long hair cat - tail got thin over the weekend

Old September 2nd 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
robro

Default long hair cat - tail got thin over the weekend

I have an indoor cat here at the office, he's just over 8 years old.
I've had him since he was 2 weeks old. He's a big, long hair, never
had health issues other than weight. We had to move him out of the
house when he bit my 1 year old. His diet has been purely Innova
reduced fat adult cat food for the past 18 months. It has not helped
his weight, and I measure his food out and provide it over two
servings using the recommended amount on the bag for inactive cats
(0.64 cups/day for 14 lb cat that needs weight loss, this guy is
around 18-19 lbs).

Anyway, he's always had this giant fluffy tail. He did on Friday. I
came into work today and one of my employees asked what was wrong with
his tail. It now looks like it belongs on a short hair cat. It's
thin. There's no fluffy hair. I don't see any hair around the office
that looks like it may have been shed en-masse. It's never done
anything like this before. My first though was nutrition as I realize
it would be better for him to give him a mix of wet/dry. Still, in 3
days that's just strange... and where did the hair go? I'll make a
vet appointment, but figured I'd ask here as well.
Old September 2nd 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
robro

On Sep 2, 12:04 pm, hopitus wrote:
On Sep 2, 7:03 am, robro wrote:

[...]

If the fur is missing *only* from the tail, and not less fur on his
body,
it would flatten my first theory...there is a fungal-type cat disorder
that
will cause major fur loss...but it takes a helluva lot longer than 3
days
to do so....my suspicion is that *someone* did something to him -
especially since you see no fur around the place - like maybe
molesting him by possibly vacuuming only his tail against his will.
I am not trying to be funny; I don't find this the least amusing.
Hating to sound like a cheap detective novel....could it be the
*cleaning personnel* for the office?

Interesting theory, but extremely unlikely. I was the last person out
of the office Friday and the 2nd here today, nobody was in over
the weekend and I'm the cleaning personnel .

I stuck a pic he
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3...pboard5zn3.jpg
it may not look 'bad' to someone who doesn't know him, but
he has ALWAYS had a giant bushy tail, so the tail seen here
is clearly just WRONG. i made a vet appointment for friday
just in case. he's overdue for his shots anyway.
Old September 2nd 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Is it possible he's pulling his own fur out of anxiety? He would most
likely eat the fur, so you would not find it anywhere. Are there any
other thinning or balding patches of fur on his body?

Have the vet do a skin scraping to check for fungus, etc. just to be
sure.

To address your concern of weight, IME, dry "weight-loss" foods just
don't work. I had the best luck with a high-quality canned food.
Here's the story of how my cat lost weight: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/
Old September 3rd 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Judy[_3_]

On Sep 2, 7:03 am, robro wrote:

[...]

Okay, *you* are the "cleaning personnel" so scratch that one. This
other poster may have something here. Kitty could have just licked
(overgroomed) the fur off its tail closest to cat body...and as
suggested,
giant hairball now inside. Tail appears less damaged than I expected
see. Good luck.

The tail appears less damaged than I expected too and I have to agree
hopitus, the tail looks to be "overgroomed" as you say. A giant hairball
could definitely be lurking inside.

A vet check is a good idea. Could be that he's developed an allergy to
something or that he has an issue with his environment.

Good luck! My cat has been chewing the hair off various body parts for 4
years and despite the fact she's been seen by 5 vet's, nothing has changed.

Old September 3rd 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

I'm wondering why the cat was left alone all weekend with no humans around?
I realize the cat bit your one year old but unless it was an all out attack
with teeth and claws like a cat does in a cat fight I don't know why you
banned him to the office. It's more likely over grooming due to stress.

Celeste

Old September 3rd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

"robro" wrote in message

[...]

vet appointment, but figured I'd ask here as well.- Hide quoted text -

First you starve the poor fellow and then you lock him out of the
house alone for an entire weekend and you wonder why he's tearing his
hair out??? Not nice.
Old September 4th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
robro

"robro" wrote in message

[...]

are you people on dope? He was not locked out of the house, he LIVES
at my office full time, has been here for 18 months. There are people
here M-F from 7am until 10pm. He's not starved and the only time he
is alone is over the weekend, and on many weekends I have to come
into the office for a while anyway, and even take the kids with me
sometimes. Stop trying to turn this into some cat abuse thing. The
cat is fine, well taken care of and loved and gets plenty of
attention.
Old September 5th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

If you had given ALL the details it would have helped. You did not say the
cat had been there for 18 months, you just said it was at the office because
it bit your daughter. Lots of cats don't handle a new place well and will
stress out and over groom themselfs. That's what I thought was happening.
I DID NOT SAY YOU ABUSED the cat...........you made that assumption.

Any way you look at it TAKE THE CAT TO THE VETS and find out what's wrong.

Celeste

Old September 5th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, robro exclaimed (9/2/2008 9:03 AM):
[...]

I'm going to agree with the general consensus of fur-mowing due to
anxiety. He's probably very lonely on Sat and Sun with nobody around.
Can you find a coworker who can take him home on the weekends, so he
doesn't have to be alone? Or have someone visit him over the weekend?
Friday night to Monday morning is a long time for a cat to be alone,
especially *every* weekend.

My cat suddenly took up fur-mowing a section of her belly, for several
months. We were treating it, but I'm not quite sure if the treatments
worked, or she just got over whatever was bothering her.

Good luck.

jmc
Old September 6th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stampir

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think anyone would want to be locked up alone for 48 hours
no matter how nice the office. Also, I know some buildings turn off
the air conditioning on weekends to save on power -- if that's the
case the building could be getting stuffy and hot.