Advice please?

Old August 1st 03, 08:20 PM
Dooies B.B

Default Advice please?

Sorry to cross post but I have a bit of a dilema.

My cat is now 15 and a half, and although she still eats, drinks, toilets,
and sleeps, she does little else. I know she has some discomfort from her
lower back, and probably kidney problems. Other than that and her increased
laziness she seems quite happy, purrs when I go to see her, still comes down
stairs when she wants more food (I have 3 cats, and they decided they wanted
to divide themselves so Katie got the upstairs, and Gizmo and betsy the
downstairs), she doesn't come and see me in bed any more and has no desire
to go outside (even though she used to go out days at a time).

I realise this is just old age and everyone slows down, but I'm wondering
whether I should consider taking her to be put down in a month or so rather
than forcing her to go on living when basically she doesn't live the most
active of lives, and its not that full of interest. I try and spend time
with her, but I just wonder if forcing her to live on to the bitter end is
the kindest thing to do.

Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

Old August 1st 03, 08:55 PM
Cathy Friedmann

If she's not actually ill & showing signs of distress, I personally can't
imagine euthanizing her at this point - or in a month's time, rather. Does
she enjoy sunbaths, still? Doe she purr when she's petted? Does she watch
the other cats - at least to some degree, & in general take notice of her
environment?

You mention her lower back (arthritis, maybe?) & possible kidney probs. Has
she been to the vet for a check-up? Has the vet prescribed treatment for
either condition to help her to feel better? If her BUN & creatinine are
elevated - indicating renal failure, here's a great site w/ lots of
practical info:
http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

. ..

Old August 1st 03, 09:20 PM
Dooies B.B

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
"Dooies B.B" wrote in message
. ..

I realise this is just old age and everyone slows down, but I'm

wondering
whether I should consider taking her to be put down in a month or so

rather
than forcing her to go on living when basically she doesn't live the

most
active of lives, and its not that full of interest. I try and spend time
with her, but I just wonder if forcing her to live on to the bitter end

is
the kindest thing to do.

Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

I know cats are not humans, but I think you have to look at it like this:

if
you were her, living her life, would you be happy to keep on living? I
mean, if, as you said, she seems quite happy in general, what makes you
think it would be more merciful to have her put down? As you said,

everyone
slows down in later years, but unless a cat is clearly in unbearable pain
and clearly suffering, not just in a bit of discomfort (do you think most

of
us would want to be euthanized for arthritis?), I don't think there's any
reason not to let them live out their life. And if you're worried about

her
not having enough interest in her life, maybe you could try and find some
toys or other distractions appropriate to an older cat (not that I can

think
of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure others might have suggestions,
and there are so many resources on the web), though quality time with you
and the other cats may be enough for her at this age. Anyway, I think
unless she's suffering, you can comfortably let her go on living out her
life; I'm sure you'll get plenty more input to help you make your

difficult
decision.

All the Best,
Ann

P.S. When you said, "I know she has some discomfort from her lower back,

and
probably kidney problems," did you mean, probably her kidney problems are
giving her some discomfort? Or probably she has kidney problems? Because
if you weren't sure, I was going to say you might want to get her checked
out, but then I realized you might just not be sure of the level of
discomfort. In any case, you could always consult your vet as to how much
they think she is suffering in general, and what they think her quality of
life is; most competent vets will not put a cat down unless they truly
believe it's necessary, and I'm sure they'd be glad to give you their
professional opinion as to her state of well-being (if you can afford it,
that is). I'm sure a vet would also be happy to give you advice as to

ways
of keeping an older cat occupied and interested as well.

I took her to the vets about 8 months ago and due to her drinking lots more
and stuff it was suggested that she did have mild kidney problems, but it
was also suggested that at her age perhaps it would be better not to treat
her.

I just find it difficult to watch her slowly stop existing. I've had her
since I was 5, and I still remember her scaring me silly by playing in the
saucepans and stuff. And now she really rarely moves much.

The problem really for me is just not knowing how much she is suffering.
Shes never really complained, even when I knew she was suffering, and I
don't want to discover she is suffering terribly and only living because of
some basic need to stay alive, and not much else. I mean most people with
mild atheritis would probably not want to be put to sleep, but someone who
is suffering with really bad athertis, hurting everytime they move, might
sometimes wish they could die peacefully.

But thank you for your thoughts

Old August 1st 03, 09:26 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Dooies B.B" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

There is no age limitation (IOW - no upper age limit) for treating chronic
renal failure. In fact, it is a condition that shows up, for the most part,
only in older - elderly cats.

Old August 1st 03, 09:29 PM
Bill

"Dooies B.B" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I agree the cat doesn't seem to be suffering, so there's no reason to put
her down at this point.

If you mean the cat doesn't jump on your bed while you're in it anymore, you
can construct ramps to the bed and other favorite spots to help her get
where she wants. At her age, she probably has arthritis that limits
jumping. You vet may be able to prescribe medication to help her here.

Bill

Old August 1st 03, 09:32 PM
Dooies B.B

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message
If she's not actually ill & showing signs of distress, I personally can't
imagine euthanizing her at this point - or in a month's time, rather.

Does
she enjoy sunbaths, still? Doe she purr when she's petted? Does she

watch
the other cats - at least to some degree, & in general take notice of her
environment?

She doesn't much move to enjoy sunbaths. She avoids the other cats, as she
always has other animals. She hates other pets, unfortunately Gizmo and
Betsy were far better off here, and Katie has adapted well to them existing.
As for the general environment, she certainly isn't taking as much notice as
she used to. She likes to sleep. I'm not saying she doesn't derive some
enjoyment from the environment, but it concerns me that she is progressively
"shutting down", and I genuinely don't believe life can be as fun for her as
it was.

You mention her lower back (arthritis, maybe?) & possible kidney probs.

Has
she been to the vet for a check-up? Has the vet prescribed treatment for
either condition to help her to feel better? If her BUN & creatinine are
elevated - indicating renal failure, here's a great site w/ lots of
practical info:
http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

She has been to the vet about 8 months when some signs of the problems were
showing, it was suggested by the vet that treatment for kidney problems
might not be the best way to go.

Regardless of the choice I make about her life, I do plan to take her to the
vets fairly soon, to once again get her checked over.

I love her to bits, and the thought of going up stairs and not seeing her
there is difficult. However my family had a habit of prolonging animals
suffering in order to gain more time with the pet, and I am very conscious
of not allowing my need to be with an animal overrid an animals best
interest. Hense I'm looking for advice

Thanks for your comments and I'm just taking a look at the link you gave me

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

. ..