Food translation?

Old October 19th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Food translation?

wrote in message

Dating a Cajun is *NOT* the same as fine dining in New Orleans.

I can't believe anyone would disagree that it is the best dining in
the US.

The concept of "best", in terms of food, is always, always, **always**
a subjective term. How can it not be?

If someone doesn't like New Orleans cuisine, then they don't like it.
That says far more about the person who's expressing a preference than
it does about the cuisine.

But if they say it's "not so great" or "overrated", just because they
personally don't like it, then they are trying to give a personal
preference more authority than it has.

I know that most people consider asparagus to be a delicacy. But I
don't care how carefully and lovingly it's grown and prepared, to me
it tastes like rotting garbage. It's just gross-tasting, slimy muck
to me. Does that mean that asparagus is overrated?? No, it just means
that I don't like it.

There are many wonderful cuisines in the country (since we're talking
about American cuisines), and New Orleans certainly seems to have some
talented chefs making food that is very popular. But that doesn't mean
that everyone's going to like it.

Just my very subject opinion.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone would like it - I was only
saying that it has been *rated* "best" by food critics around the country.
Everywhere I've traveled, when I have talked to people about New Orleans,
those who have been there mention the fantastic cuisine more than anything
else (including Mardi Gras and the Jazz Fest). And, personally, I've never
found anywhere else that has better (to *me*) food. So, yes, if anyone is
thinking of doing a food tour of the U.S., why *wouldn't* I recommend a
visit to New Orleans? My subjective opinion is that it is the best food in
the U.S. which is why I stated it that way.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Joyce

Old October 19th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 19, 7:08 am, "Stormmee" wrote:
and I might not get charged with any crime if I buy it precooked, Lee...
there is a law or commandment that disallows my gravyGranby wrote in message

Heh. I've used packaged gravy many times. My gravy-making skills
aren't that
hot. DH used to say "Kids, get some of this gravy before it "sets up"
and I
have to sell it to Halliburtons" (a local oil well cementing company)

Sherry

Old October 19th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Looks like scraps, tastes like scraps, smells like fried scraps!!
"jmcquown" wrote in message
jofirey wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message
"Granby" wrote in message
My recipe for sausage gravy isn't so fancy but, here goes. Come to
think of it, it may be a blind thing the way I do it but it works.

Brown about 1 pound of sausage (sage or hot.)
Reserve about 1/4 cup of the drippings.

In a large bowl put 6 Tablespoons flour
3 cups of milk
Wisk until flour is all mixed in.

Add the sausage drippings to a skillet, pour in the milk mixture
and stir until begins to thicken, salt and pepper to taste, add
sausage and continue cooking until desired thickness.

Pour over split biscuits or mashed potatoes.

Ok, now I"m thinking that your 'sausage' isn't the same as our
'sausage'. *Sigh* - never heard of a 'sage' sausage or 'hot' sausage.

Yowie

Oops. Probably part of why biscuits and sausage gravy sound a little
weird.

The sausage referred to is a breakfast sausage made of ground pork
with some seasoning. One brand is pretty popular and comes in
"regular" flavor, or with a heavier amount of sage "Sage" or with
more red pepper "hot". Usually sold in bulk in one pound packages.

Its usually fried in patties for breakfast, or sometimes sold and
cooked in links and fried for breakfast.

Jo

(Once we get this one straight, someone can explain scrapple)

Scrapple... ugh! Pig offal combined with cornmeal and flour into a mush
and
then pan fried. Seems to be a Pennsylvania thing. My family came from PA
but they didn't ever serve me scrapple. The name suggests it all...
scraps.

Jill

Old October 19th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Oct 18, 1:02?pm, wrote:
On Oct 18, 11:19 am, "jmcquown" wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

One day I'm going to *have* to do a culinary tour of the USA,
although no matter what, I am *not* sucking the yellow muck out of
crawdad heads!.

Then be *sure* to go through New Orleans - best cooking in the US
(and, I think, even better than French cooking since we have the
spicy "Cajun" cuisine thrown in). But you don't know what you're
missing if you refuse to suck the heads! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yowie

Sorry, Lori. Dated a Cajun for 8 years and New Orleans food way overrated.
They put more hot than taste into it. (I do love boudin, though.)

On the French side the beignets are nice. But then again so are my Scottish
grandmothers' scones served with clotted cream.

So sorry about Hurricane Katrina. But the be all, end all of cooking is not
Lousiana.

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Dating a Cajun is *NOT* the same as fine dining in New Orleans.

I can't believe anyone would disagree that it is the best dining in
the US. Have any of you ever been to Arnaud's or Brennan's or
Antoine's or Broussard's? These are rated by food critics as the top
restaurants in the country! And any mom and pop restaurant there can
serve better food than most "five star" restaurants anywhere else!

Hugs,

CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

OK how about a foodfight by US regions ;o) Here in New England we have
excellent seafood prepared simply. The joy of a loster roll or New
England Clam Chowder are hard to beat.
Suz&Spicey

Old October 19th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

when I was a kid we had a garbage disposal, one of those industrial jobs, it
took anything, and you sharpened the blades by running an old glass coke
bottle down it... a batch of gravy I made sent it to the bridge, Lee
oups.com...

Old October 19th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

Suz&Spicey- Hide quoted text -

PS
Whoops meant Lobster Rolls. Lost cast members are not and ingredient.
s&s

Old October 19th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:37:03 +1000, Yowie wrote:

What are vinegar peppers?

Small hot peppers, pickled in vinegar. They are usually small enough to
be served whole, and nibbled on as a condiment or side item. Peppers that
are about half the size of your finger, or smaller, are commonly pickled
whole; larger ones are usually sliced up into rings before being pickled,
and are more likely to be used in sandwiches than the whole peppers. The
flavor varies from mildly hot to extremely hot, depending upon which
variety of pepper was used. "Banana peppers" have a pale yellow-green
color and a mild flavor, mild enough to eat the whole pepper with one
bite. Jalapeños are hotter, enough so that I would recommend eating them
only in nibbles. Eating a jalapeño whole, if you aren't acclimated to
hot peppers, can be an unpleasant experience. Varieties hotter than the
jalapeño are commonly used in sauces, not eaten whole.

--
John F. Eldredge --

Old October 19th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

Yum! Sounds wonderful, especially when you're landlocked like us!
I think what you said "prepared simply" is the key thing to good food.
I don't like most "gourmet" food and wouldn't take the time to prepare
it. It's
wonderful to try new things (my Cajun friend introduced me to "Dirty
Rice",
I'd never heard of it and love it)
But all in all, I like food prepared simply with very little "messing"
with
it, the best. Especially seafood.
Traditional food for us is basically southern cooking. This is a big
beef state.
I don't touch beef or fried things anymore, so that really limits me
in most
"home cooking cafe" type restaurants!

Sherry

Old October 19th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Stormmee" wrote in message
it is a fabulous place for a visit but even at it heyday I wouldn't live
there, I would get too bored too quick, my aunt lived there most of my
life.
Lee

I'm not understanding why people are saying all the food there is the same.
I see variety from a simple dish like "Red Beans and Rice (with either pork
sausage, hot sausage, or pickled pork)", to a more complex "File Gumbo".
Then there's the simple "po' boys" - fried shrimp, or fried oyster, or roast
beef with gravy (BTW what the rest of the US calls "French bread" is more
like hot dog buns, not real "French bread") to "Muffulettas". Dinners vary
from something with seafood like "Crawfish Etoufree" or "Crawfish Bisque" or
"Jambalaya" to something like "Honey Roasted Duck". Desserts vary from a
fancy "Bananas Foster" to (mostly eaten at breakfast or brunch) "beignets",
or our famous "King Cakes".

Here are some of the more famous food dishes created in New Orleans and
southern Louisiana (and some food terms defined) - they seem very varied to
me:

Andouille (ahn doo' e) - A spicy pork sausage used in gumbo, jambalaya or
with red beans and rice

Beignet (ben yay') - Lighter than a doughnut, and square (no holes),
sprinkled with powdered sugar

Bisque (Bisk) - A thick creamy spicy soup served with crawfish, oysters, or
shrimp (fantastic with mud bugs!)

Boudin (boo dan') - Hot, spicy pork mixed with onions, cooked rice, herbs.
Two types: boudin blanc is pork and rice, boudin rouge is a blood sausage

Bread Pudding - Custard baked french bread - often served with raisins and
rum sauce

Cafe au Lait (caf ay' oh lay') Coffee served with steamed milk. Chicory
based coffee is often used.

Calas - Sweet fried rice cakes

Court Bouillon (coo' boo yon) A rich, spicy fish soup

Crawfish (craw' fish) - Spicy fresh water shell fish, also known as
"mudbugs" from the bayous - Bisque / Etouffee / Pie

Creme Caramel - A glazed custard

Dirty Rice - Pan-fried rice cooked with green peppers, onions, celery,
stock and giblets

Eggs Sardou - Poached egg served with artichoke hearts, and hollandaise
sauce

Etouffee' (ay' too fay) - "Smothered" with a dark roux (tomato-based sauce)
of seasoned vegetables, poured over rice--usually served with Crawfish

File' (fee' lay) - Ground sassafras leaves used to season gumbo and other
dishes

Grillades (gree' yads) - Thin slices of beef served with a tomato roux

Gumbo (Gum bow) - Thick file' soup stock served with rice, duck, chicken,
okra, shrimp, crabs (See New Orleans Gumbo recipe--gotta try it!)

Jambalaya (Jum' ba lie' ya) - Rice based dish with just about everything
thrown in! Poultry, tomatoes and cooked rice, ham, shrimp, chicken, celery,
onions & and just about every seasoning. (See New Orleans recipes for a
great one!)

King Cake - Extra-large oval doughnut pastry dusted with colored candied
sugar and often filled with cream cheese, apple filling, etc. A plastic baby
doll is hidden inside the cake--the lucky person who gets the piece of cake
with the doll inside buys the kingcake for the next party throughout the
Mardi Gras season!

Mirliton (Mirl' a tawn) - Pear-shaped vegetable, cooked like squash and
stuffed with ham, shrimp and spicy dressing

Muffuletta (Muf' a lotta) and a lotta it is! - Super-large, round, fat
sandwich filled with salami-type meats, mozzarella cheese, pickles, and
olive salad

Pain Perdu (Pan pair do) - French bread served in similar fashion to french
toast

Plantain (plan' ten) - Vegetable banana side dish--cooked like candied yams,
served wih meats; sometimes for breakfast (great!)

Po-Boys - French Bread sandwich split open and served with oysters, shrimp,
ham, roast beef and gravy, soft shelled crabs-- the list goes on....
"Dressed" means using lettuce, tomato, and mayonaise on the sandwich (see
above).

Praline (Praw leen') - Brown sugar, pecan-filled, candy patty. (Very sweet
and so delicious you can't eat just one! )

Red Beans and Rice - Monday night tradition in New Orleans--Kidney beans
served with rice, seasonings, spices and chunks of hot sausage

Remoulade Sauce (Rum a laud) - Spicy mustard based cocktail sauce

Sauce Piquante (Sauce pee kont) - Spicy red gravy or sauce

Shrimp Creole - Shrimp dish served with a garlic, onion, bell pepper and
tomato sauce

Tasso - Smoked red pepper ham

Trout Meuniere (trout men-yare) - Trout served with a rich butter sauce

Geez - now I'm hungry and 300 miles away from my home town cooking!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 December 1st 05 04:05 AM
Can our Finnish friends help me with a translation? Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 5 July 15th 05 11:59 AM
Cat Translation Dictionary Richard Miller Cat anecdotes 0 May 12th 05 06:38 PM
Translation - cat to hoomin Shirley Cat anecdotes 2 February 20th 05 07:58 PM
Food translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 0 November 22nd 04 05:26 AM