FIV Cat Advice Please

Old August 7th 03, 09:30 PM
Simon Bar Sinister

Default FIV Cat Advice Please

Hello…. I have a cat situation that has arisen… I live in a rural area
of NJ. We have a lot of woods and animals that run around (Groundhogs
Deer etc...) My wife and I are both animal lovers and we own 2 pure
bred Ragdoll Cats. They are strictly indoor cats. They are treated
like the king and queen of the world and I cannot even imagine a day
without them.

The area we live in is a prime dumping ground for unwanted animals. In
the 2 years we have been here there have been several cats that we
have seen roaming around that appear to be homeless. One cat in
particular looked very ragged and always just walked by the house and
keep going down the street. I assumed he lived in one of the house
down the road a few blocks. About a week ago I was in my office when I
saw this cat ramming his head into my office window. He looked like he
was emaciated and starving. I feed him a can of food and he purred the
whole time and then slept a while under a tree and split. He then
started showing up every day since. He basically sits at the front
glass door and looks in at my ragdolls and it was all very sad because
you could tell he was sad and neglected etc… We continued to feed him
and he already appears to be gaining weight and basically he has been
hanging under the Japanese Maple tree by my front door. In my 35 years
of owning cats he is one of the nicest cats I have ever come in
contact with. He is just starving for food and for attention. I took a
weeks vacation this week to "relax". Well on Tuesday I said screw it I
am going to take him to the vet that our ragdolls go to. Well I had
them give him a thorough checkup, tests and shots. He appears to have
been fixed so at one point he was "someone's" cat. He has lost all of
his teeth but one. Everyone at the vet loved him and he purred so much
they couldn't even check his heart because the purring was so loud. He
loved the ride in the car and he just seems to genuinely appreciate
all of the help. I bought him a nice jewel collar and he is now
walking around the yard proud as a peacock. My wife and I decided
that we would try and keep him around but we knew he had to be an
outside cat. It wouldn't be fair to our Ragdoll cats to bring an
indoor/outdoor cat into the house and put them at risk of disease etc…

Well I just got a call from the vet and it seems the cat is FIV
positive. I am totally crushed. She said that although passing it to
our cats through human contact was not possible and even though he has
1 tooth left he is a low risk spreader of the disease, however for him
to be outside exposes anyone else's cat to the risk if they attack
him. Also being an outside cat leaves him open to various germs etc…

We are at a loss as to what to do. I DO NOT want to bring him to a
shelter. The vet mentioned that there were FIV colonies and I should
look on the internet but I haven't seen anything like this. Does
anyone have some advice on this? WE WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR THIS CAT!!!.
He is so appreciative I cannot describe it. It is almost human. He
eats a little and then comes back and rubs against you and he will sit
with you for hours and just hang. I know we could continue to feed him
and keep him close to the house but I think his chances on the outside
are not good especially in the winter. I can tell that this last week
has been one of the best in his life, he looks like a different cat in
just one week of our care even outside but it is warm now. In addition
I don't want him to spread it to anyone else's cat although it does
not appear that any of my neighbors have legitimate indoor outdoor
cats. I couldn't see this cat attacking another cat and being that he
literally has one tooth the risk of him biting another cat is
remote…..

Please any advice appreciated this situation is breaking our hearts..
Old August 7th 03, 10:30 PM
Gail

Can you keep him in your basement or a garage (heated)? He sounds lovely
and too nice a cat not to have a home. Also, maybe someone who has no other
cats will take him.
Gail
om...

Old August 7th 03, 10:33 PM
Gail

Please let us know what you decide. This is such a sad story and I hope it
has a happy ending.
Gail

Old August 8th 03, 02:47 AM
MacCandace

Please any advice appreciated this situation is breaking our hearts..

Contact Jonathan Rosenberg at Tabby's Place. It is somewhere in NJ. I believe
it is tabbysplace.org or do a Google search to get the correct url. Jonathan
is a longtime reader of this newsgroup although I don't see him post much
anymore. Tell him you read rpchb and heard about him. He started/directs this
no-kill shelter dedicated to his late cats. Maybe he has FIV cats at his
shelter or at least has some good ideas or contacts for you. Poor kitty, I
hope this has a happy ending. I would be tempted to try to keep him as an
indoor cat if I were you since the risk to your cats is minimal and most cats
can adapt to an indoor life with enough stimulation. But I also certainly
understand your concerns your existing cats and the new kitty's happiness
as well.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

Old August 8th 03, 04:06 AM
SimonBarSinister99

Everyone thank you for the advice... It means a lot to me because I have been a cat lover my whole life and for the most part I can relate better to them than to humans. I just came in from being outside with him since late this afternoon and he is a little freaked ...2 ground hogs were fighting about 75 feet from where I was hanging with him and they squeal really loud..... But for the most part he looks ok and he is trying like a champ. He ate three times today and he really ate good at dinner. and earlier he attempted to run with my daughter as she was doing cartwheels.

Bringing him in is not an option. In the same way that I care about this cat it would be irresponsible of me to expose my ragdolls to the stray cat. My male Ragdoll is a little aggressive and he does play bite with the other ragdoll.

One possibility is I do have a large house styled shed that has a lot of room. My buddy was saying he would come over and make a cut out for him to get in and out, I was thinking that I could train him by making him go through it to get his food. I know dogs use these effectively but I don't think I have ever heard of a cat using one. My concern with this would be another cat cornering him and attacking him inside of it.

Another Option is that I also have a large garage. I have NO problem whatsoever letting him hang in there but I don't know if he would like that. He is used to being outdoors. He just doesn't realize that it could hurt him. Does anyone have an experiences with a cat in the garage?

My mom also gave me the name and number of Popcorn Park Zoo in South Jersey. They evidently have housing for FIV Cats. They are no kill. I know this would be good for him but the selfish part of me would like to keep him. My entire family is attached to him. I think I am going to call the Zoo tomorrow and see if they can help.

Chris wrote:

Damn! I hate those people who just abandon their "pets" like old shoes.

I cannot even begin to think about what I could do to anyone that would hurt a poor defenseless animal in any way. I know if I saw it happening lets just say I would need a good lawyer. I don't dig that at all. If you take a pet you are making an commitment to the animal and you have an obligation to make them part of your family.... I don't know how someone could even live with themselves who would harm an animal mentally or physically. .

Chris also wrote:

But in the end, if you "take care" of him emotionally and physically, I am
sure he will be just as happy clsoe to you even though it is outdoors

He makes me feel like this is the best his life has ever been. I can't explain it but he looks at you like "I need help" and when you help him he truely conveys that he is happy. HE PURRS NONSTOP! He is skinny though and I am just trying to beef him up. I am going to research some vitamins for him and just try to build up his immune system. My wife made the point that even outside what we are doing for him is better than what he had at this same time last week. All I can do is help him out and make him as comfortable as I can.

Gail wrote:
He sounds lovely and too nice a cat not to have a home

He is a great cat. I am a very experienced cat owner and I had owned and played with many cats in the last 30 years, this cat is one of, if not the nicest cat I have ever come across. He doesn't have that cat cockiness. He is dependant and he lets you know it.

It was kind of sad. I have fresh grown catnip growing and my plants are huge. He went over to them and just flopped on one. He kind of half heartly rolled on it but he liked it. He is very cool.... I agree that he needs a nice home. The problem is that most cat lovers already have cats,

I will let you know what is going on and thanks agin for the advice....

"Chris" wrote in message nk.net...
Isn't there a vaccine your 2 indoor cats can get?
"Kuisse0002" wrote in message
Damn! I hate those people who just abandon their "pets" like old shoes.

It is sad dilemma but I'm sure a solution can be found.

OK - you want to keep the cat but want to separate it from the ragdolls It

also
must be an indoor/ outdoor cat.

My suggestion - #1. provide him with good insulated bedding (warm

blankets,
etc) in a covered area (like a shed, etc. where he is also protected from

other
animals and wildlife. I'm thinking maybe have a sort of fencing around.

You get
also place some repellents around to prevent animals from coming to the

area. I
spray vinegar to prevent any possums and other neighbours cats from eating

my
cat's food when she's outside. I believe that if you're good to him,

there's a
good chance, he's not going to wander off and spread this disease. 2.
Introduce him indoors slowly and only when you're around to keep an eye on

them
interacting. You will have to use your discretion on how often and how

long you
want him to interact with your ragdolls and to what danger he poses to

them.
But in the end, if you "take care" of him emotionally and physically, I am

sure
he will be just as happy clsoe to you even though it is outdoors.

I am sorry my reply is not as professional as you would like but its just

suggestion. I know how some pets can just eat you up with the life they

had to
go through caused by some irresponsible humans.

Subject: FIV Cat Advice Please