Declawing: glad I took the time

Old November 2nd 03, 03:18 PM

Default Declawing: glad I took the time

Well, I posted here many months ago regarding a stray that we decided
to spay and keep. She turned into a beautiful cat with a nice shiny
coat.

She's still outside, and she sleeps on the deck in a nice little
shingled house that I built for her. She's a good mouser, and we live
next to a cornfield, o she get alot of hunting in.

People keep telling me I should just make the leap and bring her into
the house.

I had always just assumed that declawing was a "normal" part of owning
an indoor cat. I'm glad a sifted through the many posts and opinions.
I didn't realize that so many people consider it to be a horrible
mutilation. I was also interested to read the data regarding the
effect on behavior (soiling, etc.)

Now I'm not sure what to do. I absolutely will not tolerate
destruction of our carpet or furniture. We already raised two babies
that vomited on or marked with markers everything we own. We finally
have a nice house now, and I won't stand by and watch a cat shred it.

Should we try to find her another home?
We tried before, and failed.
Old November 2nd 03, 03:36 PM
Alison

Hi Mitch,
I'm not quite sure what the problem is . Do you mean to keep her
inside 24/7?. There's no need to do that . If she wants to come in and
out , let her. You can train her to use a scratching post but she will
also scratch outside.
Alison

Old November 2nd 03, 03:57 PM
PawsForThought

[...]

If the choice is mutilating the cat or finding her another home, then
absolutely find her another home. Cutting off body parts to save your
furniture is not the right thing to do by any means. However, if the cat is
properly trained, appropriate scratching posts and surfaces provided, claws
trimmed, etc., then there shouldnt' be a problem having her in your home. I
have a very good article link in my signature for you to read.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Old November 2nd 03, 05:03 PM
MaryL

wrote in message
[...]

Mitch,

I have had indoor-only cats for 40 years. Only one of them was declawed
(and that was done before I adopted her). I also have some very nice
furniture. None of it is damaged on scratched. Some of it is furniture
that goes back to my parents' wedding (literally! -- my grandparents'
wedding gift to my parents) or to my childhood. Some of it is antique
furniture that I bought over the last 35 years, and some of it is relatively
new. You can see some of it if you will look at the links to my cats below
(although I was trying to show off my cats and not my furniture). The point
I am trying to make is that you can have *both* clawed cats *and* nice
furniture. It is not necessary to give up either one. I have found that it
is easy to train a cat to use a scratching post, although you will need to
be vigilant and consistent for the first couple of weeks. You should also
have a selection of scratching posts of different types and textures until
you learn what the cat likes (sisal, carpet, even cardboard -- and possibly
a mounted tree trunk/limb since your cat has been an outdoor cat). Place
the scratching posts in various rooms in the house, and you may even want to
have a good cat tree. All of these can be attractive and do not need to be
"eyesores." An indoor cat probably will throw up a furball occasionally,
but that can be cleaned.

I trained each of mine to use a scratching post by the use of positive
reinforcement and by making it somewhat of a game. I would watch carefully
to see any sign that the cat was going to scratch, then would say "no," and
either go to the scratching post and tap on it while calling my cat or would
even pick up the cat and carry him or her to the post. I would frequently
pull a string up the sides of the post (sometimes with a toy tied to the end
of the string). Sometimes I would even scratch with my own fingernails
until the cat did the same. As soon as the cat would begin to scratch on
the post, I would praise excessively. Some people have found it helpful to
rub catnip into the post, but it has not been helpful in my experience (in
fact, I had one cat that would simply rub his head on the post if it was
embedded with catnip). It never took more than a couple of weeks for my
cats to be completely trained to a scratching post -- it is really almost
"second nature" to them, and the primary need is to find the type of post
that is to their liking. Some cats prefer upright posts (which is what all
of mine like), while some prefer horizontal. Some like sisal (again, I
would say this seems to be the "preferred" substance), while others will
like other surfaces. Make sure that the posts are very sturdy (especially
uprights) because a cat could become frightened and refuse to use it if one
topples as the cat scratches vigorously. Many of the commercial scratching
posts are much too short and lightweight. PetSmart has some very good ones.
It is also a good idea to trim your cat's claws occasionally. Get
good-quality trimmers that are made especially for this function. Some
people even use "soft claws," but I have no experience with them.

Good luck! And thank you for making the decision not to declaw.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old November 2nd 03, 05:50 PM
MaryL

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Sun, 2 Nov 2003 10:03:43 -0600, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER) said,
MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Mary, your cats look like such sweeties. Kudos to you for knowing
that a blind cat is still a cat, and just as functional and lovable
as a sighted cat.

Laura
--
Every silver lining has a cloud around it.

Thanks! They really are sweeties -- and Duffy can do almost everything that
a sighted can can do.

MaryL

Old November 2nd 03, 10:12 PM
Mary

wrote in message
Well, I posted here many months ago regarding a stray that we

decided
to spay and keep. She turned into a beautiful cat with a nice shiny
coat.

First, good for you for not declawing.

Second, if you read that far in this group, you can read a bit
farther and learn how to TRAIN your cat. Every time we get a new
upholstered piece I pin foil to the corners for a couple of weeks,
then
spray one of those citrusy sprays cats hate ( cat repellents,try
Petsmart)
regularly. If I catch them in the act I pick them up, tell them NO,
and place
them by a nice scratching post (of a pad if it's a rug) and take their
little
paws and gently go thought he motion and say "Gooood girl! Good Girl!"
This is a great time to give a treat, too. Then PUT a scratching post
or pad
near the spot. Make sure it has catnip or bells or a toy so your cat
will
prefer it. Cats can learn! Remember, your baby wants to please you.
If the cat tends to scratch something in a room where you often sit,
you can
also keep a water gun or spray bottle there and give her a squirt when
you catch
her in the act.

Don't give your dear cat away. Train her!