Opinions on litter?

Old November 23rd 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet

Default Opinions on litter?

I was using Fresh Step, and found that there was little or no odor and it
was easy to clean. Tried a corn-based one, but didn't like the smell. Went
back to Fresh Step. Tried Arm & Hammer, but there was distinct Eau de Cat
Box in the house and I found it very hard to scoop: it tended to form a wet,
gooey mass that stuck to the sides and bottom of the box and was hard to get
off.

I just laboriously scraped all of that stuff off of the box, scrubbed it
out, and refilled with Fresh Step.

I'd love to find something cheaper that worked as well, but after the Arm&
Hammer fiasco I'm reluctant to experiment! I almost bought a bag of Fresh
Step Crystals yesterday, but the thought of the cat pee-imbued crystals
staying in the box for weeks was not appealing when compared to scooping and
removing the clumps.

Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

Old November 23rd 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
Janet wrote:
[...]

I've been using the house brand from Petsmart. Exquisicat Clump unscented.
It clumps well, doesn't stick to the box, absorbs the cat smell and
can be had on sale for ~$10-$12 for a large tub... 28Lbs. Lasts a
couple of months with one cat.

The cat seems to like it, I just scoop the clumps into the trash
when it needs it. The only way things could be simpler would be
if the clumps were somehow self-vanishing.
Old November 23rd 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Chris[_4_]

We use Scoop Away. We can find it in our local "dollar" store, it is a big
box for $5.00. Sometimes we will cut it with another brand on sale that
week, like Tidy Cat. We are pretty happy using this, clumps very well,
odors are concealed and we have six cats (use 3 boxes on two floors of the
home).

Yah, Arm and Hammer is a nightmare, they should stop making the gooey junk.

Old November 23rd 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"Janet" wrote:

Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

Where do you buy your Fresh Step?

I get Fresh Step at BJ's for something like $14 for a 40# bucket. I'd
guess Sam's, Costco, or similar discount stores would be similar.

Old November 23rd 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
news[_2_]

"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

Feline Pine is far and away the best cat litter ever. It works well for
controlling odor, smells nice, the cats dig it (haha) and it's easy to
scoop. I'm not sure how it compares to other litters in cost, but it's not
expensive. Giant sells a house brand of pine pellet litter and I buy it
sometimes, it does not control odor as well but it's still better than
anything else.

Old November 23rd 08, 09:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 23, 1:49*am, "news" wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message

[...]

anything else.- Hide quoted text -

Is it safe to say that the big bags of litter are NEVER clumping? Why
is that? The Fresh Step and Scoop Away at BJ's are the best value,
but the big bag is always there at a MUCH better price. Why can't
they put scoopable (clumping) litter in the bag, so you aren't paying
for the package?

Also, has anybody used BJ's 'house brand' Berkley & Jensen? I think
they have a scoopable (clumping) litter, IIRC. Anybody?