Fat cat contest, it's wrong!

Old November 24th 04, 02:59 AM
PawsForThought

From: ospam (Yngver)

Another good one is Catnip, from Tufts University School of Medicine. They
are
similar to Ca****ch, Cornell's newsletter, although in some ways I think they
are actually more accurate.

I got a trial issue of either Catnip or Ca****ch, I honestly can't remember
which. They had an article about laser surgery. A vet was saying how great
laser surgery is for declawing cats. Needless to say, I did not take their
publication.

As for Cat Fancy, I think they don't have much choice but to cater to their
advertisers, as many magazines must to survive. Cats magazine and the Whole
Cat
Journal did not survive financially, so that leaves Cat Fancy and they appear
to be on shaky grounds as well. Your modest subscription fee does not keep a
magazine like that afloat; they need advertising dollars.

I really miss Whole Cat Journal, especially before that new publisher took it
over. They really had some good information in there. I do get Cat Fancy
because it was a gift from my employer. To me, it seems like a magazine geared
towards breeders.

Rene, thanks for letting me know about the fat cat contest. I will tell them
how I feel.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old November 24th 04, 05:03 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 23 Nov 2004 08:04:50p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I just went and subscribed to both. Funny thing is the same guy
answered the phone to takes the subscription orders. I guess
some outfit in FL sells the subscriptions.

-mhd

You'll enjoy Ca****ch. I save some that are of special interest
to me and pass the rest on to friends.

I still haven't read all of those yet!

--
Cheryl
Old November 24th 04, 03:41 PM
Phil P.

"Sherry " wrote in message
I just went and subscribed to both. Funny thing is the same guy
answered the phone to takes the subscription orders. I guess some
outfit in FL sells the subscriptions.

-mhd

You'll enjoy Ca****ch. I save some that are of special interest to me and

pass
the rest on to friends.

I used to keep the subscription forms and a copy of the Cornell Book of Cats
on the table in our adoption center. That's about the best all-around book
on feline care. I tremble at how little adopters know about cats.

Cornell used to publish a book every year or two that was a collection of
Ca****ch issues.

Phil

Old November 24th 04, 05:33 PM
Yngver

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote:

From:
ospam (Yngver)

Another good one is Catnip, from Tufts University School of Medicine. They
are
similar to Ca****ch, Cornell's newsletter, although in some ways I think

they
are actually more accurate.

I got a trial issue of either Catnip or Ca****ch, I honestly can't remember
which. They had an article about laser surgery. A vet was saying how great
laser surgery is for declawing cats. Needless to say, I did not take their
publication.

There have been a few articles about declawing in both newsletters, so I don't
recall which one may have said that. My guess would be Ca****ch, because Tufts
is pretty strongly anti-declaw. However, like a lot of the cat-related media,
they do tend to depict "both sides" of the declawing issue. Obviously you can
always find a vet to quote supporting "last resort" declawing (I've observed
that almost all vets who support declawing say they only support it in cases
where the owner has tried everything else and would otherwise abandon the cat,
yet in practice you sure see a lot of vets doing routine declawing.)
Tufts/Catnip often quotes Dr. Dodman for its articles, however, and of course
he is very much opposed to declawing.

As for Cat Fancy, I think they don't have much choice but to cater to their
advertisers, as many magazines must to survive. Cats magazine and the Whole
Cat
Journal did not survive financially, so that leaves Cat Fancy and they

appear
to be on shaky grounds as well. Your modest subscription fee does not keep a
magazine like that afloat; they need advertising dollars.

I really miss Whole Cat Journal, especially before that new publisher took it
over.

Yes, and I think I paid for about three years worth of issues from the new
publisher, and we've received what, maybe three issues altogether? Basically
she just took everyone's money who had subscribed to the original Journal and
gave us practically nothing in return.

They really had some good information in there. I do get Cat Fancy
because it was a gift from my employer. To me, it seems like a magazine
geared
towards breeders.

I could do without Cat Fancy myself, but I also got something like a five year
subscription as a gift. I do like the pictures of all the beautiful cats. I
wouldn't say it's really geared towards breeders because breeders already know
most of what's covered in the magazine, but I think it's more geared toward
people interested in purchasing purebred cats as pets rather than showing them.
I do like the show schedules because I like to go to cat shows.

I suspect Cat Fancy's philosophy is derived from Dog Fancy. Dog people as a
whole seem interested in learning more about all the different breeds.

Old November 27th 04, 05:56 PM
Barb

I had just been saying how stupid these eating contests are for people, most
of whom are grossly over weight but to do it with cats is cruelty plain and
simple.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old November 27th 04, 08:55 PM
jmc

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:43:27 -0600, all of a sudden, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER exclaimed:

"Yngver" wrote in message
Ashley" wrote:

So are any of these newsletters available on line? Do you have links?

No, their content isn't available online but you can subscribe online:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/publications/catnip/

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/publicresources/cat.htm

Just in time! I'm going to subscribe to both and will also give a gift
subscription to my sister.

MaryL

Ca****ch does appear to be online now:

http://www.ca****chnewsletter.com/

jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.
Old November 27th 04, 10:11 PM
MaryL

news

"Yngver" wrote in message
Ashley" wrote:

So are any of these newsletters available on line? Do you have links?

No, their content isn't available online but you can subscribe online:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/publications/catnip/

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/publicresources/cat.htm

Just in time! I'm going to subscribe to both and will also give a gift
subscription to my sister.

MaryL

Ca****ch does appear to be online now:

http://www.ca****chnewsletter.com/

jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

Thanks for the information. It looks like the online version is free to
subscribers.

MaryL

Old November 29th 04, 07:36 PM
Cat Protector

Playing devil's advocate he What if the contest brings about the
education of reducing weight in cats and the problems they have being
overweight?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Rene" wrote in message
m...
Hello,

I just read the January 2005 issue of Cat Fancy magazine. They have an
article about trimming down your fat cat. Within the article, they
have a contest for the "fattest cat." The three fattest cats will win
cash prizes.

This burns my bisquits--instead of helping cat owners maintain (or
lose) their pet's weight, they are encouraging it! A better contest
would have been to *help* the three biggest cats lose weight.

If you want to write magazine and let them know how you feel, the
email is:

Rene

Old November 30th 04, 02:00 AM
Phil P.