think I even have to tell the OP to disregard your utterly asinine
suggestion.

Congratulations! You just became the new village idiot.

Old September 2nd 05, 02:06 AM
John Doe

troll

From: Juls checksig none.com
Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:50:41 GMT

In article tLydnftfNL0ouYreRVn-rg giganews.com, "Phil P."
phil maxshouse.com wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenet.love.invalid wrote in message
You put the cat butt first into a bag. Always remove or place a
cat butt first.

Then you just put the plastic bag loops on the hook and hold up
the fish scale with the cat underneath.

Put a cat in a plastic bag and hang if from a hook??? Are you a stark
raving lunatic or just a complete moron???

I don't think I even have to tell the OP to disregard your utterly asinine
suggestion.

Congratulations! You just became the new village idiot.

Apparently alt.troll is missing theirs.

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Old September 2nd 05, 03:26 AM
Phil P.

wrote in message
ups.com...

.1 pounds is less than 2 ounces, that is, 1/10th of a pound.

So that's what ".1 pounds" means! LOL!

Old September 2nd 05, 03:27 AM
Phil P.

"Juls" wrote in message
In article , "Phil P."
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
You put the cat butt first into a bag. Always remove or place a
cat butt first.

Then you just put the plastic bag loops on the hook and hold up
the fish scale with the cat underneath.

Put a cat in a plastic bag and hang if from a hook??? Are you a stark
raving lunatic or just a complete moron???

I don't think I even have to tell the OP to disregard your utterly

asinine
suggestion.

Congratulations! You just became the new village idiot.

Apparently alt.troll is missing theirs.

Sadly, he's not a troll- he really is an idiot. When he was a baby, I think
his parents weighed him in a plastic bag and cut off the oxygen supply to
his brain killing half of it.