small NO KILL animal shelter in need of your help to fix up donated building!

Old October 26th 04, 04:40 PM
Barb

Well, North Shore Animal League is .org. so your point is well taken.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old October 26th 04, 04:59 PM
Sunflower

From: (The Last Resort Animal Sanctuary)

A Gmail accounts for a non-profit group? Sounds fishy.

Our Humane Society Yahoo freemail because it's free. ;~) You don't have to
pay to register a domain name. And we basically use Petfinder as our
website, because it's fairly easy for the non techies to maintain, and
again, it's free. We work with lots of small rescues that do the same. One
of the gauges of whether a rescue is "legit" is whether or not they're
registered with Petfinder. You have to have on file your non profit status
and a couple of other things to get a spot there.

FWIW, I could find no listing of The Last Resort Animal Sanctuary on
Petfinder. Either this rescue isn't what it says it is, or it's not
committed to using all available resources in order to find these animals
homes. There is no information about adoption on their website or where the
pets can be seen. A "collector" in other words. According to their website,
it's not been a 501 c3 organization long enough to get to the 5 year review
point. Almost anyone can form a non profit. But, it takes a LOT of work to
maintain that status past that 5 year mark. I very well know the costs
associated with sheltering abandoned animals, but I really don't see any
costs beyond basic housing that the rescue is assuming here. They require a
fee, and that that the animals already be spayed or neutered and up to date
on shots. What's left to spend money on? Food? You can get that free from
local groceries and chain stores.

Old October 26th 04, 04:59 PM
Sunflower

Old October 26th 04, 08:45 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Sunflower"

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
From:
[...]

Very interesting. Thanks for the reply, Sunflower. I guess the post itself is
what threw me. I don't see too many shelters posting in newsgroups asking for
money. It just seems suspect. As you say, anyone can form a non-profit. Or,
anyone can create a website.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old October 26th 04, 08:45 PM
PawsForThought

Old October 26th 04, 08:52 PM
Sherry

Hi Sherry,
GMail is a free account at Google, and pretty untraceable. I don't know, it
just seems weird to me that a rescue facility would be using this type of
account, but who knows.

Lauren

I don't mean to be unkind, and I might be very wrong. But that whole deal just
smacks of "collectors" to me. That picture of wall-to-wall cats is atrocious,
and I just pray those cats aren't kept in those conditions every day.
NOTHING is mentioned on the website about qualifiers to adopt a cat, or fees,
nothing. That's spooky.
Sherry

Sherry

Old October 28th 04, 02:49 AM
Ibai M

I have been involved with the last resort animal shelter for some time
now. I thought I would post a follow up with a few more links that
may help show that the shelter is real and it has been around for
quite some time:

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/PA295.html

http://www.whois.net/whois.cgi2?d=thelastresort.us

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=th...ff&sa=N&tab=wg