small NO KILL animal shelter in need of your help to fix up donated building!

Old October 28th 04, 02:49 AM
Ibai M

I have been involved with the last resort animal shelter for some time
now. I thought I would post a follow up with a few more links that
may help show that the shelter is real and it has been around for
quite some time:

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/PA295.html

http://www.whois.net/whois.cgi2?d=thelastresort.us

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=th...ff&sa=N&tab=wg

hope it helps,

ibai

Old October 28th 04, 03:27 AM
Sherry

I have been involved with the last resort animal shelter for some time
now. I thought I would post a follow up with a few more links that
may help show that the shelter is real and it has been around for
quite some time:

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/PA295.html

http://www.whois.net/whois.cgi2?d=thelastresort.us

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=th...=&ie=UTF-8&c2c

off=1&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wg

hope it helps,

ibai

Thanks for taking time to post the links, but I couldn't find the information I
was curious about. The Petfinder link shows zero adoptable animals and zero
information save your PO Box and phone number. The second link was just a "who
is" for your domain...no real info. there either. The third is just someone's
google history with, again, zero information about your shelter.
The question that I had was, what is your criteria for adopting animals, fees,
etc.? Why do you require a $50 fee PLUS proof of spay/neuter, proof of FeLeuk
testing? It sounds like your shelter only takes animals that are ready to adopt
back out immediately, but there is no information about adoption fees, etc. on
the website.
Also, is your cat room that crowded or was that a temporary situation when the
photo was taken?
Why aren't you taking advantage of Petfinders, and list some animals there?
Sherry

Old October 28th 04, 04:07 AM
The Last Resort Animal Sanctuary

Hi Sherry and Lauren,
I am the Coordinator for The Last Resort Animal Sanctuary, Inc and the
gmail email you see is my personal email address and work email
address and you may contact me there for any follup
questions/concerns.
Our shelter email is however, as the
coordinator, I do a lot of the fundraising, research, and internet
related things and I often use this email.
I posted my original post out of desperation as we have exhausted so
many other means for fundraising.
We are very alarmed at the unwarranted negative responses we have
received. If there were so many concerns, please email them privately
instead of publicly bashing a struggling non-profit. Someone referred
to not being able to find us on Petfinder-- well please look more
closely before publicly stating we are not there-- we are PA 295 on
the site.
As for the comment "That picture of wall-to-wall cats is atrocious,
and I just pray those cats aren't kept in those conditions every day."

That picture was taken in a barn which is over 2000 square feet--
ample room for our cage free, no kill sanctuary!!! In that barn are
many different lofts and levels and plenty of places for the animals
to roam, climb and play. The reason there are so many cats in view is
because they all came down when the food was put out! I think a 2000
square foot area with many levels and room to climb is far more
preferred than the crowded cage conditions many of the big name
shelters use!

As for adoption, you need to speak to our president, Gina Henderson,
at 717 792 3203 or email her at

We have a careful application process for adoption-- as many of our
animals were dumped once already for reasons such as "they peed
outsite the litter box" or "It scratched my furniture" and when we do
adoptions we want to make sure we are adopting that cat and finding it
a home FOR LIFE!!!

Our President, Gina Henderson, will be posting to give you more
information about the shelter.
In the meantime, please be more positive and if you have further
questions, email them privately.
I am very disappointed that I posted here for help and this is what
results.
We were just hoping to expand on our resources for fundraising as we
are thrilled to death when we even get $5 in new donations. Apparently
that was a mistake on our part.

On the positive side, all this trouble for us has resulted in 1
donation from someone-- THANK YOU SO MUCH WHOEVER YOU ARE!!! We truly
appreciate it!
Thank you,

Nicole Newark
Shelter Coordinator

itty (Sherry ) wrote in message ...
Hi Sherry,
GMail is a free account at Google, and pretty untraceable. I don't know, it
just seems weird to me that a rescue facility would be using this type of
account, but who knows.

Lauren

I don't mean to be unkind, and I might be very wrong. But that whole deal just
smacks of "collectors" to me. That picture of wall-to-wall cats is atrocious,
and I just pray those cats aren't kept in those conditions every day.
NOTHING is mentioned on the website about qualifiers to adopt a cat, or fees,
nothing. That's spooky.
Sherry

Sherry

Old October 28th 04, 05:00 AM
Sherry

We are very alarmed at the unwarranted negative responses we have
received. If there were so many concerns, please email them privately
instead of publicly bashing a struggling non-profit.

I appreciate and understand the needs of a struggling shelter. I am affiliated
with a shelter, as are most of the posters here. However, this is a newsgroup
for the purpose of discussion, not for soliciting donations. Try to imagine
what it would be like if every one of us used it for a forum for fundraising
purposes. However, remember it is also a public forum, and any comments "thrown
out", so to speak, are subject to public opinion. I did not see any
"bashing"...what I read were opinions based on the information that was posted.

Someone referred
to not being able to find us on Petfinder-- well please look more
closely before publicly stating we are not there-- we are PA 295 on
the site.

This is the link that was provided:
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/PA295.html
It took me to a page with only your address, phone number. When I clicked on
adoptable pets, none came up. When I clicked on "Happy Tails", no further
information was available. I'd love to see your animals. Then I did a search
for "York New Salem, PA". Your shelter didn't turn up there, either. How do I
access them on Petfinders?

As for the comment "That picture of wall-to-wall cats is atrocious,
and I just pray those cats aren't kept in those conditions every day."

That picture was taken in a barn which is over 2000 square feet--
ample room for our cage free, no kill sanctuary!!! In that barn are
many different lofts and levels and plenty of places for the animals
to roam, climb and play. The reason there are so many cats in view is
because they all came down when the food was put out! I think a 2000
square foot area with many levels and room to climb is far more
preferred than the crowded cage conditions many of the big name
shelters use!

I'm very glad to hear that. But perhaps now you have the perspective of someone
who looks at your website without having visited your shelter.

As for adoption, you need to speak to our president, Gina Henderson,
at 717 792 3203 or email her at
We have a careful application process for adoption-- as many of our
animals were dumped once already for reasons such as "they peed
outsite the litter box" or "It scratched my furniture" and when we do
adoptions we want to make sure we are adopting that cat and finding it
a home FOR LIFE!!!

Still, though, surely you make every attempt to home those cats. I simply don't
understand why your adoption fees seem to be secretive, or at least not even
addressed in any of your website info.

Sherry