Wellness Cat Food

Old December 16th 04, 07:33 PM
default

Default Wellness Cat Food

I know there has been some discussion on Wellness Brand cat food before, but
I would like to hear people's opinion's on it. I am thinking of switching my
cats to it (they've tested it out - the canned food - and love it!!).
I have one cat with CRF - he is currently on Hills x/d (dry mixed with
canned). He's been eating this for about a year. We have episodes with him
where he will pee outside the box - in fact just had him at the vets last
week for this very problem. They could find nothing medically wrong with
him. It's looking like it's behavioral...We trying to keep logs and such to
see what could be causing this. Anyway, I don't want to get into his
inappropraite unination problems... Do you have any opinions on the harm it
might cause to take him off the x/d and switch him to the Wellness (dry and
canned mixed...I like giving them something a little crunchy to eat - they
have tartar problems).

The other 3 cats are currently on Hills c/d prescription (canned + dry
also). The vets feel this will keep their urinary tracts healthy. They don't
have any medical problems. I think they would love to be switched to the
Wellness. Any experiences with cats who have switched from c/d to Wellness.

Looks like the price is all the same, so that isn't a deciding factor for
me. Of course, the vet doesn't recommend anything but prescription for all
the cats.

Thanks for any info!!

-Janet

Old December 16th 04, 08:15 PM
ceb

"default" wrote in
:

The other 3 cats are currently on Hills c/d prescription (canned + dry
also). The vets feel this will keep their urinary tracts healthy. They
don't have any medical problems. I think they would love to be
switched to the Wellness. Any experiences with cats who have switched
from c/d to Wellness.

Looks like the price is all the same, so that isn't a deciding factor
for me. Of course, the vet doesn't recommend anything but
prescription for all the cats.

If the vet recommends the prescription food, I would feed the prescription
food. My Nickleby had FUS and whenever I would try switching from the c/d
all hell would break loose -- once I reconciled myself to feeding him the
c/d, he remained healthy (and lived to be 17.5 years old).

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead
Old December 16th 04, 08:32 PM
Steve Crane

Default,
Taking a CRF cat and placing it on a non CRF food will
unquestionably shorten the cats life tremendously. There are several
critical factors involved. Phosphorus levels, sodium levels, N3 fatty
acid levels etc. The Wellness products contain 3-10 times as much
phosphorus, substantially more sodium and nowhere near high enough
levels of N3 fatty acids to be considered appropriate for a CRF kitty.
Your veterinarian knows more about the needs of your animal than anyone
here. That is the person to talk to, not internet gossip from people
who have no training whatsoever in small animal clinical nutrition, -
ask her what she thinks of such a move.

Old December 16th 04, 08:35 PM
Steve Crane

Lauren,
You are amazing. Your attempt to insinuate that becaasue the vet
sells the food at her practice that Default should therefore be
suspicious is hilarious. You know damn well that Prescription Diets are
ONLY sold at vets clinics. Feeding a CRF cat a non CRF food will
shorten the lifespan of that kitty by half or more. There are now 2
peer reviewed published Grade 1 Evidence based studies which clearly
illustrate this. Allowing your own mis perceptions to taint your advice
here is dangerous and foolish.

Old December 16th 04, 10:31 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Steve Crane"
Date: 12/16/2004 3:35 PM Ea

Lauren,
You are amazing. Your attempt to insinuate that becaasue the vet
sells the food at her practice that Default should therefore be
suspicious is hilarious. You know damn well that Prescription Diets are
ONLY sold at vets clinics. Feeding a CRF cat a non CRF food will
shorten the lifespan of that kitty by half or more. There are now 2
peer reviewed published Grade 1 Evidence based studies which clearly
illustrate this. Allowing your own mis perceptions to taint your advice
here is dangerous and foolish.

I'm not talking about her CRF kitty, Mr. Sciece Diet salesman, aka Steve Crane.
I'm talking about her other 3 cats who don't have any health problems but yet
the vet wants them on prescription food. That to me seems very suspicious!
Now why would a vet prescribe prescription food for 3 healthy cats? As a sales
rep for Hill's, Steve, do you have an answer? Is that the usual protocol? I
know my vet doesn't prescribe prescription foods for healthy cats as it could
cause a serious imbalance. IMO, her cats have a better chance of urinary tract
health if they were on a better food than Scie Die.

This is from the OP:

"The other 3 cats are currently on Hills c/d prescription (canned + dry
also). The vets feel this will keep their urinary tracts healthy. They
don't have any medical problems.

________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old December 17th 04, 01:04 AM
~*Connie*~

one reason I never liked wellness cat food is they include garlic as an
ingredient. Garlic is harmful to cats

Old December 17th 04, 04:06 AM
Helen

"default" wrote in message
I know there has been some discussion on Wellness Brand cat food before,

but
I would like to hear people's opinion's on it. I am thinking of switching

my
cats to it (they've tested it out - the canned food - and love it!!).
I have one cat with CRF - he is currently on Hills x/d (dry mixed with
canned). He's been eating this for about a year. We have episodes with

him
where he will pee outside the box - in fact just had him at the vets last
week for this very problem. They could find nothing medically wrong with
him. It's looking like it's behavioral...We trying to keep logs and such

see what could be causing this. Anyway, I don't want to get into his
inappropraite unination problems...

You might want to read this though:

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....te_elimination

Do you have any opinions on the harm it
might cause to take him off the x/d and switch him to the Wellness (dry

and
canned mixed...I like giving them something a little crunchy to eat - they
have tartar problems).

Personally I wouldn't feed Wellness, it contains garlic which may cause
Heinz body anaemia, not a risk I'd want to take in a CRF cat:

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm#onion

Helen

Old December 17th 04, 02:31 PM
KellyH

"~*Connie*~" wrote in message
one reason I never liked wellness cat food is they include garlic as an
ingredient. Garlic is harmful to cats

Garlic in extremely huge quantities is harmful to cats, but not the small
amount that's in Wellness. Don't some holistic people use garlic
supplements for their cats?
Every time there's a Wellness ingredients question, my cats get all excited
because I have to go to the pantry and look at a can. They think it's
feeding time!

To the OP: I am a big believer in Wellness food, but with a cat who has
CRF, I would be scared to change foods. I think it would be OK for the cats
on c/d, but I am not a vet. My cat Bartleby had issues with becoming
blocked and once we switched foods, he was fine.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net