Declawing mentioned in movie "Elf"

Old November 15th 03, 11:23 PM
KellyH

Default Declawing mentioned in movie "Elf"

Hi everyone,

I just got back from seeing the movie Elf. The movie was great, the story
is really cute, and I would recommend the movie for kids and adults.
However, there was a statement in the movie that stuck out like a sore
thumb. When Will Farrell first comes in to his dad's office, the secretary
is on the phone talking to someone, and she says "I've never declawed
kittens. How many of them are there? Eight? Well, bring them by the
trailer." I probably didn't get it word-for-word, but that's basically what
she says. Then she hangs up. This is never explained, never brought up
again. The secretary is not a part-time vet or anything, I have no idea why
she would be declawing kittens. It's a minor character in the movie, and
she's portrayed as a nice person.
WTF was the purpose of that conversation?!?!! The movie is great otherwise,
but this is really bothering me!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 16th 03, 12:13 AM
Iso

Kelly,

Just to recap: Life in the big city is not all sugarplums and candy canes.
His father is a "Scrooge" and his eight-year-old stepbrother doesn't believe
in Santa. Even the snowmen aren't friendly in New York. In fact, they don't
even speak. Worst of all, everyone has forgotten the true meaning of
Christmas. The line in the movie you are referring to is used as one more
identifying characteristic that the city is hard and uncaring, even at the
holidays. Who would think of declawing kittens at a trailer, in the winter?
That's it. You are reading into it too much.