declawing

Old August 13th 03, 02:47 PM
Relish

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
bewtifulfreak wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

"Get a room," is not 4th grade behavior? Name-calling is not 4th
grade behavior? If anyone has been immature in this, it's you;
I've been very level-handed about presenting facts to support my
beliefs, and not stooping to the nastiness you have. And you are
the one who is always on about getting points across, not
me....obviously, you think mutilating a cat is fine, and I don't
expect to convince you otherwise. But when you make stupid claims
or insults trying to divert from the subject, I'm going to mention
it. This is a discussion group, and we were having a discussion
on the subject of declawing, at least until you changed the
subject because you realized you had no basis to support your
point of view. If we are trumpeting, it is because we care about
animals, and hate to see ignorant people harming them for their
own convenience. But I've wasted enough of my time interacting
with the likes of you already. Clearly, you have nothing more to
say to defend your weak point of view, and I've said my piece, so
really there is nothing more to be said.

Ann

Obviously your didn't like being confronting with your racism and
nationalistic biases. I learned all I needed to about you and your
beliefs from your attack on the list of countries I posted. It's
disgusting. You're a bigot. That's not name-calling; that's a fact.
It's ugly and I'm ashamed to be American if you represent us.

Ans the sanctimonious award goes to...

Old August 14th 03, 06:47 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Personally, I hate declawing and don't think it should be done for no
valid reason, but I agree with the above. Sometimes it's necessary. See
here for a valid reason to declaw. With this cat, it was a choice
between declawing him or getting rid of him:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bleys/Dyson1yScrtch.jpg

It was not his first offense, but it was the one that nearly did some
serious damage.

What would *you* do????

Well, if my dog nipped my kid, I wouldn't remove her teeth, I can tell
you that. I would wonder what piece of anatomy my child grabbed to
deserve it. And I wouldn't remove my dog's nails if she accidentally
scratched my kid while playing.

Cats don't scratch for no reason at all. They are even less likely to
harm your child than your dog. But we don't remove a dog's nails and
teeth to protect our kids.

Supervise kids and pets ALWAYS.
Trim kitty's nails for less damage.
SoftPaws if necessary.

Very last resort: rehome to a home with no children.

Declawing is not a viable solution. Whole countries do just fine with
cats and kids without the need for it. Why would we need to?

~kaeli~
Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
If that cell phone was up your a$$, maybe you could
drive a little better!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old August 15th 03, 01:03 AM
Kalyahna

"Katra" wrote in message
Personally, I hate declawing and don't think it should be done for no
valid reason, but I agree with the above. Sometimes it's necessary. See
here for a valid reason to declaw. With this cat, it was a choice
between declawing him or getting rid of him:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bleys/Dyson1yScrtch.jpg

It was not his first offense, but it was the one that nearly did some
serious damage.

What would *you* do????

I don't know about anyone else, but that looks awfully wide and blunt to be
cat claws. I get scratches like those at work all the time, and the ones
that look like those in the picture are from dogs, not cats. *shrugs* Just
doesn't look cat-like, to me. It's always possible that I'm wrong.

Old August 15th 03, 09:07 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Kalyahna" wrote in message
"Katra" wrote in message
Personally, I hate declawing and don't think it should be done for no
valid reason, but I agree with the above. Sometimes it's necessary. See
here for a valid reason to declaw. With this cat, it was a choice
between declawing him or getting rid of him:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bleys/Dyson1yScrtch.jpg

It was not his first offense, but it was the one that nearly did some
serious damage.

What would *you* do????

I don't know about anyone else, but that looks awfully wide and blunt to

be
cat claws. I get scratches like those at work all the time, and the ones
that look like those in the picture are from dogs, not cats. *shrugs* Just
doesn't look cat-like, to me. It's always possible that I'm wrong.

yes just looked again... see what you mean, did the parent see the cat do
it?