Ping David Stevenson!

Old October 16th 03, 06:27 PM
Yoj

Default Ping David Stevenson!

You and I just thought we had tangled with the ultimate Disneymaniacs!
We were wrong. According to an article in my newspaper, there are
people who "spend hours nearly every day at Disneyland; have almost
total recall of the park's history and culture; rabidly collect
memorabilia and preach with intensity on which aspects of today's park
Walt Disney would not have approved." There is more, but you get the
idea.

For those who don't know, a couple of years ago, David was in
California, staying with some bridge-playing friends. I went with them
to Disneyland, where the friends proceeded to drag us from one ride to
another without allowing us time to catch our breath. Last year (I
think it was), David was back, with his wife this time, and they went
again. Those people are crazy, but the people this article describes
are even crazier.

Joy

Old October 16th 03, 07:49 PM
Bev

Yoj wrote:

[...]

Joy, We have been to Disneyland twice, once in LA and once in Orlando,
and the first time was great. The second time was OK but I wouldn't
want to go back again. I can't believe anyone would want to go back
again and again. The crowds were horrific and you had to get there
early in the morning not to join enormous queues. The amount of food
consumed by everyone made me feel ill. As far as going on a lot of
rides, save it for the kids, lol. I remember reading about you and
David racing through the place. Wish I could read the article.

Bev
--
God may have created man before woman but there is always a rough draft
before the masterpiece.
Old October 16th 03, 08:42 PM
Yoj

"Bev" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

[...]

I've lived in Southern California all my life, and I've been to
Disneyland maybe a dozen times, maybe not quite that many. The first
time was shortly after it opened. My two favorite times were when it
was closed to the general public. Once it was only open to employees of
Rockwell International, and I was working at Rocketdyne, which was a
Rockwell Division. The other times, I went with some gay and lesbian
friends on gay night. Both times were lovely, because it wasn't very
crowded at all. I don't like the crowds, but I do like some of the
rides and many of the things there are to see. I'm meeting some
newsgroup friends to go there sometime next month, I think it is. As I
said, I enjoy it occasionally, but at my own pace.

Joy

Old October 16th 03, 08:54 PM
Amelia T. Cat

Yoj wrote:

You and I just thought we had tangled with the ultimate Disneymaniacs!
We were wrong. According to an article in my newspaper, there are
people who "spend hours nearly every day at Disneyland; have almost
total recall of the park's history and culture; rabidly collect
memorabilia and preach with intensity on which aspects of today's park
Walt Disney would not have approved." There is more, but you get the
idea.

Back when I worked at Rockwell ASSD (back in the 80's) there was a guy
in the B-1 Project Management office that went to Disneyland every day.
Yes, every day. At least he claimed it was every day. For lunch. He had
some sort of season pass that gave him unlimited access.

I know that I would go crazy if I visited that place that often.

Old October 16th 03, 10:33 PM

Yoj wrote:

I've lived in Southern California all my life

Why did I think you lived near San Jose???

Joyce
Old October 16th 03, 11:11 PM
Jo Firey

LOL I know two of the worst/best Disneymaniacs. But they have a good excuse as he
is an Imagineer. She just flat loves almost anything Disney.

I've been to Disneyland at least a dozen times. The best times were the first time.
1968 - We were newlyweds and Pirates was fairly new. What a surprise! Once a few
years later when we were still young enough to enjoy the arrive at opening and leave
at midnight closing nonsense. And once when my kids were just the right age, and it
was midweek and drizzling rain. We had the park almost to ourselves which was a
blast. But I haven't been in 15 years and am happy to let the above friends take my
grandkids there for me.

Jo

--
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
insisted we invent houses and discover fire." -- Khiem Tran

Old October 17th 03, 12:14 AM
Yoj

"Amelia T. Cat" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

[...]

It is possible to buy season passes. In fact, the people David and I
went with had them. However, I agree, with you, every day is much too
often.

Joy

Old October 17th 03, 12:14 AM
Yoj

wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

I've lived in Southern California all my life

Why did I think you lived near San Jose???

Joyce

I have no idea. I live about 40 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

Joy

Old October 17th 03, 12:17 AM
Yoj

Speaking of Pirates, have you seen the movie? It is very entertaining,
and contains a few brief scenes that are straight out of the ride. Lots
of fun. Pirates and Haunted Mansion used to be my favorite rides, but
IMO, they ruined Haunted Mansion when they changed it to go with a movie
(Nightmare before Christmas?)

--
Joy

Normal is in the eye of the beholder. -- Whoopie Goldberg

Old October 17th 03, 02:03 AM

Yoj wrote:

Why did I think you lived near San Jose???
Joyce

I have no idea. I live about 40 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

Strange... I somehow got it stuck in my head that you're in my local
area. Don't know how that happened.

I always think of online people in terms of their location, relative
to mine. So for example, when I see a post from you, I think "south"
(but I'm going to have to think "further south" from now on ). When
I see a post from Takayuki, I think "east, 3000 miles, and a little
north". When Waffles' Helen posts, I think *really* far east. And when
Yowie posts, I think waaaaaaaaaaay far southwest. Yet a post from
Britta has me thinking "east" - go figure.

I don't actually "think" these things conciously, it's just kind of a
background orienting that happens. One weird thing that happens is when
I orient someone in my mind as coming from a place that turns out to
be wrong. Even when I find out where they're really from, I often
continue to unconciously imagine them posting from the incorrect place.
Even years after I find out the correct location, I keep imagining their
posts as originating from the place I originally pegged them at.

Hmm, I wonder how long it'll take me to correct yours? It might not be
too difficult, because San Jose and LA are both "south" of me, so it's
just a matter of distance.

Does anyone else do this?

Joyce

Ping Pam S SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 3 September 20th 03 05:37 PM
PING: Jen D Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 9 September 16th 03 12:51 AM
PING: Flippy and Dave Stevenson Tanada Cat anecdotes 3 August 21st 03 12:24 PM
PING: John Blitz Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 4 August 20th 03 08:25 PM