Cat suddenly waking us up

Old October 23rd 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Talker

Default Cat suddenly waking us up

Twitch is a 3 year old foundling. She was an outside cat who adopted us
over more than a year long procedure. She started out showing up
occasionally, then every day. We fed her because she looked starved.
She wouldn't let us near her, but for a while she hung out. She lived
out outside and allowed us to feed her and build her a cat house to live
in. After several months she allowed us to pet her and sit with her.
She didn't exhibit any signs of wanting to come in, until winter. Even
then she prefered her heated bed. We worked on getting her to come in
until finally during the coldest part of the winter she starting come
in.

Finally, last winter we coaxed her into coming inside at night and
staying outside during the day. Now mostly she stays inside even when
we go to work and just goes out for periodic quick trips of an hour or
so. During the night she tends to sleep quietly on one of her trusty
perches and doesn't bother us until we get up. She waits to be fed and
then goes out for a while. Normally she comes back in after a few
minutes to an hour. When we leave for work she used to go out and stay
but as I said now she mostly just curls up and sleeps till we get home,
though there are days when she goes out and disappears. When we come
home she is waiting in one of the deck chairs and comes in. Sometimes
she might go back out for a while or she may stay in. But she has
gotten where she always stays in for the night.

Over the weekend, things changed. About 3AM to 5AM she gets very
insistent to go out. VERY INSISTENT. The problem is as soon as you let
her out she wants right back in. If you let her in she wants right back
out. When she does go out she stands on the doorstep and cry out like
she wants back in, but if you open the door she runs down to the bottom
of the steps and waits till you close the door then runs back up to the
top and cries. If you go out she runs up like she is happen to see you.
If you pick her up shes wants back down. Then she runs away alternating
between running away and rubbibg your legs. She acts sometimes like she
wants you yo follow her.

Finally, she comes back in for a while and up until we go to work she
runs through this routine several times. When we leave for work she is
INSISTENT about staying outside instead of inside. Then when we come
home she goes back to being her old self until the next morning.

She just had her physical and was in excellent heath. She is fixed (we
think). The vet says she has the scar and of course the fact she hasn't
shown up pregnant in almost two years as evidence. Anyway, it's not
like she's in heat.

We are at our wits end which is NOT being helped b the lack of a good
nights sleep. Anyone have any suggestions.

--
Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law
Old October 23rd 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Have you tried a couple of play sessions just before you go to bed to
tire her out? Can you feed her just before bedtime so she is full and
content?
Old October 23rd 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Yes, I have a suggestion. Since she seems to want you to follow her, do it.
It's possible she might have a litter of kittens out there or maybe she has
rescued a kitten.

Barb

Old October 23rd 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Talker

For those who asked:

Twitch has dry food available for grazing even at night, so she's not
hungry.

I do play with her at night with her lazer pointer and her bird, the same
as always.

She does use a litter box and I haven't noticed any changes there. No
increase / decrease, blood, etc.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in the
nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is possible.

If she had a litter or adopted one why would she act this way only in the
morning. At night when I get home she's exactly the way she has always
been right up to going to bed. The change in attitude in only EARLY in the
morning.

I did try following her to see if she really wanted to show me something
but she doesn't actually go anywhere in particular. She just sort or
wanders around.

--
Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law
Old October 24th 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man[_2_]

On Oct 23, 4:39*am, Talker wrote:
Twitch is a 3 year old foundling. *She wa...

snip

PUT CAT IN OTHER ROOM SO U CAN SLEEP.

Old October 24th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Talker" wrote in message
[...]

She's trying to tell you something.

I'd get her to a vet soon and ask about having a urine test and maybe some
blood work run. You wouldn't necessarily see any evidence of a problem in
the litterbox as your cat isn't exclusively using it.

Old October 24th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Talker" wrote

If you pick her up shes wants back down. Then she runs away alternating
between running away and rubbibg your legs. She acts sometimes like she
wants you yo follow her.

Obviously she's trying to tell you something. I come up with 2 possibles
here (I don't rule out something medical but can't think what would make it
hit at just this hour if medical like UTI etc).

1- There is another stray, possibly kitten, coming up just at that time.
She may feel like it's her kitten, but by the time she gets outside, it's
gone off elsewhere. If you leave kibble outside, you may find another cat
before much longer. The other may be afraid of her and unaware she wants to
mother it.

2- False pregnancy or false heat. This can be sporadic and if that is it,
it will go away in about a week.

Old October 24th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Talker" wrote :

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in the
nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is possible.

Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?

Old October 24th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Talker" wrote :

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in the
nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is
possible.

Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?

The cat is. As she said at the start.

Old October 24th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cshenk" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Talker" wrote :

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in
the
nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is
possible.

Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?

The cat is. As she said at the start.

Then why is she speculating about whether or not the cat is pregnant?

Waking the sleeping giant....... Mischief Cat anecdotes 8 February 16th 08 05:00 PM
Help, cat waking up babies in the morning [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 August 29th 06 04:06 AM
waking sandra Cat anecdotes 0 February 3rd 06 09:47 AM
Waking up David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 4 December 6th 05 02:19 AM
Waking Up With Mommy CatNipped Cat anecdotes 11 August 2nd 05 08:14 PM