The mission of a cat ...

Old January 20th 17, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

Default The mission of a cat ...

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:28:10 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I doubt anyone here is going to get touchy about it. It was a cute
video.

There's another one out there in which they're doing the same thing with a bowl
of food and a much more contentious catitude, but that's buried somewhere in the
middle of someone's half-hour long compilation and could take me hours to find
again. However, Minnie does sometimes like to sit here and watch them with me,
so if we happen upon it again, I'll post the URL here.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 20th 17, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/19/2017 7:50 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:11:44 -0800, The New Other Guy
wrote:

There are people who THINK they can't do things, but haven't tied in the
last 10 years, and there are (AND always will be) those who bitch and
whine about anything they don't like, so to survive in Usenet, you need
to develop a think skin, and ignore the trolls and a&^holes.

That ESPECIALLY goes in the food group that you're already aware of.

Even GLyN (Gato Loco y Negro) knows THAT.

I know that too. I have been active on Usenet for more than ten years and know
all about trolls and other commonly encountered annoyances, and how to deal with
them. That's one reason I learned to read header info to begin with. ;-)

I don't think Joy - or Jill, who is in that food group and who I know already
looked at that video - are any of those things, so it doesn't hurt to be
considerate, especially since I'm new to this group and would prefer for the
regulars to consider me a welcome addition to this NG and not somebody they'd
just as soon had stayed away.

Absolutely. Until and unless you or any other poster says or does
anything to make me want to killfile you... welcome. You love your
cat Minnie, I can tell that. So hey, keep telling us about her. I love
these kitten stories.

The youngest cat I had was well past kitten stage, Persia was 2 or 3
according to the vet. Buffy is about 7 years old. I've never had a
"kitten".

Gato Loco y Negro - crazy black cat? I didn't take Spanish in school, so most of
my understanding of Spanish came from the Hispanic woman next door, and that's
all been verbal, not in print.

I took Spanish in school and the only things I learned was how to ask
where is the library and where is the bathroom. Neither of those
phrases ever helped me. LOL

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 20th 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:31:01 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

The youngest cat I had was well past kitten stage, Persia was 2 or 3
according to the vet. Buffy is about 7 years old. I've never had a
"kitten".

OMG...if you think adult cats are cute, you're really missing out on something
until you experience one during kittenhood. There's just something about them
that even people who don't like cats can't resist a kitten - they see one and
they just HAVE to go, "Awwww..."

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 20th 17, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/19/2017 10:39 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:31:01 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

The youngest cat I had was well past kitten stage, Persia was 2 or 3
according to the vet. Buffy is about 7 years old. I've never had a
"kitten".

OMG...if you think adult cats are cute, you're really missing out on something
until you experience one during kittenhood. There's just something about them
that even people who don't like cats can't resist a kitten - they see one and
they just HAVE to go, "Awwww..."

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

I never said I didn't say "awwww " when I see a kitten.

Jill

Old January 20th 17, 08:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 1/19/2017 5:55 PM, Bastette wrote:
Joy wrote:

No offense taken. The amount I understand about computers and their ilk
is minute compared to what there is to understand. I frequently refer
to my son or son-in-law for instruction, since they are both software
engineers.

Joy, there's so much information about computers to know and understand,
that the amount I know is also minute compared to what there is to know,
and I've worked in the software industry since the early 80s! You can't
possibly know it all, it's too vast.

Joyce

Right. And I don't want to know it all. I just want to know how to do
what I want to do, when I want to do it. Also, at 81, I don't learn new
things as quickly as I used to, or remember them as well.

joy
Old January 20th 17, 08:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 1/19/2017 6:06 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:28:10 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I doubt anyone here is going to get touchy about it. It was a cute
video.

There's another one out there in which they're doing the same thing with a bowl
of food and a much more contentious catitude, but that's buried somewhere in the
middle of someone's half-hour long compilation and could take me hours to find
again. However, Minnie does sometimes like to sit here and watch them with me,
so if we happen upon it again, I'll post the URL here.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

I have a couple of oval shaped dishes about six or seven inches long
that I alternate for serving the canned food. I chop up the food and
spread it out on the dish. A few times Pickles has wanted only a little
bit, and I've seen them both eating out of the same dish, at opposite
ends of the dish.

Joy

Old January 20th 17, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:21:29 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

On 1/19/2017 10:39 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:31:01 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I've never had a "kitten".

OMG...if you think adult cats are cute, you're really missing out on something
until you experience one during kittenhood. There's just something about them
that even people who don't like cats can't resist a kitten - they see one and
they just HAVE to go, "Awwww..."

I never said I didn't say "awwww " when I see a kitten.

Given what's in the quoted material above, I'm tempted to tell you not to have a
kitten about it - but I wouldn't want you to take that comment the wrong way, so
I'll just point out that I never accused you of saying any such thing grin.

Kittens are the same cuteness we see in adult cats, but on steroids. Even if
everything the kitten does is something you've seen an adult cat do half a
million times before, it's still different, because to the kitten, everything is
new - including you - and whether she's reaching out to bat your cell phone out
of your hand or grabbing for the shoelace you dangle a few inches above her
head, she'll eventually show you she's really even more interested in you than
she is in the object she's reaching for.

American poet Ogden Nash wrote, "The trouble with a kitten is that eventually it
becomes a cat." For those of us who love cats, that's no trouble at all.
Old January 20th 17, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:02:46 -0800, Joy wrote:

I have a couple of oval shaped dishes about six or seven inches long
that I alternate for serving the canned food. I chop up the food and
spread it out on the dish. A few times Pickles has wanted only a little
bit, and I've seen them both eating out of the same dish, at opposite
ends of the dish.

I've seen another video where there are two cats eating out one of those plastic
pet dishes that consists of two round bowls, one for food and one for water, and
they're sliding it back and forth much the same way. One looks like a Siamese
and the other is totally different. At one point a third cat - another Siamese a
bit smaller than the other one - walks up and gets a quick drink from the water
side before rapidly disappearing from the frame as if trying to get out of there
without getting involved what the other two cats are up to.

A friend of mine used to feed her two cats using one of those bowls, putting
half the food in each of the two sides, and keeping a separate bowl nearby for
water. Those two would do pretty much what you described your two doing.

Meanwhile, on the floor below, her two dogs would sit there staring up at them
as if thunderstruck by the sacrilege they were witnessing...

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 20th 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:01:02 -0800, Joy wrote:

Also, at 81, I don't learn new
things as quickly as I used to, or remember them as well.

I'm still a few weeks shy of 59 and I already have that...much to the chagrin of
my cat, who seems to think I'm doing it on purpose just to make her work that
much harder to get me properly trained.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY