Question on cooked chicken diet for cats with allergic skin conditions

Old November 14th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Question on cooked chicken diet for cats with allergic skin conditions

As some of you know, my long haired cat has some sort of allergy that
causes her to lick parts of her hind legs and feet which causes sores. The
vet thinks its a granuloma problem as she's tested negative for ringworm
and doesn't appear to have fleas (she's mainly white haired).

She's currently on Triamcinolone (1 mg/day). Prednisolone seemed to stop
working as she probably built up a tolerance to it.

Anyway, I'm trying to wean her off of Fancy Feast. Removing wheat glutens
and corn from her diet by using Hills Prescription Diet d/d didn't work.

If I switch to a diet of cooked chicken, what chicken do I buy?
I was looking at the Perdue skinless and boneless breast cuts in the
supermarket which are 99% fat free. It says "no additives" and "mininal
processing".

I was thinking of giving her this in addition to Dermcaps from Drs. Foster
and Smith. It's a vitamin supplement that's high in Omega oils, which are
supposed to heal the skin for cats with allergic conditions.

Comments and any advice would be appreciated. I know there's natural cat
foods out there but I'm worried about going with a small food manufacturer
out of fears of quality control. Some say because they're smaller
distributors, they have better control, but I'm still a little leery.
If only Purina would use their clout, and develop better and more extensive
lines of food. Every time they introduce a "natural" food, I get excited,
only to look at the ingredients and see the same byproducts and mixture of
every protein under the sun.

Sorry to digress. Has anyone had luck with the cooked chicken diet?

Old November 14th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Roby

You need to provide the taurine that Perdue leaves out. (Gosh, I'm
glad they leave it out!)

I tried liquid DermCaps on my granuloma kitty. He refused to eat food
having the oil mixed in and gave me a real battle when I tried to give
it by mouth. Capsules are probably better. Dr F&W's shipping and
handling charge is hefty - sometimes better to buy locally.
Old November 14th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

Not sure about chicken as I'm not in your area, but I've had great success
feeding chicken and kangaroo mince. My clowder react to a lot of commercial
foods with diarhea and/or hurking and as they are mostly littermates &
mother I think it's genetic. i give them mince with some grated carrot, a
small amount of quick cooking oats, some cold pressed olive oil, an
occasional egg yolk, and vitamin powder (including taurine of course) mixed
in. Ever since I changed them, there is no smelly pooping, flatulence, and
regurgitating as previously experienced. They are all healthy and shiny,
have great immune systems andno hairball trouble anymore either. So I'd
definitely say go ahead, as it's the only way I was able to solve my allergy
problems.

Old November 14th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"meeee" wrote:

Not sure about chicken as I'm not in your area, but I've had great success
feeding chicken and kangaroo mince.

I'm all out of Kangaroo so I called my supermarket and they seem to be
as well :-)
-mhd
Old November 14th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

wrote in message
"meeee" wrote:

Not sure about chicken as I'm not in your area, but I've had great success
feeding chicken and kangaroo mince.

I'm all out of Kangaroo so I called my supermarket and they seem to be
as well :-)
-mhd

Lol Really? well there's plenty here if you want some....skippy seems to be
very high on the pet ingredients list for some reason

Old November 15th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cybercat

wrote in message
"meeee" wrote:

Not sure about chicken as I'm not in your area, but I've had great success
feeding chicken and kangaroo mince.

I'm all out of Kangaroo so I called my supermarket and they seem to be
as well :-)

I imagine you would not be feeding it to breeder cats, in any case.

Old November 15th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phil P.

wrote in message

I was thinking of giving her this in addition to Dermcaps from Drs. Foster
and Smith. It's a vitamin supplement that's high in Omega oils, which are
supposed to heal the skin for cats with allergic conditions.

If you're trying to treat allergic skin conditions, DermCaps are probably
the worst thing to use. DermCaps are very high in omega-6 fatty acids--
omega-6s are *pro*inflammatory-- which is probably why prednisolone seemed
to stop working.

You might want to try 3V Caps HP liquid - its made by the same company (DVM
Pharmaceuticals).

http://dvmpharmaceuticals.com/3VHPdetailsheet.pdf

3V Caps are very high in omega-3 fatty acids-- which are anti-inflammatory.
Omega-3s and omega-6s compete for the same enzymes that omega-6s need to
generate an allergic reaction. So, increasing tissue concentrations of
omega-3s reduces the inflammatory responses.

Phil

Old November 15th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"cybercat" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"meeee" wrote:

Not sure about chicken as I'm not in your area, but I've had great success
feeding chicken and kangaroo mince.

I'm all out of Kangaroo so I called my supermarket and they seem to be
as well :-)

I imagine you would not be feeding it to breeder cats, in any case.

Breeder cats? Do you mean cats for breeding or cats from breeders? In
any case neither scenario applies to my 2 boys.

-mhd
Old November 15th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"meeee" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"meeee" wrote:

Not sure about chicken as I'm not in your area, but I've had great success
feeding chicken and kangaroo mince.

I'm all out of Kangaroo so I called my supermarket and they seem to be
as well :-)
-mhd

Lol Really? well there's plenty here if you want some....skippy seems to be
very high on the pet ingredients list for some reason

That to me seems sad just like eating Flipper would be :-)

-mhd