Kitten with terrible odor

Old November 29th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Kitten with terrible odor

Sherry wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:37 pm, MLB wrote:
Sherry wrote:
Hi all, I am copying a post that I just made on the health+behav
group, just for the sake of speed and to
keep from crossposting. I wanted to get some feedback from you all
too, I'm very curious about this
and would like to know if anyone else has ever dealt with such a
smelly cat. Thanks.
(copied post)
First, please don't tell me to "see a vet'', because I'm going to as
soon as it can be scheduled on Monday. I'm basically just asking
whether anyone else has had a cat with this problem.
History: She strayed up here probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. She's around
six months old. She was thin, but no
apparent health issues, no goopy eyes, etc. I got her spayed and got
her shots and have intended to find her a home, but you all know how
that goes. Not easy, because she *hates* the outdoors and must be
homed as an indoor cat.
She's very playful. She eats well. Her coat looks good. Her little
sides have filled out nicely. But, she has this *horrible* odor. Most
of it is coming
from her mouth. Her teeth look great, to me; and IMO she's a little
young to have tooth decay anyway.
The odor really smells like what I would think necrotic tissue smells
like. Now I'm worried she's infected with
FIP or something equally awful, and her chest cavity is full of
necrotic fluid. I can really think up some
awful diagnoses when I set my mind to it.
On the other hand, I'm hopeful the smell is the result of a poor diet
and starvation before I got her. But I suspect,
really, that good food and good care would have taken care of that in
6 weeks time already. I'm also assuming
the ELISA test for FeLV was negative, since she was vaccinated for
it,
but I didn't think to ask. I just dropped her
off for the vetting and picked her back up. This ain't my first stray
cat.
So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat
that
smelled really bad?
Thanks
Sherry
Princess (Siamese RB 16) developed very bad breath almost overnight. When it

didn't improve, I took her to TED. He found two teeth had gum line
decay. I had never been able to see the decay. Her teeth looked good
to me but stained a little. When the teeth were removed, she became her
old sweet self.

I also remember when I was ten we took in a stray who had bad breath --
I remember my mother said it was from eating mice.
That was long ago when we didn't take cats to Vets. Best wishes. MLB- Hide quoted text -

You know, that's the first thing I thought about too. That's why I
looked at her teeth. They're shiny
white sharp little kitten teeth, you know what they look like when the
adult teeth first come in.
And I remember what Yoda's mouth smelled like when his teeth got bad.
This is a different smell.
It's not just bad breath. It's a rotten smell. (I am sorry to be so
graphic). The odor kind of
radiates around her; when she first would jump in my lap I thought it
was gas. But it's there
all the time, and so very much more raunchy when she yawns or
something.
I really feel bad that I didn't notice it that much. I haven't really
let her out of the bedroom too much
yet, although I do go in there and play with her when I can.
Thanks a bunch,MLB.

Sherry

My dog, Rex (RB 18) got impacted anal glands and he smelled awful. I
have not had any experience with cats having the problem but I guess it
could happen. Best wishes. MLB
Old November 29th 09, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

MLB kirjoitti:
Sherry wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:37 pm, MLB wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

And the smell of the anal glands might turn up in the mouth when the cat
or dog licks his butt...
But I don't think the anal gland smell is rotten/necrotic as Sherry
describes it for the kitty.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 29th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

MLB wrote:
Sherry wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:37 pm, MLB wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

This brought back an old memory: Rex came over to my chair and placed
his head on my lap wanting petting. I said "Rex, you stink!". Rex
turned around, walked across the room to a far corner and sat down
looking sad. It wasn't a one time thing. After that, if I told him he
stank, he would go to the corner. Rex was a stray who walked into my
house during a heavy rain storm. We had him for fourteen years .MLB
Old November 30th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

MLB wrote:

My dog, Rex (RB 18) got impacted anal glands and he smelled awful. I
have not had any experience with cats having the problem but I guess it
could happen. Best wishes. MLB

Emily had that earlier this year, didn't smell at all.
--
Nik Simpson
Old December 5th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Sherry wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:37 pm, MLB wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

Haven't seen a followup so am fearing the worst. MLB
Old December 5th 09, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Candace

On Dec 4, 6:02*pm, MLB wrote:

Haven't seen a followup so am fearing the worst. *MLB

I wish Sherry would post, too.

Old December 5th 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Candace wrote:
On Dec 4, 6:02 pm, MLB wrote:

Haven't seen a followup so am fearing the worst. MLB

I wish Sherry would post, too.

I hope she isn't sick. Wil purr for her and her furkids. MLB
Old December 5th 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Dec 5, 12:08*am, MLB wrote:
Candace wrote:
On Dec 4, 6:02 pm, MLB wrote:

Haven't seen a followup so am fearing the worst. *MLB

I wish Sherry would post, too.

I hope she isn't sick. *Wil purr for her and her furkids. * MLB

Oh, I am sorry for not updating. I did end up having to cancel the
Wed.
appointment and took her in today.
She had an abscess in the back of her throat, which had already
drained. I had
noticed she didn't stink so bad the last couple of days. I'm guessing
it burst on
the day I posted, because she stunk sooo bad that day.
They had to sedate her, and the vet said it most likely was a thorn
caught in her throat that
caused it, because cats are apt to swallow stickers (grass burrs) when
they pull them out
of their paws or coat. We have stickers terrible, here. This time of
year they are dead,
and we track them in on the carpet on our shoes. She is also wormy.
Could be part of the
smell, too.
Anyway, the diagnosis made perfect sense to me. Except I never noticed
her having trouble eating, which I would think you'd expect.
The little urchin just looks & acts otherwise
terribly healthy and sassy. She still has a bit of a funk about her,
but it's not the rotting-dead-
flesh smell that she had before.

Sherry
Old December 5th 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Sherry wrote:
Anyway, the diagnosis made perfect sense to me. Except I never noticed
her having trouble eating, which I would think you'd expect.
The little urchin just looks & acts otherwise
terribly healthy and sassy. She still has a bit of a funk about her,
but it's not the rotting-dead-
flesh smell that she had before.

That's a relief! I was concerned too about the kitten. You must have
burrs something awful there. At least it wasn't as bad as that other
cat you found with the burr in its throat.
Old December 5th 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:

[...]

I'm so glad to hear the problem has resolved itself! Purrs for the
little one to recover soon and completely.

Having had an abscess in my throat myself, I'm surprised, too, that she
didn't have trouble eating. It became so bad with me I had trouble
swallowing. I was around 13-14 at the time, my parents were out of town
for a couple of days, and when they came home, Mum took me to a doctor
immediately. The doc sent me to the hospital and I had surgery the next
day to lance it. They said I came at the last minute, that it would have
suffocated me if I had come in one day later.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.