Friends again

Old June 19th 05, 07:58 PM
Rebecca Root

Default Friends again

To various people who posted support for my delimna with Sukey and
RIley fighting (after spotting a strange cat outside): thanks for the
tips, and problem is finally resolved.

I went with the strategy that Phil P. pointed me to (from the maxhouse
website). The idea is to keep the cats separated, but maintain sight,
smell, sound and even touch contact possiblity with a screen. Move food
closer and closer to encourage tolerance of proxemity.

This looked perfect, since isolation behind ordinary doors didn't seem
to be progressing toward any resolution. Also I have a sunroom that the
cats love, and I just needed to move a screen door from the outside
door of this room to the door that communicates with the living room.
Did that a week ago, put Sukey in the room and she promptly slashed her
way through the screen. Leaving the glass door open an inch for
communication, I then found a heavy wire shelf that I had cut to fit in
the door, and that made a barrier she couldn't breech, but she remained
a crazed, howling wreck when put in the room. Her constant howing was
freaking Riley, so I modified the plan: during his lock-up time he was
in the sunroom and the cats had contact, during her lock-up time she
was in the guest room. Don't know why she didn't object to that, but
I'm guessing it didn't seem frustrating. (I also dabbled with various
combinations of Felaway, catnip plant, and anti-anxiety drugs, but
Sukey still freaked).

After two days of seeming calm, I did an experimental meet-and-greet on
Thursday. Sukey had completely forgotten the problem, but Riley was
still off. He watched every move she made and acted a few times like
he'd like to start something, so I gave them two more days of
separation. Yesterday I reintroduced them again. Riley was still a
little different around Sukey - not antagonistic, but he wanted to
sniff her a lot. I let them be, and we've had 24 hours of peace. They
both slept with me last night like normal, and all seems well. The only
alteration I'm maintaining is that I'm giving them each their own food
bowl. They used to take turns, but I don't want them to have any excuse
now for jealousy or irritation with each other. The best thing now is
that the wire barrier, which is actually attractive, can be used in my
study to get ventillation from a forbidden balcony.

So all seems well. I have one more decision to make. In a week I go
away for a 10 day vacation. Do I board the cats in separate rooms at my
vets (plan put in place in middle of battle), or do I have their usual
pet-minder come in and feed (they hide from her, but have the luxury of
being at home together). If they started up another battle, she'd never
know it. I'm leaning towards boarding this time, just in case. Anyone
have insight on this question?

Old June 20th 05, 01:05 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 19 Jun 2005 02:58:27p, Rebecca Root wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(news:2005061912582716807%rroot@indracom):

To various people who posted support for my delimna with Sukey
and RIley fighting (after spotting a strange cat outside):
thanks for the tips, and problem is finally resolved.

snip

That's so fantastic! I'm glad you found a resource that's working
for you guys. As for the boarding vs. them staying at home
while you're away, I guess I'd probably play it by ear up until the
time comes closer, but that's a tough call. A week from now could
be a long time for cats who've always been friends, but then again
after what's been going on, it might not be. I wish I could help
more. Can you keep both options open until the time comes?

Another thought is that with 10 days apart from each other *and*
away from home, they might be so happy to see you and to be home
that they will likely forget their tiff after it's over. Good luck
and have a safe trip!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old June 20th 05, 02:00 AM
Brad

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:58:27 -0600, Rebecca Root
wrote:

So all seems well. I have one more decision to make. In a week I go
away for a 10 day vacation. Do I board the cats in separate rooms at my
vets (plan put in place in middle of battle), or do I have their usual
pet-minder come in and feed (they hide from her, but have the luxury of
being at home together). If they started up another battle, she'd never
know it. I'm leaning towards boarding this time, just in case. Anyone
have insight on this question?

Well we don't often get to hear positive results thanks for the good
news.........and on a side note I may be totally off base here but I
believe that many people especially early on confuse Fillup with PhilP
which is an awful think I think if I were PhilP I would seriously
consider a name change. I have seen nothing but help from PhilP but I
dont admittedly read everything.

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old June 20th 05, 02:35 AM
Elle

Rebecca, I'm glad you posted this. My two cats (both adopted in the few
months) have begun playing hard again, with the larger cat (with the mending
broken leg), typically attacking the smaller cat. I hear hissing now and
then. I have started to put one or the other in a separate room for a kind
of time out. I always do this when I'm going to be away for several hours,
too. This has helped. They definitely communicate under the door. But I'm
going to look for some material like you describe to make a custom door
through which they can smell, talk, see, and even touch a bit, too, then try
this for a few days.

They're very good about their food dishes, though. They both eat in the
kitchen now and only interfere with each other if my timing is wrong when I
set the food down. Even then, they're gentle.

Old June 20th 05, 03:03 AM
Rebecca Root

On 2005-06-19 19:35:21 -0600, "Elle" said:

But I'm
going to look for some material like you describe to make a custom door
through which they can smell, talk, see, and even touch a bit, too, then try
this for a few days.

Elle,

Here's the link that Phil P sent me about the introduction method:

http://www.maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

I used a room with a sliding door, so my barrier was one long wire
shelf, 16" X 6.5'. It was really easy to deal with, because I could
just slide the door open the rest of the way and walk in to do food and
litter detail. This website shows some other possibilities for rigging
up the barrier.

Old June 20th 05, 06:52 AM
Phil P.

"Rebecca Root" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad the gate method worked! I use this method for introducing new cats
into the population at the shelter. Works like a charm.

So all seems well. I have one more decision to make. In a week I go
away for a 10 day vacation. Do I board the cats in separate rooms at my
vets (plan put in place in middle of battle), or do I have their usual
pet-minder come in and feed (they hide from her, but have the luxury of
being at home together). If they started up another battle, she'd never
know it. I'm leaning towards boarding this time, just in case. Anyone
have insight on this question?

To avoid the possibility of exacerbating the feud, I would leave them at
home with the gate in place.

The stress and anxiety of boarding and the change of environment and scents
coupled with the stress of re-acclimating to your home and re-establishing
territory or favorite spots- plus smelling different- could severely stress
a healing relationship.

If you feel you must board them- board them *together*. If you separate
them at the vet's office, they might not recognize each other by scent when
joined because they will have both acquired strange and unfamiliar scents.
They may even need to be formally reintroduced.

Boarding, to me, is a last resort. I would rather cancel the trip than
board my cats. But that's me.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old June 20th 05, 10:02 PM
Elle

"Rebecca Root" wrote
snip
Here's the link that Phil P sent me about the introduction method:

http://www.maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

I used a room with a sliding door, so my barrier was one long wire
shelf, 16" X 6.5'. It was really easy to deal with, because I could
just slide the door open the rest of the way and walk in to do food and
litter detail. This website shows some other possibilities for rigging
up the barrier.

Thanks Rebecca and Phil P.

A neighbor of mine had tossed a huge roll of baling wire fencing, four-foot
high, yesterday, and he said I could have it. It's extremely flexible. Right
now I have a section that extends about a foot beyond each side of the
doorway. A couple of weighted, former buckets of kitty litter keep it in
place. I can pretty easily get in and out. I cut off the sharp ends where I
cut the baling wire. So far so good for just a quick, inexpensive temporary
fix... The cats don't hiss but chatter happily through it. I'll try the
timeframe Phil P.'s site suggests.

New friends (and catching up after a long time away) Dragon Cat anecdotes 8 April 27th 05 01:33 PM
Thanks for our "small-brained" friends [email protected] Cat anecdotes 4 November 19th 04 02:42 AM
Visiting your friends cats O J Cat anecdotes 17 September 29th 04 04:41 PM
Best Friends - OT O J Cat anecdotes 33 September 12th 04 09:03 PM
Friends for 2 years now enemies! Ross Irvine Cat health & behaviour 26 February 17th 04 04:48 PM