Stray cat threatening pet cats...

Old March 25th 04, 08:02 AM
Jason

Default Stray cat threatening pet cats...

Hi,

I am desperetly looking for methods to deter a stray cat from coming near my
home.

I have tried more than a few deterents, including using a water pistol, all
to no avail. In fact, he (I believe the sex is male) didn't run away when
hit with water from the water pistol, but became hostile towards myself.

I would absolutetly love to be able to rescue this animal, however he is
very aggressive and appears to be quite sickly. A quarter of his body lacks
fur, while the rest of his fur coat is quite mangled.

The main problem with this "visitor" is that he attacked one of my pet cats,
which resulted in a visit to the vet. The injuries sustained to my pet cat
were minor, however I felt that she needed to be checked out to ensure that
she didn't aquire any diseases from the stray. (She is fine.) This stray
cat continues to be extremely threatening towards my two pet cats, both of
which are indoor/outdoor cats. (I let them out for a few hours during the
day, if they want, but never overnight -- even before the stray first showed
up.) Now, due to the stray, I have to keep them confined indoors. I hate
having to keep them inside constantly. (I live in a rural area, of course
pet cats want to venture outside!)

I absolutetly dread the thought of having to take a drastic measure against
an animal, but this stray is effecting the quality of life of my two pets.
Unless I can successfully persuade this stray to remain away, I fear I might
have to turn to the rifle -- however, before taking the lethal approach, I'm
willing to try any other "last resort" methods first.

Old March 25th 04, 12:17 PM
Wendy

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Try contacting rescue organizations in your area to find out what options
there are for this guy. They may be able to trap, neuter, get him healthy
and re-home him. Not all cats that appear "wild" outside stay that way when
they have some TLC.

Old March 25th 04, 02:04 PM
Gail

Yes, that or rent a have a heart trap and trap him. YOu can then bring him
to a humane society to see if he can be treated and homed.
Gail

Old March 25th 04, 05:41 PM
M.C. Mullen

| I absolutetly dread the thought of having to take a drastic measure
against
| an animal, but this stray is effecting the quality of life of my two pets.
| Unless I can successfully persuade this stray to remain away, I fear I
might
| have to turn to the rifle -- however, before taking the lethal approach,
I'm
| willing to try any other "last resort" methods first.

A friend of mine had exactly the same problem: She just caught the cat, got
it neutered and let it go again the next morning.
Owning a dog I use this method: I throw a chain at any strange cats that
enter the house. Like dogs they don't like it at all.
Last suggestion: Trap the cat and bring it to a shelter.

HTH

Carola

Old March 25th 04, 05:41 PM
M.C. Mullen

Old March 25th 04, 08:31 PM
Sharon Talbert

Jason, I think the kindest thing to do would be to catch this guy in a
livetrap and get him to a vet. His quality of life does not sound good at
all, from your description, and the chance of his being a carrier of the
lethal FIV virus are fairly high. You might want to know whether he is
carrying the virus and discuss with the vet what that could mean for your
indoor-outdoor cats.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old March 25th 04, 09:22 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 03:02:18 -0500, "Jason"
wrote:

[...]

Rent or borrow a humane trap and trap the poor thing. It probably doesn't know what human kindness is. If it is sick, then the animal control people should deal with this problem.