How about some brainstorming?

Old November 16th 04, 05:55 PM
Yoj

Default How about some brainstorming?

This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite varied.
I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.

At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding. After
disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house, only
to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I took
some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he ate.
However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the cat
door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a blanket
and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat, and
I don't want him to be.

As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come inside
again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.

My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
have to get him inside.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
to figure out what seems most likely to work.

--
Joy
Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Old November 16th 04, 06:07 PM
Sherry

My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
have to get him inside.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
to figure out what seems most likely to work.

--
Joy

Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once you get
him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in there often and
spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure, not being
overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to congregate at
the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it gives them a
chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of luck with
NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.

Sherry

Old November 16th 04, 06:17 PM
Bridget

How bout this.

You keep the pet door open only during certain hours - either when you
are at work, or when you are at home. The rest of the time it stays
locked. And when it is open, Nanki-poo is confined to a bedroom so he
can't get out.

Or

You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
have to be confined.

Good luck,
Bridget

Old November 16th 04, 08:06 PM
Jo Firey

For a while, I'd get Nabki in and confined to a room that doesn't have
access to the cat door. Then when Lindy is out blosk off the door and let
Nanki have the run of the house.

Actually what we did with Molly is keep her in a bedroom with food and
litter and a nice bed for several days. Till Jake got over trying to attack
her. He gets to go out. She shouldn't for quite a while yet.

Not working all that great. At least we are grateful she likes to climb
trees rather than sprint cross country.

Jo
om...

Old November 16th 04, 08:17 PM
Pat

"Bridget" wrote in message
How bout this.

You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
have to be confined.

I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a magnet-wearing
cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Old November 16th 04, 08:54 PM
Yowie

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

That, and "Feliway is your friend".

I've also heard dabbing both cats with vanilla essence helps because then
they both smell the same - same principle of taking a blanket/towel Lindy
has been lying on and rubbing it on Nanki-Poo.

I'd also lock the cat door for the time being. I'm sure Lindy already knows
how to tell you she wants out & back in.

Good luck!

Yowie

---