Baby Kitten - 4 Days Old- Need help on how to care for it

Old December 19th 04, 06:34 PM
SW4747

Default Baby Kitten - 4 Days Old- Need help on how to care for it

Well, four years later and I still have the little guy, except he's no
so little anymore. He has grown to 22 pounds and his a great cat. He
gets along great with my other two cats and the little dog we added to
the family.

Sep 1 2000, 7:11 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.rescue
From: "Kelly" - Find messages by this author

Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 02:10:07 GMT

1. I have 2 -1 year old cats now, should I allow contact?

I would keep them seperate for now. Better safe than sorry, wait until

the
kitten is older and has a complete health check up.

2. I plan to go to the vet tomorrow with squeaky. What can the vet do?

Is
it to early for vaccinations?

Yes much too early for vaccinations. The vet will probably weigh the

kitten
to make sure it's growing properly, and give it a general health exam.

3. What kind of specific care does squeaky need, besides the obvious
feeding?

Keep the kitten warm. I find the best thing is a heating pad set on

LOW,
placed underneath a towel. Make sure there's a spot the kitten can go

with
no heating pad if it gets too warm. Feed him every two hours, day and

night
until he's about a week old. Then feed him every two hours during the

day,
and every four hours during the night until he's about two weeks old.

Then
every two hours during the day, and once between 11pm and 8am. You can

then
decrease the two hour thing slowly at around 3-4 weeks old. He should

be
fed a Kitten Replacement Milk, not regular milk. It's good to give him

water bottle or a stuffed animal to cuddle up with as well. Gently

handle
and pet him often as well.

Another thing you must do, is with a moist cotton ball, pass it gently

over
his genital area. This will stimulate him to poop and pee. Do this

after
each feeding, as it imitates the mothers licking. Kittens this young

can't
defecatate on their own and need stimulating from the mother, or in

this
case, you.

Kelly

Old December 19th 04, 08:12 PM
Mary

"SW4747" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, four years later and I still have the little guy, except he's no
so little anymore. He has grown to 22 pounds and his a great cat. He
gets along great with my other two cats and the little dog we added to
the family.

Well that is great to hear!!

Sep 1 2000, 7:11 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.rescue

Old December 20th 04, 09:31 PM
Sharon Talbert

Always good, to hear a happy follow-up tail.

Sharon Talbert
Campus Cats

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.rescue