I'm so upset

Old May 26th 04, 12:40 AM
KellyH

"Wendy" wrote in message
Last night I saw the people who adopted one of Boots' littermates. They
mentioned that they were just now making arrangements to get "Midnight"
neutered ........... and declawed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snip for space

Am I forgetting anything. I want to make a good, logical (not emotional)
case and hope I can convince them to not do this.

Wendy

For people who argue that they can't train the cat not to scratch, I
recommend Soft Paws. If they are able to trim his nails, they can put them
on. The Soft Paws website also has a lot of info about declawing. I agree,
it's best to remain calm and collected when presenting the declawing info to
them. They sound like the type of people who may be able to be turned
around on it. They probably have no idea what's involved.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old May 27th 04, 12:35 AM
Wendy

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Wendy" wrote in message
[...]

The dh saw the husband outside and stopped to chat. He mentioned that his
wife had said she was considering having the cat declawed and the husband
said NO WAY! Apparently after she was here the other night and I told her to
clip Midnight's claws, they did and he hasn't been a problem since (I knew
he was a good boy). The dh also mentioned that they really need to get him
fixed and if their vet insists on waiting till the cat is 11 mos. old maybe
they could check with other vets in the area, most of whom would recommend
neutering much earlier than that. The dh also made sure that they understood
that declawing is an amputation (they didn't know that). I don't think I
have to worry about Midnight losing his claws.

I don't understand how a vet could talk to people about this procedure
without telling them what it actually is. I suspect a lot of people (who
haven't researched it on their own) figure it's no more serious than having
a toenail removed.

Old May 27th 04, 12:44 AM
Cat Protector

What's a dh? As for getting the cat neutered, if price is an issue I would
check with some of your local rescue organizations. They might have low
cost/spay neuter clinics.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
news

Old May 27th 04, 02:09 AM
Annie Wxill

"Wendy" wrote in message
news .... The dh also mentioned that they really need to get him
fixed and if their vet insists on waiting till the cat is 11 mos. ... The

dh also made sure that they understood
that declawing is an amputation (they didn't know that). ...
I don't understand how a vet could talk to people about this procedure
without telling them what it actually is. I suspect a lot of people (who
haven't researched it on their own) figure it's no more serious than

having
a toenail removed.

Also, I don't understand how a vet could tell someone to wait until the cat
is 11 mos. old before neutering. It sets the owners up for a real hassle if
a male starts spraying or a female comes into heat.
I'd be concerned about taking a cat to this vet for any reason.
You have got to be relieved that the people are willing to learn about cat
care and decided to let the cat keep his claws. Now maybe you could
recommend a vet who can help them with the neutering.
Annie

Old May 27th 04, 03:23 AM

I took in this feral cat, and scratch-training was effortless.
I wonder if they're just looking to throw money at it.

My mom adopted a cat that was already declawed. It's hideous. It
walks around on these stumps as if it still hurts (maybe it does).

It's front paws are so horrible, and every toe is a different length,
and the front paws are half the size of the rear.

What do they charge for this "procedure," because I'm pretty sure I
could do the same job with wire cutters.

Upset cat Mandy Cat health & behaviour 4 January 13th 04 12:49 AM
Cat spraying: got professional help Mary Cat health & behaviour 12 December 8th 03 08:09 AM