Call it what it is: killed NOT euthanized

Old January 5th 04, 09:16 AM
Luvskats00

Why? So I could keep the cat? If the only way I could have a child is
to dump the cat, then so be it.

If money is so tight that one has to make a choice between a cat and being a
parent to a human child, then that person shouldn't have adopted a cat in the
first place. Adopting a pet is a lifetime committment. It's not a thing to do
'til something better comes along. It's not a thing to do 'til a better job and
move to another location (no pets allowed) comes along.
Old January 5th 04, 01:00 PM
M.C. Mullen

| see: a can of high quality cat food is about 80-90 cents where I live.
| Twice a day that's $1.70 on the average -- around $50/month. Just for
|
| Guess what? I feed my cat's Nutro dry food. Not cheapo food. It costs me
| at most 30 dollars for *2* months.
|
| Right. But you can't get cheap WET premium food.
|

| Seriously, even with the costs you are saying, if the baby makes your
| money that tight, you cannot afford the baby. 50 dollars can easily be
| eaten up if your baby ends up having even a common health problem.
Shoot,
| it probably can easily be taken up just by the added health insurance
(if
| you can even afford it... most are more expensive for one person than 50
| dollars a month) the baby will give you.
|
| For some people, the arrival of a baby brings about many changes such
| as "belt-tightening" in many places, including getting rid of a cat or
| cats.

There must be a spelling mistake - it's: car or cars :-)

Carola

Old January 5th 04, 02:39 PM
Linda Terrell

Why? So I could keep the cat? If the only way I could have a child is
to dump the cat, then so be it.

Then why take in an animal and NOT commit to it?
The animal has bvonded with you by now. Has
committed to YOU, but now you think it's fine to
just dump it.

I think that is cruel.

Cats don't need wet food. Feed it Meow mix if you have to.
It'll survive on that until you're financially better off.

LT

Old January 5th 04, 05:43 PM

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Ray Ban wrote:
Right. But you can't get cheap WET premium food.

And if worse comes to worse, you don't have to feed it. And, yes, I know
it's hypothecial situation, but it's a stupid one and I was pointing out
why I'd still have no sympathy for you if you found out that you were
having a baby and that left you no money for a cat.

For some people, the arrival of a baby brings about many changes such
as "belt-tightening" in many places, including getting rid of a cat or
cats.

And they shouldn't have had a baby then! They shoudl have used birth
control until they didn't have to do such tight belt tightening. Sorry,
but that's the truth. Just cuase they were irresponsible (to both cat and
kid) dosen't mean I'm going to sympathize with them.

Why? So I could keep the cat? If the only way I could have a child is
to dump the cat, then so be it.

Because as I said, if having the baby meant you had so litlte money you
had to get rid of the cat, then you really couldn't have afforded the baby
anyways! Getting rid of the cat isn't even going to give you enough money
for the health insurance. And forget getting any medical care if you
couldn't afford the health insurance. Even a dr's exam is expensive (90
dollars just for a sick exam at the place near me and for a full checkup,
it can run in the hundreds). I know, I'm without health insurance.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old January 5th 04, 08:59 PM
Ray Ban

"Linda Terrell" wrote in message ...
Why? So I could keep the cat? If the only way I could have a child is
to dump the cat, then so be it.

Then why take in an animal and NOT commit to it?
The animal has bvonded with you by now. Has
committed to YOU, but now you think it's fine to
just dump it.

In my hypothetical situation, the cat came first.

I think that is cruel.

I think not.

Cats don't need wet food. Feed it Meow mix if you have to.
It'll survive on that until you're financially better off.

I don't want the cat to just survive.
Old January 6th 04, 03:42 PM
Ray Ban

wrote in message ...
[...]

If the only way to be able to afford having the baby is to get rid of
the cat, then it's perfectly OK to get rid of the cat. That's my
opinion because a cat no matter what is just an animal.
Old January 6th 04, 06:17 PM
Barb

No one should have a baby if they can't afford it. (With their own, not
tax-payer money.) You are quite right. I didn't see the start of this
thread but what I have seen makes me wonder...if you can't afford to keep
your cat because you have a baby, what happens if you have another baby? Do
you get rid of the first baby?

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Old January 6th 04, 11:38 PM
Ray Ban

"Barb" wrote in message ...
No one should have a baby if they can't afford it. (With their own, not
tax-payer money.) You are quite right. I didn't see the start of this
thread but what I have seen makes me wonder...if you can't afford to keep
your cat because you have a baby, what happens if you have another baby? Do
you get rid of the first baby?

No, you get rid of your spouse :- I don't know how the best way to
handle this situation because I've never been in this situation. I
suppose you can:
- borrow money from relatives, friends, credit card companies, home
equity loan, etc.
- get a grant from the government -- i.e., get money that other
tax-payers worked for
- etc.

Again, my position is I'd do infinitely more for my child/ren than for
my cat/s.