Pilling a cat question

Old November 27th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Default Pilling a cat question

So, since the holiday means I'm running low on the liquid Tramadol, I
pilled her this morning - used peanut butter, it went very well. At
least, the pill went down, with none of the usual drooling that
accompanies the liquid. She still fights me though.

Just now though, same method, didn't go so well. I think I didn't get
the pill down far enough, and when it was clear she wasn't going to
swallow it, I let her try to spit it up - and she spit up mostly bloody
spittle. Ew and OMG!

I have pilled this cat frequently in her 15 years, and there's never
been blood!

Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her
with the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
(that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)

If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?

jmc
Old November 28th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (11/27/2010 5:27 PM):
[...]

Followup: Cat successfully checked - no blood or any visible damage in
her mouth, have no idea where the blood came from. I'll ask the vet on
Monday, and meanwhile just keep an eye on her, and her sleeping places.

Hate it when I have problems medicating her (actually, I hate medicating
her at all!), 'cause I'm never sure how much she actually got, so I'm
afraid to re-dose her, but the corollary is that she'll be uncomfortable
until tomorrow's dose, and worse to medicate after tonight

We both wish she didn't need it, but the Tramodol works well to keep her
comfortable, and she forgives me after she gets the horrid taste out of
her mouth.

jmc
Old November 29th 10, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
SJ

"jmc" wrote in message
Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her
with the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
(that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)

If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?

Followup: Cat successfully checked - no blood or any visible damage in
her mouth, have no idea where the blood came from. I'll ask the vet on
Monday, and meanwhile just keep an eye on her, and her sleeping places.

I used Pill Pockets (sold at petstores). Put the pill in the pocket and put
the pocket in the cat's mouth. Put the pocket in the top of the cat's
mouth; they have a harder time spitting it out and tend to swallow better.

I tried one of those syringe-like pillers; didn't work, and the cat didn't
like the "stick" in her mouth.

The only way to know where the blood came from is an exam from the vet.
There might be an irritation somewhere in the cat's mucosal membranes along
the "swallowing tube" (esophagus) that was pressed against during the cat's
efforts to get rid of the pill. In other words, the pill might have pressed
against something that was already irritated; so I"d get the vet to check
your kitty out. good luck.

Old November 29th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, SJ exclaimed (11/29/2010 1:48 AM):
wrote in message
[...]

My cat won't touch pill pockets, even when empty

Yea, she's due for a regular check anyway. I've been concerned I might
be irritating her esophagus, but the only way to be sure she's getting
her meds is to get stuff well past that rather agile tongue of hers...

jmc
Old November 29th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Have you tried crushing the pill and mixing it in with wet food? If it
doesn't taste too bad she might eat it.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old November 30th 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, ---MIKE--- exclaimed (11/29/2010 8:42 AM):
Have you tried crushing the pill and mixing it in with wet food? If it
doesn't taste too bad she might eat it.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Tramodol is VERY bitter and nasty. She won't even come near her food if
that tiny piece of pill (quarter of an asprin sized pill) is in there.

jmc
Old December 3rd 10, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

I've coated pills in butter before and then follow up with a squirt of
water.

Old December 4th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, Wendy exclaimed (12/3/2010 11:16 AM):
wrote in message
[...]

Been there, done that. Butter, peanut butter, a couple other things.
Squirt of water, well, I forgot that this time. In the past, I have.
It's still a battle, and even the squirt of water sometimes fails.

jmc
Old December 5th 10, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
SJ

The blood thing has to be evaluated by a VET in person. This news group is
no substitute for an exam by the Vet. There could be something else going on
in your cat'shealth.

Old December 6th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

SJ wrote:
The blood thing has to be evaluated by a VET in person. This news
group is no substitute for an exam by the Vet. There could be
something else going on in your cat'shealth.

Many people who post here have run into some of the poor vets that I have
run into most of my life. People who are just out to make as much money as
possible, and coulde care less whether your pet lives or dies. Being faced
with paying hundreds of dollars for nothing, they seek out, in desperation,
some advice from usenet. I sympathize with them, and try to apply my common
sense to their problem as much as I can. Thirty years ago my cat was sick,
and stopped eating. I took her to the vet, and the vet gave her a blood test
for distemper and something else that I can't remember, and charged me $100.
The tests were negative. She died about a week later. They never even
x-rayed her to see if there was some obstruction in her digestive tract. She
may well have died of a hairball, for all I knew. The quality of health care
for animals at that time in California where I lived was no better than the
quality of health care for human beings here in the US today. And, its
getting a lot worse. The only real difference is the human beings will
scream in pain, (which may disturb some people) but the cats suffer
silently.

Pilling Samson (BW) Debra Cat anecdotes 5 April 13th 07 09:32 PM
Pilling Nox Enfilade Cat anecdotes 3 March 29th 06 05:15 AM
Help with pilling a cat meow Cat health & behaviour 10 March 8th 06 11:42 PM
Pilling Envy! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 4 January 4th 06 02:35 AM
Need help pilling cat! Cheryl Cat anecdotes 17 August 30th 03 03:06 AM