Wendell has asthma-advice?

Old November 12th 03, 12:23 AM
Mary

CarliEntin wrote:
WEndell has been my cat for 2 years and he never has contact with
other cats. That pretty much rules out heartworm, right?

I'm not sure, but I think they can come from mosquito bites? In any
case, the first thing the vet wanted to do was Check Cheeky for
heartworms when she presented with the coughing and struggling to
breathe. It cannot hurt.

Old November 12th 03, 12:27 AM
Mary

CarliEntin wrote:
He was only out for a few seconds; I shook him and he came back. I'm
assuming it was fainting; he really might have just been zoned out,
but I've never seen him like that before. It was very very scary.

I bet. My vet told me that a man came to the clinic banging on the
door before they were open one morning and had a limp cat--totally
passed out and BLUE. They put him in an oxygen cage, sort of the kitty
equivalent of an oxygen tent for humans and he revived. It is a very
frightening disease.

They showed me his x-ray and it was filled of little "donuts." They
said it was not a horrible case of asthma, though, that it could be
treated, and the meds seem to have worked well today.

Good. I think it is easily controlled once they are on the right
medication. Taking steps to reduce allergens helps keep the shots to a
minimum. I now take my Cheeks in at her first cough, and she is fine
for three-four months. I want to look into the inhaler, too, as I want
the drug that has the least bad side effects.

Right now he's
sleeping in my armoire, where he's usually not allowed but I made an
exception.

Poor little Wendell. Hope he's feeling better. He is lucky to have
you.

Old November 12th 03, 12:37 AM
Cheryl

In ,
CarliEntin composed with style:
WEndell has been my cat for 2 years and he never has contact with
other cats. That pretty much rules out heartworm, right?

Heartworm is a parasite from mosquitoes but I'm not sure if they have
to ingest them or if the mosquitoes lay eggs in the surface of the
skin and the larvae find their way to the heart via the bloodstream.

Old November 12th 03, 12:46 AM
CarliEntin

WEll, I am feeling very guilty because I have a fairly dusty apartment, but my
neat-freak parents will be happy to hear that I am changing my tune for my
kitty's sake.

Carli
"That's not a bee. That's a bear in a bee costume."